Anyone tried the new AdMech tanks yet?

Ishagu

So am I the only one actually getting in games with the vehicles? It would be nice to see more feedback....

Anyway a few more games in... I really felt the need to supplement the tanks for the lack of S9 and above. I know the 'math' is supportive of the tanks compared to the Neutron laser Dunecrawler but I'll tell you something; shooting at T8-T9 with these new tanks isn't a lot of fun.  I'm really thinking of going back to my Ironstrider units loaded with mixed loadouts. They seem just as survivable but more flexible. (It's easier to string out a bunch and cover wider area while remaining in 'buff' zones too.)  Just throwing out some food for thought. I like the looks, and the guns are okay, but right now I feel like there's more volume than quality to them.... 

Next game I played seemed to back my feeling of having lots of volume but mediocre quality: against Dark Eldar I was severely out gunned by superior firepower. I faced multiple ravagers which just nuked my tanks. Mean while he'd make his -1 to hit (ravagers) and had an invlun. I had a slight range advantage but the speed of his boats and ability to cover them with numerous venoms took the bite out of my army.

His venoms threw copious amounts of poison shots... as I'm sure most of you know this is the secret sauce of the cheap, open topped (We -should- have been open topped)  spam list. To my surprise he had 'blasters' mixed in every squad it seemed either on a vehicle or in a squad so he was able to hit me a lot harder than I could hit him. I lost half my tanks in T1.  And my transport was ignored, as were the Dragoons.

I manged to win this ITC match by 2 points in the last two turns. It was a complete miracle though. I think he had me and is ignoring of my transport was what did him in. I got my priests out and zapped a pile of half wounded junk (he exploded 3 times on his own stuff!) and I was able to mop up just enough, and kill his buff characters to pull it off.

I did feel out gunned for sure. But as noted in my other thread I'm pretty bored of the Destroyer build so I'm trying something else with troops, but they aren't really working either. 

The tanks are fun and they give my army a different feel and look. The transport (I've come to learn) is basically a glorified Chimera. It's okay. Not as good as venoms, but I guess that is the standard in competitive play for cheap transports. 

It will be interesting to see that if enough people ignore the transport to their detriment that the target priority changes so that the transport with a ton of priests becomes a distraction carnifex?

I would love to try out the new vehicles but they are so far down my list of purchases that it will be nearer Christmas before I get any of them. I have just gotten the Knight detachment and have seriously enjoyed building the Castellan. Then there's Titanicus and a purchase of Mansions of Madness on the table.

Edited by Black_Knight

It is my full intention to get two of them, I'm just struggling with the hobby at the moment as my budget has been drained by a wedding and a recent car purchase!

• 3 weeks later...

The gun-tank version seems to have made a splash locally due to GW's "salesmanship" in underpricing it, points-wise.  Transport hasn't changed anything for AdMech from a meta-standpiont, though.  It's a shame that seemingly years of begging for a transport equated to a resounding "meh" among the AdMech faithful :dry.:

Even if it isn't the greatest unit, it still completes the range nicely.

These two tanks feel like they add a lot to the AdMech in terms of variety.

Edited by Ishagu

The gun-tank version seems to have made a splash locally due to GW's "salesmanship" in underpricing it, points-wise.  Transport hasn't changed anything for AdMech from a meta-standpiont, though.  It's a shame that seemingly years of begging for a transport equated to a resounding "meh" among the AdMech faithful :dry.:

To be honest, my first wave of tanks will all be built as transports.

The gunboat looks great and will work great, but especially when factoring in the Armigers and Moiraxes (I'm at 7 now, more are probable) on top of 3 onagers, another T7 3+ gun carrier won't be giving me much more variety to play with. OTOH, the transports riding that wave of Armigers to get some skitarii and priests downrange sound promising, and are much cheaper to field en masse than termites.

Termite and transports are next on my schedule, we'll see how that turns out...

Ive run the transport to great effect in not ITC games, it's been an all star as everything from an objective grabber to mortal wound sponge to actually deploying electro priests like it's done form Uber . For ITC play the non Los fire varient of the tank is to good to ignore , while I sick at rolling shots it's a lot of "dakka" for the points , I've built my 2 as swappable and they are for different styles of force I'll be taking transports to the Warhammer world heats but tanks to the london GT.

The non-LoS shooting is something I don't consider for the time being. I've got two lightning lock Moiraxes, those are fast, have good range and average a dozen hits at S6 AP-2 per model.

With their mobility, LoS should be less of an issue, but I'll see when I get back to actually playing. Currently, I'm just building/painting stuff as other events keep me from playing anyway.

The non-LoS shooting is something I don't consider for the time being. I've got two lightning lock Moiraxes, those are fast, have good range and average a dozen hits at S6 AP-2 per model.

With their mobility, LoS should be less of an issue, but I'll see when I get back to actually playing. Currently, I'm just building/painting stuff as other events keep me from playing anyway.

Yeh totally, having fast moving units can mitigate some of the LOS issues for targetting your opponent. Having your own non-los units means you can hide them and your opponent needs non-los shooting to get to them or some fast moving units that can cross the table and engage

Moiraxes are on the to do buy list ... i wish i could just buy the weapon part as i have swappable  helver / armigers ,  however my bloody airbrush (last Iawata I ever buy)  gave out last night  so they will be moving significantly down , stupid tiny thread stripped on the nozzle tip .. i guess i over tightened it on last re-assembly  spoke to a pal who says he's gone through 3 of them in the life of his  and there 25 quid each for a part that's smaller than a grain of rice.

As for the ITC stuff I dont soup , by rule , i occasionally have a dalliance with a knight or two but as a rule  it keep my Ad mech Ad mech  ;-) 

Yeah, the weapons are not available separately (at least not at FW, if you know what I mean), and they have different arm components, so magnetizing requires a bit more work than usual. It's just a shame they just offer them as certain combos - if I were to go for double volkite or double grav, I'd need to buy more and swap.

Anyways, the model is definitely worth it. Goes together nicely, is a lot more detailed than the GW armigers, and fit the AdMech aesthetics a lot better. Which is why I'll go for the transport first, the Moirax do more or less the same thing as the belleros, and onagers do roughly the same as the ferrumite.

Yes, I've done the math, gunboats have more firepower. I'll definitely get the gunboats too, but first things first...

As for soup, I'm tempted to include the loyal 32 (or 42, 52,...). Not for CP generation, but to have an actual use for the 40+ tech thralls that have amassed in my bitz box. And to have more expendable bodies to clog up the board, just for fun...

I still take neutron onager over the tank due to the fact it CAN one shot tanks on a good roll.. Even though the maths support the energy cannon on average.

The transport I've run twice now (with stygies pregame move) and it does what it needs... Ie gets a unit of priests halfway up the table turn one who then need dealt with ASAP. It being -1 to hit against backline antitank and 2+ save with shrousalm makes its much better than a rhino for me (even with T6). 12 stubbers shots killed a few guardsmen screener everytime too.

I still don't think the tank is under costed. I really don't. In fact I think what's going on with marines is totally over shadowed this whole release now. These tanks are competing against an array of 'similar' units AdMech already have.

I have several of these tanks, and I proxy the variants and I have a lot of trouble looking at their output and thinking these are amazing and must have for Admech. 

I don't care what math says the Neutronager is still an extremely potent option that doesn't need replacing. To get more effective, more aggressive, a lot of AdMech players take the obvious (justifiably so) approach of including Knights.

To take the indirect variant (which I know some competitive players are doing) is great for certain match ups. I think the indirect was massively needed in this army. But anyone thinking this is undercosted? I mean shooting is really all this army does well. It should do it REALLY REALLY well. You'll never get psykered, there is so little fly it hurts, there's very little CC, very few deep strike options. This army needed these tanks and now that I see (and am playing) Ultra's/marines, it's really hard to give these a second thought.

Right now the main reason I am spending time on the tanks is to scratch the hobbiest itch. I believe I can get along just fine without these. There are other things in the Admech list I cannot say that about.. chicken walkers, Dakka bots, etc. 

Also as a side note I'm a little tired of GW dangling a carrot for some sales and then a negative change is most often made after the majority of sales are made.

Yeah...the tank is a slight improvement in average firepower over the onager, and its mobility might be of some use, but T7 3+ won't be a gamechanger.

It's one alternative amongst many (when including armigers), nothing to write home about.

The transport offers us something new, enough mobility to get skitarii up the field. At the same time, regular, basic marines become the perfect hard counter for said skitarii, by countering their slightly-above-average armour even better with their default weaponry. The transport has neither the firepower of other factions, nor other nasty tricks like the DE transports. It's a bit like tacticals in a rhino - everyone can deal with the transport, everyone can deal with the content. The only upside is that the content can pack more punch than said tacticals, but they will fall apart a round later.

It feels like AdMech just has a handful of old and worn tricks, and anyone knowing them won't have much issue unless the AdMech player is fielding an absolutely optimized list and knows 100% what he's doing. Drip-feeding some new releases gives us something to do every once in a while, and it improves matters a bit, but nothing comes close to a total game changer.

Still, I'll stock up in the coming months, and maybe people have forgotten about AdMech until then...

Also as a side note I'm a little tired of GW dangling a carrot for some sales and then a negative change is most often made after the majority of sales are made.

It has become a little blatant recently, almost every release has a U-turn in it.

I will wait till Christmas for mine, I think my first one will be a transport but I am looking forward to trying to magnetise it to all the variants.

I saw a post the other day that had some chickens magnetised to all the versions and I cried a little, wish I knew that was feasible.

Edited by Black_Knight

As it's slightly on topic and might be an idea for others here - what would you think of a closed design of the tank?

I mostly consider it because I prefer the design of the gunboat/tank to the higgins boat one, but should also be easier to transport or turn into the gunboat loadout.

This would be a more streamlined version, with the side stubbers not hindering transport of the transport (and also shooting at targets in front of the tank), and if stubbers are placed in a different turret, would allow the gunboat loadout too - just put a missile launcher and stubber on the turret, and it's good to go.

This test is just pushed/puttied together, it would still need some plasticard to fill the resulting gaps.

1mdjp6.jpeg

2nuj30.jpeg3zmkrj.jpeg

It could be worth a try. Making the model easier to store is a great start.It would require a fair amount of building around the weapon hardpoints but it would probably look great to have sponsons and an enclosed turret.

Can i suggest for the roof turret you use a heavy phospher blaster from the onager set ,  (  no-one uses these )it would look ideal plus those twin stubber bits are going to be a weak point.

https://www.letthedicedecide.co.uk/ekmps/shops/letthedice/images/skitarii-onager-dune-crawlers-heavy-phosphor-blaster-9064-p.jpg

I'll keep that in mind, though I guess it will require a larger turret.

Another idea for customization would be adding tracks. The Krios might have some of proper scale - casting just a straight part of those could make it a nice litte land crawler, and would better fit next to that Ordinatus/Macrocarid...