Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Neat proxy idea, need a size comparison

Astra Militarum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 907 posts

I had the (probably not uncommon) idea to pick up some Star Wars: Legion models to run as a fun proxy for Astra Militarum. AT-STs as Sentinels, Stormtroopers as Infantry Squads, Darth Vader as a Primaris Psyker, etc. How's the size match up? 28mm? Is the AT-ST the same size as a Sentinel, bigger, smaller?

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_6252.pnggallery_48988_15808_10055.png

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

CommissarZac

CommissarZac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 321 posts
  • Faction: Joutinhiem 798th Armored

GhS7aXD.jpg

Not too bad I'd say

From what I've seen though it looks like the AT-AT is more sized to a Knight titan

0KQk4U1.jpg

Edited by CommissarZac, 20 July 2019 - 07:21 AM.

• The Ergonomic Enginseer and Zephaniah Adriyen like this

KhorneHunter57x

KhorneHunter57x

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,986 posts

The Rebel AT-RT would be a better fit for the Sentinel, as they are almost the same size.  You might want to replace the rider, however - or you can wait and hope that they re-release it for the Republic.

"We must thank the Emperor, I suppose, that it was Roboute Guilliman's gene-line that proved the most stable and prevalent. Had it been that of Russ or the Khan, for example, we would have found ourselves defended by feral savages barely distinguishable from our foes. At least the Ultramarines successors understand how to conduct war in a civilized fashion." - pg. 25, Codex Supplement: Ultramarines

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,171 posts

Just googled what that was

It does look like a perfect candidate for a Scout Sentinel counts as, although to be honest I really like the GW kits for the current sentinels and given the similarity I'm not sure what you would be gaining? 

• CommissarZac likes this

leinglo

leinglo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14 posts
  • Faction: Grey Wings

I'd like to know how well the scale for infantry parts would compare. For instance, there's plenty for alternate heads made for Legion available on Shapeways, but there's no way of telling how well they'd fit on GW models, guardsmen in particular.

"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both."

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,683 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

I used the Legion Scout Trooper models to try and make Solar Auxilia pioneers and my main take away's were this:

-The arms can be used on marine or necromunda scaled models and not look out of place on the table, but will be noticeably longer and out of proportion up close.

-The torsos are too long

-The combination of star wars helmets being very large and the bigger sizes of Legion models mean the heads are entirely incompatible

-The weapons are true to star wars scale, so will fit GW heroic scale weapons models - but the weapons are not seperate pieces and take a lot of work to remove from the Legion models. 

-The bases are smaller and taller than GW Bases

-The resin itself is not a hard resin, but very gummy. A modeling saw wont work, you have to use a scalpel and scalpels cannot achieve even cuts

Overall, the Legio models are really nice - for a star wars game. They require so much work and cutting and sculpting even at the cheaper prices it would be easier to source a GW kit. 

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astra Militarum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users