super mega terrain discussion

• 2 weeks later...

I'm painting up the forgotten city board tiles from Secret Weapon miniatures (its in the fist post).  Here are 4 of the 11 or so tiles I've done so far.

UsXfLwT.jpg

They're pretty simple to get looking pretty good - the tiles about are sprayed in a tan colour, the flagstones and ruins are drybrushed Ushabi Bone, then the whole thing is washed with a chestnut brown craftpaint.  I've since given the ruined stone pieces (so, not the flagstones, but the ruined walls, etc.) a drybrush of Flayed One before the wash, which helps them pop a bit more - but I don't think I did so for the tiles above.

Once I'm done the last 5 of the forgotten city tiles, I can post them here if there is interest, and then I have 16 Secret Weapon scrap yard tiles to do.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

At least for the forgotten city tiles, the changing them up is mostly aesthetic - there isn't a lot of actual terrain features that would affect game play or the placement of other small terrain pieces.  Still, the modularity lets your battlefield at least look different for different games, which helps take away some of the "why are are our armies fighting here again" that you can get from fixed battlemats.

I think the modularity will be more important with the scrap yard tiles, as there are essentially baracades and terrain that could actually provide cover to infantry model, usually in the middle of the tiles - this could also make placing other terrain difficult, especially if said terrain is bigger than 6-8" in both depth and width.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was playing a WWII game at 1:32 scale so i broke out a bunch of the old JR miniatures rubber roads and a group of buildings that were custom made for the stores large scale  "saving private ryan" table. it is lovely but a paint o move so we just used them on the game mat. 

RQx2Rf0.jpg

evizD6P.jpg

LBEkSMu.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Little update

found these guys with some nice pre-painted resin terrain sets

gamemat EU

https://www.gamemat.eu/en/terrain/pre-painted-resin-terrain/

rcb_all.jpg

isp_aaa_z1.jpg

As an admech player i also love this terrain mat they carry

6fom_aa.jpg

Another little add on i found recently for fantastic 3d printed terrain i have a bit of it and it is very nice-

canvastemple terrain. 

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg

s-l225.jpg
Edited by mughi3

• 3 months later...

A little update i am in the process of putting together terrain for the above pictured mat 

I scored quite a few reasonably priced items that look mechanicus -ish

several from canvastemple including a set of liquid storage containers, a main bunker and a landing pad, a set of 3 hard foam barracks from micro art studio, some sector 12 mechanical buildings, and some scatter tettain from theprintpire ebay store.

s-l225.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l225.jpg

$_1.JPG

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

I am also eyeing this gothic train set for future purchase-

s-l500.jpg

A new edition i just found was this ebay store that sells some fantastic 3d printed terrain sets in epic and 28mm scale for tau eldar, dark eldar, imperial, necron, chaos 

Better Games and Hobbies | eBay Stores

Edited by mughi3

If there has to be something called an 'advantage' to having respiratory issues i guess it might be if you're a gamer you can use empty inhaler cans as induistrial terrain in games like 40k and necromunda.

Here's an example:

50839458947_507fa2afff_k.jpg137386468_4280030018680015_5032675035733356310_o by matt swain, on Flickr

As a reference it's 2" tall including the nozzle.