Space Marine Recruitment

Hey All,

So as I am very close to finishing my IA, I am still hitting my head against the wall for recruitment.

I did however read this recently: https://asktheadeptus.tumblr.com/post/160921003689/space-marine-recruitment

Which I find is a very good article and which I would like to start this discussion: how do your Space Marine chapters recruit? What ways have they found effective and more importantly why did you pick such a recruitment method?

-DR

Though I didn't cover the recruitment methods in my article, my DIY Nova Hawks have a radically different recruitment method from most Chapters. The reason for this is to mesh the age at which novitiates are recruited with a sustainable society, maximizing their recruitment while minimizing waste.

Periodically (every year or two - I haven't finalized this), a challenge is conducted in which husband/wife pairs must undergo a grueling series of combat and survival. Those pairs that survive are elevated to leadership positions within the society, and their children [of appropriate age] are tested for suitability. Those that pass the test are inducted into the Chapter, while those that don't pass are left alone (so that they can remain productive members of their society). The Chapter will never take the last male child, aiming to ensure that genetic lines survive to continue producing as many potential recruits as possible.

This method was adopted subsequent to the Chapter's successful completion (and marginal survival) of a penitent crusade and adoption of their new homeworld (details on that are in the linked article).

The overall process, methodology, and impact on society will never be explained fully in any Chapter article, though I'm going to provide a basic description in the next version of the article.

In my chapter (the Blood Dragons - IA to come when I get a chance), recruits are selected from particularly heroic late teens who serve in auxillary guard regiments. Our world is under constant attack due to proximity to a warp rift that spits out daemons and xenos with alarming regularity, so there are plenty of opportunities for 16-17yos to prove themselves in battle. The ones who are known to be reasonable matches for Sanguinius' gene-seed are already being watched - and if deemed worthy they are tested more thoroughly and maybe given the opportunity to join the Astartes. 

The Basilisks have a dangerous mutation problem that produces feral beasts, and a need to test recruits. So they box up the mutants, and send the recruits in to purge. Survivors make the grade. They don't get too many, but they take care of two birds with one stone.

The Sons of Unity have a more conventional, "feat of heroism" trial involving the retrieval of a chapter artifact from the hostile ocean floor.

I do find it difficult to concoct things that feel like thematically appropriate trials, without being heavy handed. I mean, sometimes I like being heavy handed, but y'know subtlety is good now and then, too.

My DIY Chapter, the Praetorian Sword (PA) have chosen a more traditional schola militarum approach to recruitment. This is more in line with their XIII Legion origins. The PA have a large population of bonded humans (I'll call them "bondsmen" for now until I come up with a better name) that originally traveled with the Battle Fleet in colony ships (except those directly attached to the Battle Fleet). Centuries later more centralized and secure facilities were established in allied territories.

Qualified (based on health and intelligence) young male children of these bondsmen are entered into a training facility similar to the Spartan Agoge at age seven. Annually, the most qualified youths between the ages of eleven and thirteen are chosen to participate in recruitment games. These grueling tests of strength, endurance, intelligence, and combat skills include races, obstacle courses, group exercises, as well as individual and group combat. The winners are chosen based not only on individual prowess, but intelligence, adaptability, and the ability to work within a group. These champions are then remitted to the 10th Company as Astartes neophytes.

Fatalities are inevitable in such demanding competitions, but they are kept to a minimum. Although the Astartes of the Praetorian Sword are trained and conditioned to a high level of brutality and ruthlessness, "death games" are not encouraged. They are considered unnecessarily cruel and a waste of resources. These competitions have served the parent Ultramarines Chapter in recruiting neophytes since the days of the Great Crusade. The PA see no need to change this.

Brother Dolch, I assume these ideas we are presenting are for your Crimson Sons of Vengeance, yes? Did you decide against the recruitment of 'devils" or are you just looking for a greater level of detail?

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

What do you mean by subtly? Like it's an actual miracle, but it's left ambiguous in the IA, or more like it may or may not be a miracle, but the Chapter regards it as such anyway?

In my DIY chapter, my chapter recruits only from a particular star system. Now the system is a cross breed of the consus drift and Inwit. A red dwarf surrounded by a harsh group of worlds and colonies. The various clans (there are several... big and small) all tithe their second born sons to the Chapter. The tithe must be given on the child’s 7th birthday. Other children can volunteer or be volunteered by their parents on their 7th birthday as well, but only the second son of each family is required.

The idea behind this is that the harshness of the star system, whether the lifeless vacuum of the various void cities and asteroid colonies or the harsh climates of the various habital worlds produce a resource starved but tough survivable people. The environment weeds out the weak, stupid and clumsy. The various inter clan rivalries and trials over scarce resources even more so. The heir to the family who survives to recruitment age is retained by the family and the clan. To insure the line moves on. The second son born is the Chapters. Rising and successful clans encourage more sons to swell their ranks and prowess against their rivals. Which generate plenty of aspirant children. Falling and starving clans resort to volunteering their young sons to better manage their dwindling resources and Marry their daughters to bigger clans which produce children. It’s a cycle. Clans rise and fall and are replaced... but the chapter gets its tithe and then some.

This is needed because the Chapter is of Imperial Fist descent and the implantation process is exceptionally painful and brutal. Failure rates are high and surviving this process produces a Grimm, resolute and determined Space Marine. The clans never know if their children made it or not. It’s always assumed they did. A tithe to the God Emperor to fight his wars and protect his people. The only interaction between chapter and people is when collecting the tithe, or when a clan determines they want to abstain from giving the Emperor his due.

How about a selection process that is mental rather than physical?

The idea is this.... On one of the recruitment worlds there is a cave that the locals shun and believe to be haunted by a demon spirit. Of those who were foolish enough to enter only a few have returned. Those who did come back were deeply changed and unable (or unwilling) to describe their experience. The Chapter Librarians examine the cave and find it to be saturated with psychic energy emanating from deep below the cave (source can be an artifact, daemon trapped in stasis, whatever). The psychic  energy focuses and manifests the deepest fears of whoever enters the cave.

The Chapter uses this cave initially as just one part of the recruitment ritual. It is discovered that aspirants who survive the ritual exhibit not only greater mental toughness than other recruits (originally this ritual is only used on aspirants from this particular world) but a greater implant survival rate as well. All aspirants must be examined for base-line mental and physical characteristics, but eventually the cave test becomes the soul ritual for choosing neophytes.

….. or something like that:teehee:

To add onto the awesome stuff that Brother Lunkhead just offered, take it a bit further down the religious chosen idea...

The cave is pure evil. The aspirant is alone... hungry... cold... and mentally tested in every way. Confusion, insanity and death await 90 percent of those who enter. The only ones to make it out believe they did so via prayer to the God Emperor. This cave is a mental pain-glove. And in that pain and despair those who seek the Emperors divine guidance believe they are visited by him not unlike what happened with Rogal Dorn. Every aspirant who survives the trial personally believes they were chosen by the Emperor himself. The child arises out of the cave baptized in the light of the Emperor... born again hard and ready for the implantation process.

Now the Chapter cult can expand this. Now you have thousands of years of a warrior society that all believe they were chosen from the Emperor to be space marines. Maybe they try to remember what the Emperor said... maybe a prophecy was given to them about their life or some critical moment they must be ready for. Each warrior dedicated himself to completing this task, or preparing for what they believe the Emperor told them.

I’m spitballing.