Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

For Baal - Snorri's Blood Angels Hobby log

Painting Conversions Games rebuild revenge

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,005 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Hey folks,

been a long time since I last posted some pictures here, and at that time, I used a dedicated thread for it. So, with the ETL 2019 being underway in full speed, I thought I might give it a go again.

In this thread, you'll find a bit of my hobby progression regarding my only 40k army, the Blood Angels. This is your Captain Obvious speaking, coulda read the title...

So without further ado, I'm glad to present to you my most recent additions to my no-longer-stagnant force:

Donatos Aphael and my interpretation of his weapon-loadout:

Donatos Aphael, 2nd Company Captain
for Baal.
back
side

Some of you may remember him as an unfinished project on my workbench, and he's only recently seen completion.

Also fairly fresh out of production is the Librarian Dreadnought. I painted both of these before getting into the ETL, I swear!

Librarian Dreadnought
side
back

And since I've already mentioned it, I've pledged 6 devastators with 2 lascannons and rocket launchers and the points for a Armourium cherub and like 4 squads of scouts for this year's ETL.

Spoiler

Since I've mostly worked on the Scouts, I've added the progress shots below. Their red is shaded and highlighted in quite stark contrast, but it doesn't show too well in the pictures.

IMG 8177 (2)
IMG 8178 (2)
IMG 8179 (2)

They'll get gray-ish pants and the camo cloaks will have some urban-ish camouflage.

I picked the devastators up on ebay on the cheap, so there wasn't a blister included that would allow me to build the fat winged baby robot Armorium Cherub.
Good thing I can use that as an excuse to build my own representation of it and add it to my pledge. So here you go.

IMG 8182 (2)
IMG 8181 (2)

Well, that's it for today. I'll paint some of these bad boys up a little more, could be that I can manage to get them done by the end of the week.

I'd love to pledge another unit or two.

Thanks for watching.

Snorri

• Leonaides, Bjorn Firewalker, Spyros and 3 others like this
My 2nd Company Blood Angels
WE ARE BLOODIED, BLOODIED YET UNBOWED!

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,077 posts
Lovely painting!
  • SnorriSnorrison likes this

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,083 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Excellent work on Aphael and the Librarian Dreadnought.

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Majkhel

Majkhel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,009 posts

Really like your paint-job! The CCW of the Libby dread looks especially menacing :)

WIP thread - Blood Angels 5th Company "Daemonbanes"
gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpggallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_05.gifETL_2018_Medal_06_Dominus_Exercitus.gifETL_Medal_01.gifgallery_48988_15465_15162.png

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~W. Churchill

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,005 posts
Thanks, you guys! I’m making some good progress on the scouts, I’m confident to get them done by the end of the week.
In time too, for I’ve got a little test game coming up on Saturday against the voracious hive fleet kraken! Baal needs reinforcements truly!

I’ll post the lists here soon, might do a battle report of some sort.

Snorri
  • Blindhamster likes this

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,005 posts

Hey folks,

update on my vow - the scouts are finished! Later than expected, obviously, since the game on saturday took a little bit of my time.

IMG 8260 (4)
IMG 8261 (3)
IMG 8262 (2)
IMG 8263 (2)
IMG 8264 (2)
IMG 8264 (2)

If you wanna read what basically took only 2-4 turns to finish, click on the spoiler button below.
Warning! Long text and images.

Spoiler

Will update the Devs soon hopefully. Sleep now.

Snorri

• Leonaides, Bjorn Firewalker, Jolemai and 4 others like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,083 posts
The Scouts are well done.

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Mordas

Mordas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts

very nice work!

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,005 posts
Thanks guys!
I would’ve loved to paint tonight, but my apartment is hotter than the devils behind entrance.
I’ll have some time tomorrow after my next game, I think. Need to pick up some micro sol and set as well for the decals I’ve put on the scouts and devastators.

Hope to have an update and perhaps a battle report by Sunday.
I got new dice so looking forward to some better rolls!

Snorri

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,077 posts

trick to get best results for decals is:

Gloss varnish the area you want to have the decal on.

once dried, apply a small amount of micro set to the area the decal is going to go.

put decal on and smooth out with something like a damp cotton bud.

put micro sol on the decal.

varnish with gloss again

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,005 posts

once dried, apply a small amount of micro set to the area the decal is going to go.

varnish with gloss again

Good run down of the procedure, thanks mate!

Since the decals on the scouts have already been applied, I'll just give them a brush of micro sol or two and then varnish with gloss, before varnishing again with matte varnish.

I'll try to refrain from buying the q-tip cotton buds though, those and straws are horrible and will probably end up trashing the oceans. Is environmental awareness a thing in the grim dark future of 41k?no.gif

Snorri

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,077 posts

varnish with gloss again

Since the decals on the scouts have already been applied, I'll just give them a brush of micro sol or two and then varnish with gloss, before varnishing again with matte varnish.

I'll try to refrain from buying the q-tip cotton buds though, those and straws are horrible and will probably end up trashing the oceans. Is environmental awareness a thing in the grim dark future of 41k?no.gif

Snorri

Yeah I actually use a brush usually, it doesn't work QUITE as well but is still decent. Most tutorials recommend cotton buds though. :)

Majkhel

Majkhel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,009 posts

Is environmental awareness a thing in the grim dark future of 41k?no.gif

Snorri

I'm afraid that Exterminatus-happiness is dulling it out a bit.

I do remember that in 'Master od Mankind' there was a gal who was executed for stealing the remains of Old Earth oceans. So in M30, Emps was at least making some effort.

Edited by Majkhel, 27 July 2019 - 08:56 AM.

• ranulf the revenant likes this

WIP thread - Blood Angels 5th Company "Daemonbanes"
gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpggallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_05.gifETL_2018_Medal_06_Dominus_Exercitus.gifETL_Medal_01.gifgallery_48988_15465_15162.png

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~W. Churchill

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,005 posts

varnish with gloss again

I'll try to refrain from buying the q-tip cotton buds though, those and straws are horrible and will probably end up trashing the oceans. Is environmental awareness a thing in the grim dark future of 41k?:no:
Snorri

Yeah I actually use a brush usually, it doesn't work QUITE as well but is still decent. Most tutorials recommend cotton buds though. :)

That was pretty good advice, Blindhamster. The solution agent worked its magic and the decals look a a lot better. Probably shouldn’t have varnished them over first, but hey.

Is environmental awareness a thing in the grim dark future of 41k?:no:
Snorri

I'm afraid that Exterminatus-happiness is dulling it out a bit.
I do remember that in 'Master od Mankind' there was a gal who was executed for stealing the remains of Old Earth oceans. So in M30, Emps was at least making some effort.

Yeah right?

Big E, looking out for his fellow humankind, such a nice touch!

Anyways, just got my rear armour handed to me, I called the game after turn 1 with my warlord slain, both my devastator squads either having fallen back or being wiped and the annihilator also having fallen back.

His list had 2 flyrants, the swarmlord and another hive tyrant. We played frontal assault and he got to go first. 23” move of the flyrant with advance (kraken) right in my face. Then doubled down with the swarm lord and game over basically.

I’ll stick to painting for now. :D

Snorri

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,005 posts

Hey folks, just some quick shots of the finished devastators from the ETL. This will be the direction I'm going for with the bases from now on. Perhaps I'll bring the scouts up to speed as well, but we'll see.

gallery_48413_15690_704178.png

gallery_48413_15690_1403623.jpg

gallery_48413_15690_792226.jpggallery_48413_15690_1940233.jpg

gallery_48413_15690_1496830.jpg

Is it just me or do these appear to be massively oversized?

• Bjorn Firewalker, Spyros and brother_b like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,083 posts
Excellent work on the Devastators.

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,077 posts
Lovely work!

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,005 posts

Predator finished! Part 1 of my second vow.

A bit disturbed by the way the varnish turned out, it's a bit too shiny for my liking. It's a satin matt varnish, but that's still a bit too much "satin" for me.

Predator Annihilator
side
back

Started on the Terminators, doing the bases separately first to avoid messing up the rather clean armour. Did a heavy shade of Reikland Flesh over the Pure Red armour and started edge highlights of Wild Rider Red. Will follow up with another edge highlight of Troll Slayer Orange.

Will update soon I hope!

• Bjorn Firewalker, Indefragable and brother_b like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,083 posts
Good job on the Predator.

Hintzy

Hintzy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 59 posts
They all look fantastic!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Painting, Conversions, Games, rebuild, revenge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users