Codex: Space Marines 2.0 speculation & discussion

Triszin

Also, Reivers benefit a lot from new Stratagems, like the ability to ignore enemy To Wound rolls of 1-3 or to automatically wound their opponent with to Hit rolls of an unmodified 6, so "net" I think they are a lot more dangerous.

Oh my... reading the errata shows the Flamestorm Cannon has gone up to 12" range.

That is big. 22" threat range from a Land Raider in a single turn.

I'm particularly looking forward to using it with Ultramarines. Fall Back and shoot combined with the Flamestorms will be fun. Edited by KhorneHunter57x

so whats the new lore in the book?

Not much from what I saw.

Same general fluff thats been passed down through the different editions of codices, but with more primaris fluff spliced into it. A few mystery/suspect successors are now confirmed (Death Specters for RG, Sons of the Pheonix for IF).

Most of the new lore is basically cleaning up the mess from Shadowspear and pertains to the 10th Company and the "Do Primaris have Scouts?" question.

The answer is "Yes, they do". The example timeline of an Ultramarines Primaris Marine has him deploy as a Scout two times before all of his organs are implanted and he becomes a Reiver.

Most of the new lore is basically cleaning up the mess from Shadowspear and pertains to the 10th Company and the "Do Primaris have Scouts?" question.

The answer is "Yes, they do". The example timeline of an Ultramarines Primaris Marine has him deploy as a Scout two times before all of his organs are implanted and he becomes a Reiver.

So Scout-Reiver-Hellblaster-Intercessor-Veteran?

Scout - Vanguard - Fire Support Reserve - Close Support Reserve - Battleline Reserve - Battle Company - Veteran Company

Although he doesn't stick to one squad type throughout his career, frequently changing from Phobos to Gravis to Tacitus units in any mix.

Have the dex in my hands.

My only real gripe. Reiver's carbines are still Assault 2, while the auto-bolt rifle is now Assault 3

Whomp whomp....

Was excited to use my space wolves kill teams lads (played as star phantoms successor tactics, just wolf paint scheme) as a fluffy-lookswise outflanking team with that Assault3 making them 15 shots, as a good rear-grabber unit.

Still only 10 though. :/

Ya, im honestly surprised by reivers getting almost no changes. I REALLY want to like them, I really do. but :/

Reivers are much better.

-Cheaper, only 16 points!

-Terror Troops now stacks. Two squads and a Lt have a -3 Ld debuff to enemy units.

-Doctrines benefit Carbines and Knives

Yeah, I get that, which is cool! They'll be monsters in the Assault doctrine, for sure!  Finally absolutely-worth-taking-if-you-have-them! But it's literally just a 5 man squad from my Kill Team models.

Mine would be no real tactics or building around them, just would've been nice to have something to take for the 15 backfield shots with the grapnel hooks for fun shenanigans and the outflank.

Can't much justify them over my inceptors with only their 10 bolter shots when for a few more points can drop three inceptors with their six basically-heavy-bolters to do the same. Especially since I'll likely spend most of my games in the Tactical doctrine, since it's a fluffy "firepower is king" Star Phantoms army, the inceptors are even dirtier in that.

Was just looking for some minor justification to take the lads and I guess, thinking "Why not the same gun profile for what was/is basically the same gun by a different name..."

Just a very minor, minor, microscopic gripe.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Scout - Vanguard - Fire Support Reserve - Close Support Reserve - Battleline Reserve - Battle Company - Veteran Company

Although he doesn't stick to one squad type throughout his career, frequently changing from Phobos to Gravis to Tacitus units in any mix.

I really liked those two pages. In a very neat way they clarified a lot of things.

What I was really hoping for was something on the Repulsor page which explains how high they get dropped from when they insert from the air. (My bet is low flying aircraft, not orbit.) Alas, nothing definitive.

Target Priority warlord trait has been nerfed to a PHOBOS unit gets +1 to hit rolls

I'm so glad that GW makes all the interesting Shadowspear Warlord Traits useless for my army one by one. Saves me the headache to decide whether I want my Phobos Librarian to be my warlord or my Gravis Captain lmao

Hey at least you have a reference and army pic lol

Templars have a grand total o 2 artwork pics, one being in their half page fluff and the other on the rhino chassis vehicles. And zero army pics.

In fact, black legion has more army pics than BT in this codex.

My bad, any faction actually has.

I do hope that whatever supplement we feature in, is worth it.

Edited by Sete

10th Company is described as having 10 Vanguard squads and all of the Chapter's Scouts.

Honestly like this more than the old fluff, since scouts aren't quite marines yet, it felt weird they'd be numbered at exactly 10 squads of 10 each like any other company, and count towards the chapter total of 1000 marines.

Regardless, the minor structural change is irrelevant to me and my Templar brethren. I'm wondering what they intend to do with our neophytes....

Scouts never stopped being a thing.

The section on the different types of Primaris supports the previous statement from GW that chapters are still making standard marines.

There is also a bit about geneseed where it is said geneseed is a finite resource that can no longer be produced. I know it’s rare and very important, but I thought it could still be made, indeed I thought cawl had made new geneseed for the Primaris marines? I guess not.

It confirmed that veteran Primaris can join the 1st company. It’s mostly shown as Intercessors, although the from the ultramarines supplement it is stated their 1st company has veteran Intercessors and Inceptors.

10th Company is described as having 10 Vanguard squads and all of the Chapter's Scouts.

Honestly like this more than the old fluff, since scouts aren't quite marines yet, it felt weird they'd be numbered at exactly 10 squads of 10 each like any other company, and count towards the chapter total of 1000 marines.

That was never the case in previous fluff. It’s always been the case that the number of scouts in the 10th company is not fixed, and they don’t count towards the total chapter number.

10th Company is described as having 10 Vanguard squads and all of the Chapter's Scouts.

Regardless, the minor structural change is irrelevant to me and my Templar brethren. I'm wondering what they intend to do with our neophytes....

New scouts, and add neophytes to Intercessor Squads. Sorted.