Using the Primaris Captain in Phobos armour

Paulinus

So, I’m sure I’m not the first to think of this.

I’m looking to play test the Phobos captain in an indomitus crusader détachement.

Make him a grey shield for the additional chapter tactic for a turn, give him the reliquary relic.

At least now, he can infiltrate close to the enemy and put the hurt on psyker heavy lists (especially with a culexus nearby). Still has a deep strike protection bubble and his warlord trait can help the detachment from a distance for one turn.

He’ll be part of a Guilliman led mainly infantry force.

You're going to put your warlord front and center in the middle of the event army on the first turn? That's a lot of points, strats, and relics gone away pretty much before the game starts.

His best use is parked someplace safe near a large unit of Hellblasters, giving them the benefit of Target Priority. +1 to hit against a unit, rerolling 1s, means you cannot overheat ever.

I've tried other uses for him, and Target Priority is simply the best.

He’s not the warlord. He just gets a second warlord trait. And he won’t be alone. Hiding him isn’t that hard.

Ah, ok.

I guess it could work once or twice. You'll have to plan to drop him very early in your deployment to make sure your opponent doesn't screen him away with chaff non psyker units, or deny your ideal hiding spots.

If you play ITC missions, he'll be a little more hit or miss since the three scenarios where players deploy their entire army can be very good for you or very bad.

It's worth testing out.