Best Primaris Units for Imperial Fists

Hello all

Been out of the game a little while. Starting to put together an Imperial Fists list and I'd like to include one primaris unit at the moment. My question is, what unit would best fit in with what I have at the moment?

This is what I am currently building - I don't play the game but I like my armies to have some tabletop viability whilst also being fluffy.

Primaris Captain (Dravastis Fane - 5th company)

Lieutenant

Librarian

Sternguard Squad(10) - Heavy flamer & heavy bolter

Tactical Squad x2 (10 each)

Scout Squad - snipers

Devastator Squad - missile launchers

Vindicator x2

Land Raider Redeemer

My thoughts are I don't have much anti tank firepower, though I do plan to give one of the tactical squads a multi melta and a melta gun and I have at least 1 rhino that one of the squads can run around in.

For AT firepower, the Primaris choices are a giant tank called the Repulsor Executioner (which can carry 6 Primaris marines), the Repulsor itself (which can carry 10 Primaris), Plasma Inceptors, Hellblasters, Suppressors, or things we haven't yet seen (like the new Eliminator weapons).

Unrelated to that list above, I personally feel the units that would fit IF in theme are Intercessors, Aggressors, and Bolt Inceptors. However, it seems you have a decent elite anti-infantry unit with the Sternguard so both the Aggressors and the Inceptors seem unnecessary, and you have two tactical squads so the Intercessors likewise seem redundant. 

You already kind of have a nice centrepiece armoured unit flanked by those Vindies, so I'd say the Repulsor feels a bit out of place here. That leaves Inceptors, Hellblasters, and Suppressors. It's probably easiest to get the first two as Suppressors are only in Shadowspear and they have trouble taking on T8 targets. 

So, out of those choices, I'd say the up-armoured Inceptors with the blast shield helmets probably fit best with what you have. This isn't really taking into account the competitive pros and cons and more trying for a particular look that would look unique, isn't totally redundant with your current force, and could fit the common siege style theme of IF. 

Thanks for the reply.

I've been having a think about it today, and was thinking perhaps I could ditch one of the tactical squads, add an intercessor squad, and make a second devastator squad with Lascannons.

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that the 5th company have more devastators than usual for a battle company, but not sure where - can you recall this?

Now my next thought was I don't have much that can pack a punch in close combat, however Ive probably got enough bits to make an assault squad and a close combat termie squad. I also have another Land Raider (Crusader) that needs a bit of surgery.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Intercessors are fantastic. There is a detachment you can take which makes them Veterans and it unlocks some great strats like doubling the number of shots.

A squad of 10 Veteran Intercessors can shoot 40 times @ 30" range at AP-1, and attack 31 times in close combat. A veteran Sgt with power fist has 4 attacks - more than a Terminator Sgt! This is great and thematic for Imperial Fists.

The Repulsor Executioner is a fantastic main battle tank - tremendous firepower, far greater than other Astartes tanks, and it can't be locked in combat as it can fly. It can also fly over terrain. It can also transport a small squad but if you want a transport the Regular Repulsor isn't a slouch.

If you want a hard hitting infantry unit consider Inceptors with Plasma. 6 of them is 12D3 plasma shots, and they can arrive anywhere on the tabletop and run from combat and still shoot. They can erase an elite infantry unit, squads of marines or a light tank from the board. Beware as they are often a priority target for an opponent.

Also, welcome to the start of a Prmaris collection. You'll love the models once you have your hands on them

• 2 weeks later...

I realized that I didn't plug one of the dark horse strats given you already have 2 Vindies. I've seen some serious pain coming from the linebreaker strat in the past little while. The trick here is to advance, pop smoke, and then pop the Stratagem for some great mortal wound output. With those two and the redeemer rushing forward, you'd have given your opponent a lot of things to think about. A crusader might be a better pick there for support, though.

Definitely would take the pressure off any Infantry like the lascannon devs.