Why is the Emperor so huge in this Blanche pic?

The emperor could control the size at which he was perceived when alive, maybe he’s doing that here :smile.:

Don't very few people actually get to see the emperor though? bit of crowd. the chair is also massive.

I like the explanation most that it is peace of art within the 40k universe, i like to think most blanche art is actually imperial artwork rather than depictions of actual events.

Edited by HereticMarine1

The emperor could control the size at which he was perceived when alive, maybe he’s doing that here :smile.:

Don't very few people actually get to see the emperor though? bit of crowd. the chair is also massive.

I like the explanation most that it is peace of art within the 40k universe, i like to think most blanche art is actually imperial artwork rather than depictions of actual events.

Yeah, I’m only half serious :)

Although in Master of Mankind, when people see the emperor on the throne it is told as a very unique/personal experience for each person so it’s possoble this visage is the artists version of their personal experience when seeing the emperor but will be totally different for everyone else.

To echo what others have said ... it's most likely a case of this being an exterior representation of The Emperor - rather like, in a certain sense, the Murti [or 'Temple Statue'] rather than *the* actual Emperor. Still useful for symbolic purposes; prayers and offerings made at it will still reach Him ...

... but it'd be very surprising, I would have surmised, if The Emperor would *actually* have all that foot-traffic moving through in His immediate, august presence. The risk of somebody tripping over a power-cord would be ... worrying, for a start.

Alternatively, it's a very very large death-masque equivalent, with the Emperor somewhere inside the gigantic sculpted Not-Quite-Dead Emperor exterior that houses Him. 

IIRC they actually did this in the video game Vermintide 1 (Fantasy I know, not 40k, but the same principle). In one mission you go to a Wizard's mansion and there are a bunch of Blanche artworks hanging on the walls. The Witch Hunter character even comments that the artist was burned for heresy :wink:.

Ah yes, artistic licence by some 41st millennium imperial artist rather than reality, dunno why i didn't think of that.

Malcador must have struggled if the throne was actually that big.

To be fair, Malcador was struggling a lot.

Exactly what sfPanzer wrote.

John Blanche is an 'atmospheric' artist, so to speak. His drawings and paintings are meant to evoke precisely that, an atmosphere, to display the rotting majesty of the decaying Imperium of Mankind, the crazed faith of the ragged hordes that worship a corpse as though it held all the power of the universe in its skeleton hands, even as it writhes in agony under the shackles of a torture engine of its own making.

I have always treated the art from 40k to be make by "remembers"

As such most of the art would probably be censure or influence from different agencies within the imperium.

So the get this nice 'atmospheric' art, that seems to show the Emperor as large as a titan and with a more Mechanicum look.

With would fit well with Imperial propaganda

Ah yes, artistic licence by some 41st millennium imperial artist rather than reality, dunno why i didn't think of that.

Malcador must have struggled if the throne was actually that big.

To be fair, Malcador was struggling a lot.

Is that because he couldn't take toilet breaks while on the golden throne?