Bubbles and Transports

Foudroyant Virus

Dear Hivemind,

I´m looking for some new army concepts. One of them is using a Herald in a transport. I thought i read somewhere, that bubbles dont work out of vehicles. But I cant find that. Can someone quote ( or tell me the page number) where it is clarified?

Thank you very much!

It's not on the table when it's embarked... EDIT: Though after a quick check I've got to admit I don't think there's anything in the BRB specifically SAYING auras don't work, other than Psykers being limited to Witchfire.

Edited by Shandathe

It's not on the table when it's embarked... EDIT: Though after a quick check I've got to admit I don't think there's anything in the BRB specifically SAYING auras don't work, other than Psykers being limited to Witchfire.

On the other hand there is nowhere a hint, that bubbles work as well. ;)

On the other hand there is nowhere a hint, that bubbles work as well. :wink:

Yep. As I said, it's not on the battlefield. The old 7th Edition FAQ (which should probably be considered relevant-ish) said:

Q: I have a question regarding unit special rules that affect all or some units within a certain range of a model or unit. How do these interact with units inside Transports, and what happens if the unit with the rule is inside a Transport?

A: When a unit embarks on a vehicle it is taken off the battlefield and does not interact with anything on the battlefield. However, certain rules may create exceptions to this rule, with the most obvious examples being Fire Points, psychic powers and Transports. If a unit’s rules are meant to apply even when embarked on a Transport, they will specify this.

And 8th Edition outright states it in its Transports sidebar, but for Horus Heresy specifically I'm having trouble finding it spelled out explicitly. I'm still very much inclined to say "don't do it" though.

Edited by Shandathe

I dont like the "they are not on the battlefield"-argument.

Sadly I dont have my AoD Rulebook at hand atm, but in the 7. Edition Rulebook it says under the Transports-headline something along the line:

"If units embark, you take them off the battlefield and put them aside. If it is necessary to measure distances to or from the embarked unit, measure to the hull of the transport"

I think that shows nicely, that the unit is still on the Battlefield. But the FAQ seems to be quite clear on that. I will have to look through the AoD-FAQs :)

Its because we no longer have access to the Old 30k FAQs, where they had clarified this.

IIRC, it was in relation to Dorn and his Sire rule which allowed units in the army to use his Leadership "while in play" and if it was active while he was embarked in a Transport. The answer to that effect was, no, since he was embarked, he was technically not on the table and thus not "in play".

It might not have been specifically Dorn but the question was about a similar ability.

I dont like the "they are not on the battlefield"-argument.

Sadly I dont have my AoD Rulebook at hand atm, but in the 7. Edition Rulebook it says under the Transports-headline something along the line:

"If units embark, you take them off the battlefield and put them aside. If it is necessary to measure distances to or from the embarked unit, measure to the hull of the transport"

I think that shows nicely, that the unit is still on the Battlefield. But the FAQ seems to be quite clear on that. I will have to look through the AoD-FAQs :)

They made a FAQ for that to clear out that it is NOT that way, which was quoted one post before you posted that so no, in 7th edition bubbles didn't work out of vehicle. Models counted not on the battlefield anymore.

Even of so it doesn't matter because HH has it's own rulebook and that's where the tricky part starts.

The book doesn't state what happens with embarked models.

Can effects work out of them other than shooting?

Can troops still score?

When sitting in a building the ydo which is meantioned in a seperate paragraph and when the sit in a flying transport they do not because that as well is specifically forbidden. But nowhere the rules explain properly how and if those effecty still apply when a unit ist on board of a vehicle.

Frustrating.

Very frustrating, for me this comes up with cortex controllers and Alpharius. I suppose we as a group, house rule.

I would argue that, as there is nothing specific in the rules that state these effects don’t work whilst embarked in a vehicle, therefore they should still be in effect.

RAI suggests that the models are still “in play”, after all, they can be injured by shooting attacks (Glaive Volkite weapon) and can fire weapons from fire points etc.

Cadmus

The thing is, 40k and by extension 30k, is a permissive ruleset.

Meaning, unless something tells you you can do x/y/z, you're otherwise unable to.

Shooting from vehicular fire points is a good example of this: the vehicle needs to allow for it to happen. Otherwise, you can't even do it.

Similarly with vehicles that have differing transporting capacities: Stormbirds can carry rhinos because theyre specifically allowed to do so. Same with Thunderhawks and Jump Pack/Bike equipped models.

In the same vein, the Glaive damaging units inside a vehicle only happens because of the Glaive allowing you to do so. Under otherwise normal circumstances, you wouldnt be able to.

So, to me, unless the rules say you can make use of auras from units embarked inside vehicles, you can't.