Solid starting units of the Rout

So, I just picked up a patrol detachment of wolves to field alongside some dark angels (just read Leman Russ book with the Lion and the Wolf duel and decided I’d use the stratagem in a list).

Anyhow, just painted up some grey hunters and really liked the look of them. What are some other good space wolf unit choices (especially ones that might fill gaps or roles that other marine armies don’t do)

1018656_sm-Grey%20hunters.jpeg

Longfangs are better devastators hands down. Always worth a go. Wulfen are brutal if they make combat. Bjorn is a beast and has character protection. I still like grey hunters in 5 man packs with Razorbacks (thought they are really just marines with an extra Chainsword). Also our fliers are quite good for the points and worth a go as well.

Space Wolves generally melee better than vanilla marines but not as good as Blood Angels.

On the otherhand we also shoot better than melee armies but as good as Dark Angels.

Jack of all trades master of none kind of codex with a bit more of a slant to melee.

Our HQs are great as melee allies and offer different tricks than a BA smash captain. For example the best bodyguard for a knight is a Space Wolf with the armor of russ. Making a unit fight last gives the knight good odds to kill it before being hurt.

Wulfen are one of our extreme melee units that perform well but are expensive to field

We also have keen senses stratagem to ignore shooting penalties which combos well with extreme shooting units. Long fangs...leviathan with dual storm cannons and repulsor tank can all go bananas ignoring plague bearer and eldar defensive tricks

Looking nice  :). I don`t know how your Group handles Equipment since Grey Hunters wield Boltgun, Boltpistol Standard and can get an extra Chainsword for free. At the first Glance I thought those where Blood Claws which wield Chainsword and Boltpistol.

I run mostly grey hunters as well. But 15 bloodclaws in the flyer is pretty fun.

The axe and shield dreads are pretty fun to play with a 4+ invulnerable save is quite handy.

Long Fangs are very effective I find. Give them a razorback for more dakka.

The +1 to hit when charging, receiving a charge, or heroic invervention is great for smashing units. I would look to add wolf guard pack leaders for the extra nastiness with wolf claws or power fists. And a possible storm shield to go with it.

I run mostly grey hunters as well. But 15 bloodclaws in the flyer is pretty fun.

The axe and shield dreads are pretty fun to play with a 4+ invulnerable save is quite handy.

Long Fangs are very effective I find. Give them a razorback for more dakka.

The +1 to hit when charging, receiving a charge, or heroic invervention is great for smashing units. I would look to add wolf guard pack leaders for the extra nastiness with wolf claws or power fists. And a possible storm shield to go with it.

It seems like the +1 to hit would be perfect with a powerfist or thunder hammer

• 4 weeks later...

To resurrect my old thread... Murderfang! Is Murderfang any good? I hear bjorn always mentioned but never this guy.

He seems like a beast from the datasheet (although not getting an invuln leaves him a bit... vulnerable). (I’m also tempted because I have a two clawed furioso that I am toying with converting into MF)

Those models looks very good!

I like your painting style!

I have enough to put together a long fang unit, with 3x missile launchers, so I might try that.

I find Plasma Cannons great with Long Fangs. Innate re-rolls of 1 to hit means I can supercharge always. That makes them significantly more killy than Hellblasters.

Hellblasters are more durable, so I'm considering adding a Terminator Pack Leader with a Storm Shield to add durability. Even with him, they are more killy than Hellblasters for their points, and their durability is comparable - better against some and worse against others. Plus, it's unique.

I've enjoyed playing with Murderfang. If he gets the charge off, he kills almost anything. That said, probably not competitive.

• 1 month later...