The Kriegening Begins! - A tale of getting your dream army

Back again for today's "final touches done, and ready to play" update.  My favorite Krieg kit of all time, and quite possibly the best combo pairing in 40k history, combat engineers and their "SURPRISE!!!" drill.

Made them so they could be either:

• One large 10 man with meltas accompanying the drill for backlines shenanigans
  • Two 6 man squads for concurrent use, one with two meltas to still accompany the drill into backlines, and a 7 man with the mole launcher for main line defense.

Engis & Drill

• On top of being an amazing kit, I felt like my krieg force needed some backfield shenanigans to keep the enemy worried and or holding something back to guard said backfield, in games.  The drill and some melta lads feels like "Just what the doctor ordered" in that regard while still being Kriegy as hell. (The shotties are nothing to scoff at either with that carcass shot)
  • My favorite quote about the unit (drill in particular): "Makes for a delightful Distraction Carnifex; cackle with glee as your opponent craps himself trying to kill this thing before it crawls up his Gargant's ass and cores it like an apple!"

Combat Engis & Hades Drill Front:

Combat Engineers & Hades Drill - Front

Combat Engis & Hades Drill Back:

Combat Engineers & Hades Drill - Back

(I'll retroactively add these pics to the OG/starting post soon, as promised)
Edited by Dark Legionnare

Excellent work on the Commissars and the Marshal.

Some of the real classics models - you've done them justice! Life can be busy sometimes that's how it goes, but a little break from the hobby helps keep it fresh :wink:

Looking really good!

The Marshal and Commissars are some of the best sculpts in the range.

I know you said you struggle with the details but I think you've done well.

Also the pace you're getting through them is commendable!

Keep it up!

First off, thanks for all the kind words you three, and the other lads looking at this humble thread! As for you Jud, thanks a bunch. I'm probably not doing myself any favors using stupid-high-res cameras so close to such tiny models, hehe.

As for progress, having everything in an assembly line format, and borrowing a friend's airbrush, makes for quick work with big armies.  Being able to line up 20 dudes at a time, tape them off, bang out coats, then helmets, then boots, then wrists, etc, etc... is the real key to quick work in this case!  When your guys are wearing big greatcoats (and that's the majority of the model) one and all, touching up/finishing off is quick and easy.

Having a friend with an extensive, and really expensive because of its quality/results, suite of airbrush tools is a massive army asset, for sure.  So all the credit for cranking these out to their final stages belongs with my comrade in Vermont letting me use his stuff!

Wow! Someone has been really hammering things out, I've had an airbrush in a wishlist for some time and this might just be the tipping point for getting it. If I could paint at that rate my ETL vow would have been done ages ago. :thumbsup:

Wow! Someone has been really hammering things out, I've had an airbrush in a wishlist for some time and this might just be the tipping point for getting it. If I could paint at that rate my ETL vow would have been done ages ago. :thumbsup:

It's a ludicrous asset, to be sure!  That said, there's definitely a bit of time skewing from my posts here, since the vast majority of all the work on all the models (assembly, primer, main layers, etc...) was a process done going back from June through July both. 

I'm just putting these final pics up in sequence after calling them "Done" with just some minor finishing/final touches in regards to bases, spots that need a bit more definition via some light drybrushing, etc...  I wish I was efficient enough to crank out 20+ dudes from scratch to finish, every two days, haha. 

Just efficient enough to put assembly-line finishing touches on 20+ dudes every two days or so. :tongue.:

Even so, I've been slogging away with rattle cans and brush and the amount of nooks and crannies that don't get primed (for fear of over priming) and I can't get a brush into makes me unhappy about the current process and I never was a fan of painting sub assemblies. Which that airbrush sounds like the right tool to fix all of those gripes.

You might want to check out amazon for desk lamps with magnifying lenses to help see all the smaller details, but I think what you have looks great and they are guards men after all ;)

However you’re doing it, it’s working!

I can only plod along (usually a model a day)

I can’t batch paint because my attention span is so short!

My attention span is why I have those box sets, and entire Grey knights force yet to even begin painting!  So we're birds of a feather.

They may be the next project, if I don't take a break for a while to play a bunch once the Krieg lads are all done.

As for now, the allure of being able to get a table covered in pretty krieg models getting shot off the board has been good mental drive to chug through all these final touches!

Thanks again!!! :happy.:

Final update for infantry lads. All that's left now is the Leman Russes and heavy weapon teams to finish off the final touches on.

No more lads on foot left, unless you count lads with weapon tripods too. 

(I count myself lucky considering the absolute horror stories I've heard about the twin-stubber teams and those barrels.)

Infantry Squads

• Watchmaster is always the center-most guy aggressively wielding a grenade. Thought about using combat engi models but then decided not to as they're expensive enough already to buy one squad for use as its actual unit.
  • Plasma glow via airbrush effect's mileage will vary in all the plasma-having units.  Quality improved over time/attempts!

Infantry Squad 5's Front:

Dark Legion - Infantry Squad 5 - Front

Infantry Squad 5's Back:

Dark Legion - Infantry Squad 5 - Back

Infantry Squad 6's Front:

Dark Legion - Infantry Squad 6 - Front

Infantry Squad 6's Back:

Dark Legion - Infantry Squad 6 - Back

It was dark out before I could take any pictures of the finished Leman Russes and Lascannon teams, so I'll get to that tomorrow or Sunday.

That said, now that they're all done save the hellhound kits (waiting on dozer blades from bits seller), the Kriegers' first game is tomorrow. A 2v1 of 2000pts of kriegers vs 1000pts space wolves & likely 1000pts of chaos or eldar from player number three.

I'll try to take some pics of the lads all spread out and ready to wage war(die/get blown off the board in droves) in the Emperor's name!

I'm back again!  The inaugural battle with the krieg lads is done. 

2vs1: 2000Pts of Krieg vs 1000 Eldar + 1000 Space Wolves

Battle 1 Mission: "No Mercy"

• Eldar player rolled the dice, got a VERY fitting mission for The Dark Legion kriegers, "No Mercy"
  • No objectives, just absolute war of attrition.
  • Couldn't have asked for a better mission!  Very fitting for their first game!

Battle 1 Deployment: "Search and Destroy

• Opposite corners, allowing plenty of space for "speedbump" guard squads to let the big guns do their work at range.
  • Not pictured is the "SURPRISE!" drill with accompanying melta squad.

Krieg Deployment:

All Armies Deployment:

Fun Krieg Model-eye-view Perspective:

Battle 1 Final Results: Krieg Victory by 1VP

• Game went 6 turns, resulted in absolute slogging match of attrition with a Krieg Victory of 1CP over the opponents.
  • Drill and friends popped up in the woods section seen in pictures to melta-snipe a dread and buy me a turn of further arty, heavy weapon, and tank fire by tying up all the Space wolf infantry and 1 other dread for a turn after they arrived.  Totally worth their points, only two of them self-destructed from carcass shot, the storm of shotty fire killing off a SW squad.
  • Eldar & Wolves got: First Blood and Slay The Warlord
  • Eldar & Wolves Survivors: One SW techmarine, 2 dire avengers, falcon, and Farseer.
  • Krieg got: Slay The warlord
  • Krieg Casualties: Everything died from my army except what's pictured and one out of frame medusa carriage+crew

Turn 6 Results:

Was a great game, had an absolute blast. The Kriegers sold their lives dearly, in true Krieg "attrition warfare" style.
Was a fortuitous roll of missions and deployment by the Eldar player! 

Leman Russes did a lot of carrying.  The Emperor's fist relic battle cannon was an absolute beast, twice. One turn nuked a venerable dread, next turn sniped Bjorn the Fell-Handed in one volley. Rolled 12 shots, 10 hit, 8 wounded!!! He ended up taking a whopping 18 damage from just the relic battle cannon. Las-cannons missed (as they always do, but damnit, I'll always take 'em.)

Arty was very fun, those two carriages run as earthshaker batteries are basically coming with me in every game from now on, so fun, and pretty effective!

So all the tanks and weapon teams are done being finished up now.  Had another big game over the weekend, 1750 krieg + Buddy's 1750 Tallarn vs 3500 Chaos.  The Hammer of the Emperor prevailed! Will get pics of said tanks and teams up tonight hopefully!

While playing Saturday said Tallarn player showed me his obscene Baneblade kit work that allows him to field ANY of the baneblade variants he chooses with some moving around of magnetized parts he set up. With the way he did magnetization allowing any of the variants the kit allows (sadly the stormblade isn't in the plastic kit :c ) with just a few seconds of swapping parts I was so blown away I offered him some dosh to do up a baneblade in Krieg scheme with said options.

Because there's no way I way I could touch a model that size, accomplish his amazing magnetizing/play any variant you want setup, and get all of the above right, as well as his obscene levels of painting talent, it was a no brainer.

ALSO, YES, EVERYONE WAS RIGHT. Get your 'I told you so's" in. :rolleyes:   

A Krieg baneblade/banesword/banehammer/doomhammer/stormsword/stormlord/shadowsword/hellhammer is in the works.

Final update for the army as is. (At least until the baneblade arrives)

Leman Russ Tanks

• All three have the same loadout of hull Lascannon, sponson Heavy Bolters, and Turret Battle Cannon + Heavy stubber pintle
  • Using the vanquisher barrels because the Krieg Battle Cannons are So Stubby/Silly looking!

Heavy Weapon Squads

• All six with Lascannons
  • The infamous warped-as-crap Krieg Heavy Weapon Teams!  Salvaging was done with some c-clamps and a hair dryer, as well as some pose work to imply rapidly turning to react to something on two kits to compensate for/due to horrible wheel-carriage mount-area warping.

Hellhounds

• All with the melta cannon. It's the turret option that most looks like it could be any of the options! AKA, fits well with my anti-magnet agenda!:whistling:

Leman Russ Tanks

Leman Russ Tanks

Heavy Weapon Squads

Heavy Weapon Squads 1 & 2

HellHounds:

HellHounds: Front, Side, Rear

HellHound: Top

That's it! The kriegers are all done!

(Minus a last-minute Bandeblade addition for a later date. *cough* *cough* I was warned *cough* *cough*)

Right at my usual "Don't let an army get bigger than 2500pts(ish) cutoff I always put on myself.

Been a hell of a ride!  They've already got two games under their belt with savage amounts of firepower, and death (on their side especially).  Here's to many, many more!:wink.:

• 4 weeks later...

The Krieg "Octoblade" (all eight variants possible with some swapping of magnetized parts from the Baneblade kit) progress chugs along.  The hobby store buddy I enlisted for the project is a very talented painted and all around great guy, it's coming out so lovely.

Currently, the Baneblade Variant is now done.  Only 7 more to go!

Will be adding some decals once all variants are assembled and made to flesh out all that juicy, open "canvas" armor plating.

Baneblade Variant WIP #1

Baneblade WIP 1

Baneblade Variant WIP #2

Baneblade WIP 2

Looks great! :thumbsup:

Finishing a baneblade is such a satisfying project

I wish theyd drop the points on the Hellhammer just a touch

Oh man.  I am stupid excited to use it in a game!  I know it'll attract every bit of AT on the board and I'll likely still be relying on the triple Leman Russ tank commanders for the majority of heavy lifting once it gets ripped to pieces, but I am excited!

I loved the idea of the Hellhammer too!  "Super Leman Russ Demolisher"  but yeah, at that point cost, getting to within those 36" usually means some ludicrous amounts of melta-like love is coming your way, and fast.  Points down the drain :c

I feel like a battle-bus Stormlord (or the one with 20 transport capacity, I forgot the name...) with my 6 krieg bullgryns inside will be the most common I bring, Especially for its cost, and the fact that it's less of a "KILL THIS NOW" target than the hellhammer, shadowsword (aka, delete a vehicle of any kind, per turn, including knights), etc...

Your Baneblades are well-painted.

Looks good, lot of nice colours there not long until you're finished on all variants looks like :thumbsup:

Hobby shop friend is doing an absolute bangup job. Frighteningly good,  though we did agree to stay away from any heat effects outside of that baneblade barrel, and the hellhammer barrel, because all the interchanging parts for the other 6 variants are too risky to do such things. Just leaving those lads normal paint jobs!  Excited to figure out some good spots for the white and or red decals from the sheet once all portions are assembled~