Black Book 5: Attrition

bluntblade

So, more ideas for our "Atlantic in the void" campaign, mostly in terms of the Loyalist side:

• Various survivors from Katorz, Hatross and elsewhere
  • Possibly small numbers of Astartes, most likely Scions and maybe Lions, Predators and I'm keen to add some Blackshields too
  • Possibly the campaign ends as the Loyalists sense the net tightening, and spring a huge attack on one convoy before legging it to more friendly space

• 4 weeks later...

Right, going to ease back into the subject over my holidays. Blunt has asked me to post suggested character and army names for the battles in this book... Thing is, I'm pretty sure he's got a much better handle on what he wants going on in them ^^'

Part I: Battle of Iyacrax

Loyalist Commanders: Orr'eon Lakestrider

Loyalist Forces: Iron Bears, Taghmata Iyacrax, Halcyon Wardens?

Traitor Commanders: Kozja Darzalas

Traitor Forces: Warbringers, Godslayers or Morningstars

Part II: War in the Halo Stars (temporary name and location)

Loyalist Commanders:

Loyalist Forces: Cypra Mundine {Tech-Auxilia}

Traitor Commanders:

Traitor Forces: {Majapahit Auxilia} (will eventually fall to Slaanesh as the war rolls on)

Part III: Siege of Vredu IX / Hive Douan (temporary name and location - the Minas XYZ names were a bit on the nose)

Loyalist Commanders: Samad Joven

Loyalist Forces:

Traitor Commanders:

Traitor Forces:

At Thorn's prompting, I'm gonna try and nail down some of the concepts for these battles a bit more. So:

Iyacrax will run much as before, with running battles as the forge-fane are assaulted, taken and retaken until the world itself is ground out.

• We can also have a ticking clock element with regard to resources, as the need to rebuild and repair outstrips supplies
  • The initial invasion, the arrival of the Bears and the Warbringers regrouping and pressing the attack until it becomes apparent to both sides that the world is burning out
  • We need to establish the geography of the planet but we should have a handful of cities where the Iron Bears manage to dig in
  • There's an initial attack on the world's moon Phoreul, led by the Ninth Principiate

The Siege of Vredu IX/Hive Douan I'd sum up as Verdun in spirit, but inside a Hive City. So a lynchpin world is wracked with rebellion, which is stamped out but allows the Insurrectionists to take control of much of the surface. However, the Loyalists hold until aid comes, keeping an important sector safe (perhaps enabling a strike against the Insurrectionists later on).

• I like of the idea of some Mechanicum troops turning a district into No/Dead Man's Town, so it becomes all but impassable
  • We can have menial servitors and vehicles refitted for fighting too, which I like the idea of playing later on in the battle
Edited by bluntblade