Legio Atarus vs Legio Suturvora (BatRep / Large Pics)

Kilofix

1q6DKFz.jpg

2000 points

Legio Atarus

Warlord - Pair Apoc, Sunfury, Belicosa (Praetor)

Ferrox:

Reaver - Apoc, Gatling, Blaster

2 x Warhounds - Gatling, Plasma

Ferrox:

Reaver - Apoc, Melta, Blaster

2 x Warhounds - Gatling, Plasma

vs

Legio Suturvora

Dominus

Warlord - Pair Apoc, 2 x Belicosa (Praetor)

Warlord - PairGatling, 2 x Sunfury

Reaver - Apoc, Gatling, Blaster

Reaver - Apoc, Volcano, Blaster

6 x Questoris - Mix Melta, Cannon, Missiles

Deployment - Close Quarters

q1rxkQo.jpg

Atarus Mission - Retrieval

Suturvora Mission - Hold the Line

Turn 1

bzc6ySF.jpg

Suturvora goes forwards down the east lane.

East Atarus Gatling Reaver fires on the lead Suturvora Reaver but the Suturvora Knights (Dominus) take the hits on their Ions.

East Atarus Warhounds pour fire on the Suturvora Knights destroying 4.

Atarus Warlord and west Melta Reaver knock down Suturvora Belicosa Warlord’s shields.

West Atarus Warhounds on the west side are out of range.

Lead Suturvora Volcano Reaver’s return fire hits east Atarus Gatling Reaver’s shields (not pictured).

Suturvora Warlords knock down Atarus Warhound’s shields and damage them (not pictured).

Turn 2

0vyKbCY.jpg

Suturvora Belicosa Warlord uses Emergency Repair + (later) Normal Repair to regain 100% shields again.

One west Atarus Warhound retrieves the objective.

Suturvora Belicosa Warlord and lead Volcano Reaver destroy both east Atarus Warhounds.

Rear Suturvora Gatling Reaver fires ineffectively at east Atarus Gatling Reaver (as it is obscured).

Suturvora Sunfury Warlord fires ineffectively at west Atarus Melta Reaver (as it is obscured).

West Atarus Warhounds, west Melta Reaver and Warlord bring down Suturvora Belicosa Warlord’s shields again and seriously damage it’s body.

East Atarus Gatling Reaver destroys the remaining Suturvora Knights.

Turn 3

SaOkCGW.jpg

Suturvora Belicosa Warlord undergoes Emergency Repair again but is unable to raise shields.

Atarus Warhound that retrieved the objective turns to leave.

Second remaining Atarus Warhound moves to flank Suturvora Belicosa Warlord.

Suturvora Sunfury Warlord moves to interpose himself between the Belicosa Warlord and Atarus’ Warlord.

Rear Suturvora Gatling Reaver turns west to engage flanking Atarus Warhound.

Lead / east Suturvora Volcano Reaver exchanges fire with east Atarus Gatling Reaver. Suturvora’s Volcano is disabled while Atarus’ Apocalypse Missile Launcher is disabled.

Suturvora Sunfury Warlord exchanges fire with west Atarus Melta Reaver knocking each other’s shields down.

Atarus Warlord fires and knocks down shields of rear / west Suturvora Gatling Reaver.

Flanking Atarus Warhound seriously damages Suturvora Belicosa Warlord.

Turn 4

9CRjDEm.jpg

Atarus Warhound with objective escapes.

Remaining Atarus Warhound destroys Suturvora Belicosa Warlord - it’s plasma reactor catastrophically detonates but out of range of any other Titans.

Remaining Suturvora Warlord continues to exchange fire with west Atarus Melta Reaver.

East Suturvora and Atarus Reavers continue to exchange fire with each other.

West / rear Suturvora Gatling Reaver disables remaining Atarus Warhound’s Plasma Blastgun but takes heavy fire from Atarus Warlord causing its reactor redline.

Game continues.

Turn 5

2W2gzHY.jpg

West / rear Suturvora Gatling Reaver suffers a reactor meltdown and is silenced.

East Suturvora Volcano Reaver has no choice but to turn around in order to engage remaining Atarus Warhound.

Remaining Atarus Warhound shifts west to get cover.

Remaining Suturvora Warlord catastrophically damages West Atarus Melta Reaver and causes it to slump forwards into the building.

Atarus Warlord seriously damages remaining Suturvora Warlord.

Remaining Suturvora and Atarus Reavers both fire ineffectively.

Game continues.

Turn 6

ZDnX0Vh.jpg

Atarus Warlord finally destroys remaining Suturvora Warlord causing it to also slump forwards into the building.

Remaining Suturvora and Atarus Reavers Both fire ineffectively.

Game ends.

Atarus accomplishes objective. Tally: 2 Warlords, 1 Reaver, 6 Knights.

Suturvora fails objective. Tally: 1 Reaver, 2 Warhounds.

Notes

Knights still die fast when hit with plasma.

Positioning and arcs matter.

Focus fire.

Reactor in the orange almost guarantees a body hit.

Don’t rely on orders if not using Axiom.

Titan Hunter Infantry is irritating but not actually that effective.

Hail!

Love it! Visually very, very stimulating! What program have you used to generate all the special pyrotechnical effects?

Brilliant battle report also! I really, really have to get a game under my belt some time soon!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Great game and a really well put together batrep. Well played Atarus!

The hold the line mission is odd because it's kind of passive. It's more like you're giving your opponent a mission to rush across the board. It can be very difficult to score those points without killing all the enemy's fast units.

In retrospect, here’s where I think I lost the game. I think it’s an important teachable moment.

Turn 2:

DwWhwGL.png

Warlord (1) had undergone Emergency Repairs so it could not move if I wanted to fire. I could shoot the Melta Reaver in front of me with both Carapace and Arms but instead I chose to finish off the Warhound (1a) that was already crippled. That left the Melta Reaver to tie up Warlord 2 later. I should have used Warlord (1) to fire on the Melta Reaver.

Warlord (2), I maneuvered poorly resulting in an almost completely obstructed shot against the Melta Reaver. Meanwhile the Warhound (4) with the Objective is totally out of arc of Warlord (2)’s Carapace weapon. I should have pushed its reactor to turn Warlord (2) further towards Warhound (4).

Reaver (3) is obstructed by the Reaver in front of it and could only fire its Gatling at the opposing Reaver. I should have had Reaver (3) move left earlier to support the Warlords against the flanking Warhounds.

Good game. Good learnings.

It's a tiny detail but I love the Warhounds de-waisted laying there.

1/4" magnets in the hounds and reaver waists, 1/2" in the wl. I like that it let's me split them on the table when dead instead of just removing them.

I'm surprised that there aren't advanced rules available for Titan wreckage in the event that they don't explode into nuclear fireballs, especially for those instances where their reactor just dies, leaving a perfectly intact Titan silently standing there in the middle of the battlefield.

It's a tiny detail but I love the Warhounds de-waisted laying there.

1/4" magnets in the hounds and reaver waists, 1/2" in the wl. I like that it let's me split them on the table when dead instead of just removing them.

I'm surprised that there aren't advanced rules available for Titan wreckage in the event that they don't explode into nuclear fireballs, especially for those instances where their reactor just dies, leaving a perfectly intact Titan silently standing there in the middle of the battlefield.

There is. A 1 on the catastrophic damage roll leads to the titan falling silent and remains standing on the battlefield like a statue. It falls over if anything hits it for the rest of the game.

Old WD batreps used to do that when the Warlords went nova.

Kilofix, that's a great battle report and I really love the visual effects which definitely helped make sense of your notes. I also really liked your analysis of where you went wrong - that often helps you improve. I have yet to play a game, but clearly arc and facing are extremely important!

Facings and arcs are really important, yes. I also think that you need to really watch out for titans getting in each other’s way. It’s a real problem that can result in lost opportunities to move or shoot, which is a great way to reduce your firepower relative to your opponent’s.

So look out for bottlenecks and corridors (sometimes referred to as “roads” by small things) where your titans can only get through one at a time. Plan your moves ahead and work out how you’re going to negotiate obstacles like this.

The corridor up the right of this board is a great example. It’s been formed by a couple of buildings and the board edge. You ended up with one of your titans effectively stuck behind another, boxed in and with no alternative route. It’s like playing the game with one less titan until your trapped guy is free, while the front one is forced to advance whether it wants to or not, so its friend can join in.

These corridors can be useful. If at all possible you should stand a warlord at one end. Anything coming towards it won’t be able to escape its arc, which tends to make it die. Your opponent will then have to either commit loads to taking the warlord on, or just go elsewhere.

Example in the spoiler below, which gives some hints to how this went in a video batrep I did for the 30k channel a couple of months ago.

I recently played a game where my opponent had Glory and Honour. I put my “target” warlord on one side like this, where some large hills formed a sort of semi-corridor against the right board edge. I hadn't realised how good a position this was to be honest. It shot four Cerastus knights that were sent at it, then two warhounds who’d been following up bugged out and ran away. It shot one of them in the back as it withdrew and finished the game completely undamaged.

48323294411_55be5f53b2_h.jpg

This is turn one. See how the warhounds have to come through the narrow gap between the rocky hill and the building one at a time, so they aren’t able to support the knights. My warlord (nearest the camera) is happily set up able to blast anything that comes down that line, while fire coming from anywhere else is going to be heavily obscured by the hill to his left. You can’t see his sunfury arm, which is what got rid of the knights.

Facings and arcs are really important, yes. I also think that you need to really watch out for titans getting in each other’s way. It’s a real problem that can result in lost opportunities to move or shoot, which is a great way to reduce your firepower relative to your opponent’s.

So look out for bottlenecks and corridors (sometimes referred to as “roads” by small things) where your titans can only get through one at a time. Plan your moves ahead and work out how you’re going to negotiate obstacles like this.

The corridor up the right of this board is a great example. It’s been formed by a couple of buildings and the board edge. You ended up with one of your titans effectively stuck behind another, boxed in and with no alternative route. It’s like playing the game with one less titan until your trapped guy is free, while the front one is forced to advance whether it wants to or not, so its friend can join in.

These corridors can be useful. If at all possible you should stand a warlord at one end. Anything coming towards it won’t be able to escape its arc, which tends to make it die. Your opponent will then have to either commit loads to taking the warlord on, or just go elsewhere.

Example in the spoiler below, which gives some hints to how this went in a video batrep I did for the 30k channel a couple of months ago.

Pics

Is that actual sand? It looks cool.

Yeah it’s basically a sand pit. The guy who runs the channel likes to do it this way, apparently. He got a bunch of rocks and a bit of flat stuff for the bit that’s got buildings in, then filled the rest with a couple of inches of sand. They did it with salt for one of the other games, to represent snow. Everything tasted salty afterwards!

The game is at https://the30kchannel.com/video/legio-mortis-vs-legio-astorum/. It’s behind a paywall but you can do a free trial if you fancy watching it.