Codex: Space Marines 2.0 speculation & discussion

Triszin

It’d be great if Fists can buff their heavy weapons. One thing I love about Ultramarines is they can trash Knights which is a big deal for competitive play.

I mean, technically anything can fit here as long as it follows the whole siege theme. 

But still, I wager it'll be related to Devastator Doctrine. But boy do I want to know lol

For me it'll be

Heavy doctrine = IH & IF

Tactical doctrine = SL & CF

Assault doctrine = RG & BT

IH will get a way to ignore the movement penalty for heavy weapons, a group overwatch strat, a machine heal thy self strat and a technomancy discipline.

IIRC Reece (from frontline gaming, who's a known playtester if someone doesn't know who he is) said that the thought Imperial Fists and Iron Hands would probably be the most popular "because they hit like a truck". So fluffwise and rumourwise (I guess) those two getting buffs to the devastator doctrine makes sense.

Who knows if those buffs are more centered around the passive buff to the doctrine or WTs/Stratagems/Relics etc however..

I imagine Iron Hands getting an upgrade to their FNP or some other mechanic to make them durable.

Reece did indeed say that IH and IF will be the most popular (in his opinion) once people have seen their supplements.

to be honest... Reece said that Chaos Knights would be very good....

Now, we see that... NO.

Chaos Knights are good, but they don't have allies quite as good as Guardsmen.

I actually feel we've reached the tipping point of Knight popularity in general.

Reece said that Chaos Knights would rock the tournament Scene... hmmm.

One of the majors last week was won by a chaos knight / CSM list. If you were expecting total domination from that comment then you were reading too much into it. He would have used stronger words if they were going to start cleaning up.

Ideally none of the new books will be "cleaning up"

I think GW have learned a lot about rule stacking that causes problems. You see it in the new Astartes codex.

The book has lots of ways to modify hit/wound rolls, but bonus effects like extra hits or mortal wounds only occur on "unmodified" rolls of 6.

I imagine the new books will simply serve to make more units viable, as opposed to having a few broken/overpowering combinations - like Alaitoc Flyers.

Edited by Ishagu

Reece said that Chaos Knights would rock the tournament Scene... hmmm.

One of the majors last week was won by a chaos knight / CSM list. If you were expecting total domination from that comment then you were reading too much into it. He would have used stronger words if they were going to start cleaning up.

"Rock the tournament scene" are pretty strong words. It implies not just winning, but meta shifting.

Reece has traditionally been the most positive and passionate of the community's celebrities, but that almost always comes with a bit of hyperbole. His comments can give us a hint of what's to come, but I really don't think it's wise to take his words at face value.

However, when he says both those Chapters will hit hard and be very strong, it fits everything else we've heard. Boosts to the Devastator Doctrine will always be more valuable than boosts to any other by virtue of it being active from the very beginning of the match.

Guest Iron Father Bahadur

It seems silly to hold off on releasing at least the rest of the models but here we are.

Seeya in October Phobos marines.