Modernized Khorne Berzerkers thread

I think the Berzerker kit is scaled too small.  You get stumpy arms.  Plus the old kit only has enough axes to actually build 6 bodies so it's not only not great visually but it doesn't really save you money.  Unless you only want to use GW plastic, I don't think it's a great option.  But that's just my opinion, I'm sure some others don't mind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a word of warning with Shapeways chainaxes - I found that after several months, mine have gone "sparkly", and this was even visible through primer. It was quite bizarre.

I've moved onto using Conversion World chainaxes, which look better to me anyway IMHO.

What does "all sparkly" mean? I am thinking about buying a bunch of Shapeway axes because I hate working with the Forgeworld axes I've got and they keep breaking off.

Edited by Schurge

Just a word of warning with Shapeways chainaxes - I found that after several months, mine have gone "sparkly", and this was even visible through primer. It was quite bizarre.

I've moved onto using Conversion World chainaxes, which look better to me anyway IMHO.

What does "all sparkly" mean? I am thinking about buying a bunch of Shapeway axes because I hate working with the Forgeworld axes I've got and they keep breaking off.

As in, it looked like they were rolled in glitter.

Maybe I got a bad batch, maybe it's to do with the heat here, but that was my experience. They also had very visible layers from the printing process.

The Conversion World axes are nothing like Forgeworld or Finecast. My experience was that the detail was crisp, there were no bubbles, and no mould lines at all. Just one bit of the resin gate at the bottom, which was very easy to clean off. I do recommend pinning them into the hands that hold them (I used a 0.8mm drill bit).

Finished up the squad, super happy with them!

gallery_92768_15770_6299.jpg

Here is a pic showing the chainaxe bit better. There are definite printing lines and the bit itself isn't very sharp, but after i slapped paint on it i was still pretty happy with the purchase. I'd give Conversion World a shot next time. I do like them a lot more than the forge world bits though.

gallery_92768_15770_181661.jpg

Edited by Guiltysparc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just to chip in with a few quick questions for those that have already done this.

I have about 30 old badly painted berserkers in storage at my folks house. I've planned to renew them for years and looking to build 2 units of 8 for fluff and practicality reasons!

I've got a set of the ten shadowspear CSMs and also about 5 spare heads from the skullcrushers set.

1. If I buy a box of the blood warriors, I presume the heads are comparable size to the skullcrusher ones?

2. What would be the best legs to put on some of the blood warrior torsos to make up the other 6? Should I just try to source a few new CSM legs?

3. I reckon I've got almost enough chain axes on my old berserkers. Will they look bad alongside the Forgeworld ones? Or the new sculpts? I seem to remember them being pretty chunky? I can cut them off at the hand if needed.

Hi just to chip in with a few quick questions for those that have already done this.

I have about 30 old badly painted berserkers in storage at my folks house. I've planned to renew them for years and looking to build 2 units of 8 for fluff and practicality reasons!

I've got a set of the ten shadowspear CSMs and also about 5 spare heads from the skullcrushers set.

1. If I buy a box of the blood warriors, I presume the heads are comparable size to the skullcrusher ones?

2. What would be the best legs to put on some of the blood warrior torsos to make up the other 6? Should I just try to source a few new CSM legs?

3. I reckon I've got almost enough chain axes on my old berserkers. Will they look bad alongside the Forgeworld ones? Or the new sculpts? I seem to remember them being pretty chunky? I can cut them off at the hand if needed.

1: They're the same size

2: Mark III legs work for me, imo.

3: It's mainly the hand/arm being chunky. The axes themselves are fine.

The blood warrior torsos lack abdomens, luckily most of the new csms have the abdomens attached to the legs, with separate bits for the chest plate. So just replace the front chest plate with blood warrior chests, minor green stuff work required.

And yeah, blood warrior heads work great for this:)

The blood warrior torsos lack abdomens, luckily most of the new csms have the abdomens attached to the legs, with separate bits for the chest plate. So just replace the front chest plate with blood warrior chests, minor green stuff work required.

And yeah, blood warrior heads work great for this:)

Not quite, the new CSM kit is a mix of single legs with matching torso/single leg combos.  ie, one bit is the torso plus one leg, another bit is the matching other leg.  One or two of the sculpts have both legs as one bit with a matching torso, sans legs, bit.  Its super different from the primaris kits with the totally separate torso and legs.  I can take a couple pics of the assembly book if that would be helpful.

• 1 year later...

Greeting.

I have started a pandemic project about creating a nice World eaters ary. I thought, that I am not able to play for a while, but I like building and painting so Istarted to look for ways to create proper Berzerkers.

I owned a World Eaters legion, when the Berzerker kit was relatively new but nowadays they are totally outdated.

So I build mine using the Chaos Space Marines combined with blood warriors (AoS) front torsos and their axes and their helmets.

Now if  could just figure out how to upload pictures of my taskforce Ygethddon...

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, sorry for some kind of thread necromancy.

I like to get answered a few questions regarding Khorne Berzerkers:

1.) Aren´t Chainswords better than Chainaxes these days? Chainsword offers S5, -1 Rend, 1 Damage and an additional attack, while Chainaxes offer S6 which I can´t see that beneficial.

2.) If I like to equip the Berzerker Champion wit either 2x Chainswords OR 2x Lightning Claws, does he get 2 additional attacks or still just 1 additional attack?

Thanks in advance!

Here are answers to your queries.

1.) In many situations, chainaxes offer no benefit. But in my meta I face a decent number of T3 foes so chainaxes are worth it for me. Like many WE players I like to forgo bolt pistols and give my Zerkers 1 chainaxe and 1 chainsword each so that I can benefit from the 2 extra chainsword attack (1 for each time I fight).

2.) I could be wrong but I don't think multiple chainswords attacks stack. I think you only get the +1. Lightning claws have now been FAQ'd so that 2 lightning claws do, in fact, grant you 2 extra attacks. I've tried out dual lightning claws on my (magnetized) Zerker Champions and I kept wishing I had just kept my powerfist. So before committing to dual lightning claws on your Zerker Champs try out both dual Claw and chainsword/fist combos in test games.

I do sometimes give dual lightnibg claws to an Exalted Champion because it looks cool and he's often kept back in my 2nd wave as a support unit not a front line brawler.

Hi guys, sorry for some kind of thread necromancy.

I like to get answered a few questions regarding Khorne Berzerkers:

1.) Aren´t Chainswords better than Chainaxes these days? Chainsword offers S5, -1 Rend, 1 Damage and an additional attack, while Chainaxes offer S6 which I can´t see that beneficial.

2.) If I like to equip the Berzerker Champion wit either 2x Chainswords OR 2x Lightning Claws, does he get 2 additional attacks or still just 1 additional attack?

Thanks in advance!

1. It's less cut-and-dried now, sure, but I wouldn't say chainswords are objectively better. There are enough T3, T5 and T6 enemies out there that makes chainaxes very useful. The normal advice of simply equipping a Berzerker with both still stands, giving you the best of both worlds - but that said, there have been many times where I wished I had a handful of pistol shots before charging (not to mention the best likelihood of being futureproof). If I were to make a Berzerker squad now, I would give them pistols and chainaxes.
  2. The model would get +1 attack for each weapon, so +2 attacks total if he has two weapons.

2.) I could be wrong but I don't think multiple chainswords attacks stack. I think you only get the +1. Lightning claws have now been FAQ'd so that 2 lightning claws do, in fact, grant you 2 extra attacks. I've tried out dual lightning claws on my (magnetized) Zerker Champions and I kept wishing I had just kept my powerfist. So before committing to dual lightning claws on your Zerker Champs try out both dual Claw and chainsword/fist combos in test games.

Its 2 attacks for paired chainswords as well, they don't 'stack' they're just two different weapons so if one was buffed by a crusade weapon enhancement you'd have to make 1 non-enhanced attack. Same with lightning claws (in 8th you could upgrade one claw and make your bonus attack with it but no longer).

I took a power fist/plasma pistol champ in one squad and a dual lightning claw champ in my second squad to the London GT last weekend and the claws were better. Most of the time the power fist only got a single hit/wound in. My terminators had 2 fists, 1 chain fist and a bunch of lightning claw pairs and I was wishing I had all claws even against multi-wound targets.

Edited by Closet Skeleton