Codex: Space Marines 2.0 speculation & discussion

Triszin

Scouts never stopped being a thing.

The section on the different types of Primaris supports the previous statement from GW that chapters are still making standard marines.

There is also a bit about geneseed where it is said geneseed is a finite resource that can no longer be produced. I know it’s rare and very important, but I thought it could still be made, indeed I thought cawl had made new geneseed for the Primaris marines? I guess not.

It confirmed that veteran Primaris can join the 1st company. It’s mostly shown as Intercessors, although the from the ultramarines supplement it is stated their 1st company has veteran Intercessors and Inceptors.

I interpreted that as being that they can't make any new geneseed from scratch. Each new piece must have been developed from an existing Progenoid gland, which may have been tinkered with, or regrown normally.

Scouts never stopped being a thing.

The section on the different types of Primaris supports the previous statement from GW that chapters are still making standard marines.

There is also a bit about geneseed where it is said geneseed is a finite resource that can no longer be produced. I know it’s rare and very important, but I thought it could still be made, indeed I thought cawl had made new geneseed for the Primaris marines? I guess not.

It confirmed that veteran Primaris can join the 1st company. It’s mostly shown as Intercessors, although the from the ultramarines supplement it is stated their 1st company has veteran Intercessors and Inceptors.

I interpreted that as being that they can't make any new geneseed from scratch. Each new piece must have been developed from an existing Progenoid gland, which may have been tinkered with, or regrown normally.

Cawl kind of gets to skirt that issue since he had access to the original geneseed templates and equipmemt needed to make more.

Geneseed is grown from a Primarchs genetic material. It’s at its most effective when exposed to the Primarchs genetic material after maturation. Hence when each Legion has a blood rite. Cawl had access a stock of geneseed that was exposed to Primarch’s genetic material. That stock is perishable because only one Primarch is around to make fully functional geneseed.

Geneseed is grown from a Primarchs genetic material. It’s at its most effective when exposed to the Primarchs genetic material after maturation. Hence when each Legion has a blood rite. Cawl had access a stock of geneseed that was exposed to Primarch’s genetic material. That stock is perishable because only one Primarch is around to make fully functional geneseed.

I believe most gene tithes are kept in stasis for this reason as well.

Any chance they actually ever have Veteran Gravis units?

I’m not sure it would do Inceptors and good but .... Veteran Aggressors?

A first company of some kind for Primaris would be really really nice.

"Big Guns Never Tire" Strategem has some good wording.. it says an Astartes Vehicle UNIT. This will make it great for big Speeder Squadrons, especially with a 20" move from Grab Upwash

Don't speeders act as seperate units after deployment?

"Big Guns Never Tire" Strategem has some good wording.. it says an Astartes Vehicle UNIT. This will make it great for big Speeder Squadrons, especially with a 20" move from Grab Upwash

Yep, totally stole the old IH strat, and exchanged the assault weapon part for expanding it to the full unit.

Which makes it quite a bit better. For one model, it's rarely good enough to spend CP on, the bigger ones have PotMS anyway.

Nope. In point of fact, they have a bonus ability for being in a unit of 3: Anti-grav Upwash - increase their movement to 20" instead of 16" whilst there are three models in the unit.

Nope. In point of fact, they have a bonus ability for being in a unit of 3: Anti-grav Upwash - increase their movement to 20" instead of 16" whilst there are three models in the unit.

Huh. Teach me not to look at that unit I guess. I think my brain just assumed all vehicle units broke apart on deployment because most of them do.

Huh. Teach me not to look at that unit I guess. I think my brain just assumed all vehicle units broke apart on deployment because most of them do.

Yeah, a lot do, and it's not a huge buff, but it can make a difference. I'm personally considering a unit of three Heavy Bolter/Typhoon Speeders (about 261pts!) as a good, mobile fire support unit for my Griffons - Tactical Discipline is really good for them, and their 20" move plus FLY will really help them stay out of the clutches of dangerous guns/claws.

Kind of curious why nobody seemingly talked about the Ancient in Terminator armor yet.

Was anybody else completely blindsided by the inclusion of this new entry? It seems kind of weird having a completely new entry of a unit that would need to be converted, considering GWs trend of removing units that have no official Models (rip to my Company Vets on Bikes).

A possible hint that we might be getting updated Space Marine terminator kits? Would seem odd, since I honestly don't expect anything new that isn't Primaris.

Doubly weird considering that the Terminator Ancient, despite having proper Terminator stats, has a Movement of 6" (and does not have the Tartaros Keyword, which would explain it possibly).

Edited by Pyrion

You are getting a model for it, one of the space marine heroes terminators is a standard bearer. And a very cool model!

Oh, good catch, I did not have the Space Marine Heroes models on the radar.

And while they are painted and presented as Blood Angels, the models themselves seem to have no actually sculpted BA iconography on them.

Very nice indeed!

Do I see this correct:

If I choose do use a Supp (UM/WS) and include a Librarian I can only use the discipline from the Supp?

Each detachment can use either:

1. Codex: Space Marines powers (Librarius/Obscuration), or
  2. Supplement powers (Stormspeaking/Indomitus)

You get the choice per detachment, as far as I am aware.

Thx!

So I have do use at least one none WS Detachment do use SM Power.

They can be White Scars still. You choose for each detachment: core powers, or supplement powers. If you have two Librarians, for example, and want to use both the Librarius and the Stormspeaking Disciplines, then you need to put them in two different detachments (which can both be White Scars), but you choose Librarius/Obscuration for one and Stormspeaking for the other.

after initial hype and excitement i have gone through the codex a few times over. infantry units are the clear winners, i still think the tanks are a tad bit too expensive. only losing doctrines would stop me from building a mechanicum dunecrawler park for armour duties.

after initial hype and excitement i have gone through the codex a few times over. infantry units are the clear winners, i still think the tanks are a tad bit too expensive. only losing doctrines would stop me from building a mechanicum dunecrawler park for armour duties.

I think we're likely to see some kind of vehicle boost once we get a glimpse at the super doctrine for Iron Hands and Imperial Fists.