Codex: Space Marines 2.0 speculation & discussion

Triszin

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/08/30/breaking-previews-and-reveals-from-novagw-homepage-post-1/

Here's last years NOVA just for arguments sake. They showed off;
The speed freeks box, 

The deffkilla wartrike (and some general orktober stuff),

Announced the actual release of sir Hekhtur,

Some SoB stuff including announcing the beta codex

& Blackstone Fortress

This is excluding the reveals that were not tied to 40k in any way or form, but AoS did also have a few reveals. So hopefully it's not unwise to dare to hope a little here

Guest Iron Father Bahadur

Heh - both those web comics really took off didn’t they?

Nice to keep in mind. Will be excited to see what comes up at NOVA either way.

One day I’ll get my Iron Father :[

Got to say, the release pattern this time feels shockingly bad lol. I'm holding off ordering an invictus till the other stuff is out and it does seem bonkers to show it all off, show off rules etc then leave the models we know are ready unreleased.

Ah well. Saves money for the moment so there is that.

Guest Iron Father Bahadur
Yeah, it’s a little confusing to me. They’ll definitely lose impulse buys from this as well as lose momentum. Wonder if it’s more production related than an actually strategy.

Got to say, the release pattern this time feels shockingly bad lol. I'm holding off ordering an invictus till the other stuff is out and it does seem bonkers to show it all off, show off rules etc then leave the models we know are ready unreleased.

Ah well. Saves money for the moment so there is that.

Yep, no impulse buying from people who have to wait for several months for their full codex. Back to AdMech for me...

Reminds me off the Canis Rex debacle. Showed up many months after the knight craze and their new codex

The Iron Father is now at 3 1/2 months (since shown) and counting, and with the "2 supplements each 2 months" rumor it might still take a few months. Because GW seems to be reluctant to break with the tradition of IH not having a single named character. And their hype building game reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever. :biggrin.:

That and I'm sure GW is aware of how expensive this release is going to be for marine players 40 for the codex 30 for supplement, and maybe another 30 in objective decks. That's a 100 US dollars before someone has bought a single model, it makes sense to spread that out. Edited by Black_Star

I dont think we'll be waiting more than whats left of this year for the supplements, so patience! We have a good codex even without any supplement so enjoy that, I certainly have enjoyed all the buffs that have hit Terminators.

For me it isn't a matter of enjoyment. I need to know now what units will be most impacted by my super doctrine, warlord traits, relics, psychic discipline, and stratagems so I don't buy and build something that ends up being subpar or even counter productive to my army's fighting style. It's definitely a personal preference as my purchases don't have to be so focused on what is good for a specific thing, but I can't really help it if I enjoy tailoring my collection so I have a list built to just how I like it. I don't intend to magnetize baseline Infantry troopers, or know if any of the new items will synergize well at all, so in many cases I'm frozen until I see what the rules are. I can certainly tell you I won't be buying Terminators - those models are gross to me lol

It's kind of easy for the smurf poster boys to be chill with the whole thing - they aren't waiting 4 to 6 months for the information needed to build their armies to their new ruleset. 

This release is shaping up to be one of the clunkiest and drawn out yet. The death guard at least had 95% of their new units out by one month

I wouldn't say clunky - it is what it is. I'd say it's probably unnecessarily drawn out, but I wonder if GW feels they can't simply commit everything all at once for fear of limited shelf space, thus limiting available selection of options and therefore ultimately creating a more chaotic consumer experience. What I feel or think ultimately doesn't matter - there's a reason this decision was made and I'm sure folks with far more knowledge than I of the relevant factors were involved in the decision. 

Poor Chaos folks still don't have a non-Shadowspear source of Oblits at this time, so I guess it could be worse lol

While I don't mind waiting I'd obviously prefer not to. 

As long as everything is out before Xmas it's not going to be so bad.

I think the next supplement will set the bar for what to expect from the final two also.

I think that's probably true - though I think the first two supplements also set the bar for what to expect from the final two also. 

By that I mean we know some things that will cross over, which allows us to speculate on good builds, but lack the real big pieces of information - the psychic discipline and super doctrine. Those two things really define the type of units and wargear options that the army really excels with. That type of information is also unavailable until we hear more about these books, and until then I can't help but feel my enthusiasm for this release die away each week while I wait to see which of the new toys makes sense for what my army does best. 

Edited by Lemondish

Well we don't yet know if every book will get a new model HQ.

The rumour is that RG and IH are next. If there's a new Shrike or a Primaris RG hero then at least we can expect the same for Fists and Salamanders.

Edited by Ishagu

I'm hoping for a solid bonus to vehicles lists from the IH. Staying in devastator doctrine for a long while does raise the question of what you do with your troop though.

Well. Scout sniper rifles are Heavy 1. Tacs with plasma don't generally need an AP boost.

You're comparing a single faction to the flagship, and a remake of a line that represents have of the legions?

I'm talking purely about new units that are being released.

Death guard had 11 new kits, 13 if we count the icon and unit champ.

The new marine codex has what, 8? Impulsor, Warsuit, eliminators, infiltrators/incursors, phobos captain, phobos librarian and I'm assuming the 2 lieutenants. If we're counting the supplement characters were assuming each is getting, then it's 14.

Pretty much the same amount, but the death guard is looking to get wrapped up far in advance of the space marine one.

Hard to be excited for the new book with these new options when we have no idea when they're going up for sale.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Well we don't yet know if every book will get a new model HQ.

The rumour is that RG and IH are next. If there's a new Shrike or a Primaris RG hero then at least we can expect the same for Fists and Salamanders.

Going off the sales guide that we saw alongside Supp: UM and Supp: WS, I have my doubt that we'll see two black-liveried Chapters getting Supplements with the same release date.

Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous.

Going off the sales guide that we saw alongside Supp: UM and Supp: WS, I have my doubt that we'll see two black-liveried Chapters getting Supplements with the same release date.

Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous.

That's actually a fair point, I think GW thinks about these things more than most people imagine, not that it necessarily is their number 1 concern. Black and yellow is a great color combo however..