Codex: Space Marines 2.0 speculation & discussion

Triszin

Okay so I ended up trying to do my own math, which was both a hilarious strain on the old noggin' and absolutely no guarantee that I managed to do it correctly. So take this with a grain of salt people.

The parameters were; Eliminators with las fusils and Master Artisan rerolls (no captain or lieutenant). In which scenarios would it be more efficient to have all three firing rather than the sergeant buffing the rest of the squad? The number below indicate number of wounding hits, not damage. So multiply that by three assuming there would be no armour save.

Sgt. buffing 3 shooters

T7 1.64 1.67

T7 -1 to hit 1.42 1.33

T7 -2 to hit 1.15 0.93

T8 1.42 1.33

T8 -1 to hit 1.23 1.06

T8 -2 to hit 1 0.76

T9 1.15 0.93

T9 -1 to hit 1 0.76

T9 -2 to hit 0.81 0.53

This isn’t the first but of math hammer that I’ve seen suggesting that 2 x las Fusils with a buffing sergeant is the way to go. There’s also the fact that if you’re going to use the sergeant to buff you can give him a cheaper weapon option and save 12 points per unit, making the points per wound better as well on a per unit basis.

2 Las fusils with a buffing Sergeant is the way to go IF THERE ARE NO OTHER BUFFS on the unit. As soon as you have a Captain or Lieutenant nearby it's better to just shoot with 3 Las fusils.
Also as soon as the unit suffers the first casualty you want the Sergeant to be shooting with a proper weapon as well because buffing just one Las fusil or Sniper rifle is not worth it, so imo giving him the Carbine is a trap.

2 Las fusils with a buffing Sergeant is the way to go IF THERE ARE NO OTHER BUFFS on the unit. As soon as you have a Captain or Lieutenant nearby it's better to just shoot with 3 Las fusils.

Also as soon as the unit suffers the first casualty you want the Sergeant to be shooting with a proper weapon as well because buffing just one Las fusil or Sniper rifle is not worth it, so imo giving him the Carbine is a trap.

In that case wouldn't you just lose the Sergeant on the first causality instead?

In that case wouldn't you just lose the Sergeant on the first causality instead?

when playing competitively, absolutely.

But from a narrative perspective the heroic sergeant of the unit would be the last to die, inspiring his unit to press onwards and defy the enemy until their last breath.

What do you guys think... I want to add a predator to my space marines army, but the thing is, it would suck if a "new" pred comes out.

Should i wait? Or Is unlikely to happen?

Thnx

It will be some time if a Predator equivalent does come out, it at all. There's the Executioner already which might have a transport capacity but is kinda like a tank for the most part anyway.

If you want a Predator right now I'd go for it. The Predator Autocannon is delicious right now, since the Devastator Doctrine assists it greatly.

Honestly I'm a bit worried about BT and CF.

While IF is getting a Supplement for sure and a new char in the same manner as the other first founding, I do not think BT and CF will be part of it.

There are a :cussload of rumours around and zero assurances of what's going to happen, and honestly its starting to get on my nerves.

Honestly I'm a bit worried about BT and CF.

While IF is getting a Supplement for sure and a new char in the same manner as the other first founding, I do not think BT and CF will be part of it.

There are a :cussload of rumours around and zero assurances of what's going to happen, and honestly its starting to get on my nerves.

If you weren't going to be part of the fist book, the units would have been in the main space marine codex and not part of the "place holder index esque" thing GW released

Agreed. It’s very frustrating that they didn’t release all the mini-dexes at once, or even clarify which ones we’ll get.

The result is that I’ve not bought any of the new releases for marines. I don’t know what will be good for my army and there’s nothing that looks like a “must have” in the meantime. I’m kicking myself a bit for buying three repulsor executioners on release though.

And I don’t even know if the rules from Vigilus or the white dwarf are still legal. It seems reasonable to assume they aren’t but it’s weird they never said. Why bring out rules for Blood Ravens that are only valid for a month? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

And I don’t even know if the rules from Vigilus or the white dwarf are still legal. It seems reasonable to assume they aren’t but it’s weird they never said. Why bring out rules for Blood Ravens that are only valid for a month? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think it's reasonable to assume that if you go for the white dwarf blood ravens, you don't get any successor strats but if you pick the successor from the codex you don't get anything from the white dwarf section. Obviously in both cases you can use the base codex strats. Vigilus is still legal, not sure why you'd need any of them now the strats are in the book.

The wait is mildly frustrating, I'd been considering a Mentors/Crimson Fists/Iron Hands Primaris force on a small scale for a local campaign but can't really do that until I've seen the IF/IH supplements. At this rate I might just wait for Sisters. Having just read the new SM Codex though, jealousy aside, looks really fun to play. Hope you're all having some success with it.

Edited by Marshal Loss

The wait is mildly frustrating, I'd been considering a Mentors/Crimson Fists/Iron Hands Primaris force on a small scale for a local campaign but can't really do that until I've seen the IF/IH supplements. At this rate I might just wait for Sisters. Having just read the new SM Codex though, jealousy aside, looks really fun to play. Hope you're all having some success with it.

I regards to IH all you need to know before the supplement is buy all the tanks and at least 1 leviathan

Still no release next week.

Maybe the 2 month release window rumour is correct.

But still, boring.

According to Kanluwen over on Dakkadakka, Beastgrave is due to be released on the 21st which would mean that next Sunday we'll have those guys on the preview. Assuming that's true, then SM feel unlikely that week as well

Extraordinarily drawn out. They still have the impulsor, infiltrators/incursors, eliminators and reiver lt? I'd assume incursors+lt, and impulsor and eliminators for 2 more dedicated weeks of "core" codex releases, not to mention all the supplement stuff.

Everyone keeps forgetting that Suppressors don't have a multi-part or stand alone kit right now either. Dollars to doughnuts their alternate build is the mysterious "Hellfury" mentioned in the UM splat.

Agreed, rather bummed that we have to go another week without any more info. I don't mind waiting, but I'd really like to know how long I'm waiting for.

Maybe the SM/UM/WS FAQs will drop this week?

Edited by Bluflash

I doubt there's an alternate suppressor kit this release cycle, since theyve shown off everything new in the codex. I do think that an inevitable suppressor kit will have either an alternate build or gun. But that seems a long ways off.

On that note, I really don't like units only getting represented in box releases. You literally can't buy obliterators any more; suppressors are similarly unavailable for anyone who missed shadowspear.

Also good question on the faq, it's been more than 2 weeks no?

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

It is really odd what they've been doing this year with both chaos and regular space marine models.

What's most annoying is showing the iron Father ages ago, then all but outright saying all the first founding chapters are getting books, and then showing off all these other new kits, and then. . . .

Nothing.

Where is all this stuff? Did Aeronautica Imperialis really justify a release window all by itself? And next week is just warcry expansions? So strange.

Almost makes me think that they thought all the new space marine stuff was going to get leaked so they had to show it earlier than intended?

It's insane. I was well up for primaris wave two and I've not bought anything. Ironically I have bought aeronautica and I will buy gotrek next week but the whole release has completely fizzled for me. Lacklustre models and a bizarre, drawn out release schedule without even an explanation or plan. Check out the new primaris transport, shame you can't buy it and double shame it only carries six dudes.