Tesla vs Gauss

jgascoine011

What are peoples thoughts on which is more competitive. More specifically with dynasties.

With the Mephrit dynasty, it seems to give tesla the edge or put it on par over gauss.

But then you are forced to take Mephrit, where as i could take another dynasty and use gauss.

But...Tesla does have the range advantage.

Ahh, the choice is too much

Range advantage on Tesla negates the advantage of taking Mephrit. Suddenly your gauss blasters are AP -2 and firing just as many shots.

Not that it stops me (or will, anyway) but the above is probably the logical advice.

I have enough immortals for a full squad of both, so when they finally hit the field after ETL I’ll be playing that way.

As someone who has played gauss Immortals exclusively all of 8th: take tesla :lol:

It's not that gauss doesn't have its merits, but the AP is often less than useful for me where the weight of fire brought on by tesla Immortals buffed by the My Will Be Done or Wave of Command abilities is excellent for putting the hits out at range. 

If you play them as Mephrit there's always the Talent for Annihilation stratagem that lets you take another shot when you roll a natural 6 to hit. If you play them as Sautekh you can use the Methodical Destruction stratagem to get to a 4+ tesla activation in the right circumstances. Honestly all the Codes have something to offer, Nephrekh likes assault weapons, Nihilakh complements their range when stationary. Novokh is sorta funny but it's the only Code that benefits units universally if not necessarily equally.

Range advantage on Tesla negates the advantage of taking Mephrit. Suddenly your gauss blasters are AP -2 and firing just as many shots.

Not that it stops me (or will, anyway) but the above is probably the logical advice.

I have enough immortals for a full squad of both, so when they finally hit the field after ETL I’ll be playing that way.

Well this is the thing.

Is having an extra shot, with the tesla rule better than the -2AP with gauss...and the answer is yes 9/10 times.

And at less than 12" tesla and gauss probably even out with the Mephrit dynasty

Really my question is:

Is the -1AP to tesla at short range better than taking another dynasty and running gauss instead.

Also, what is better to run tomb blades as...gauss or tesla, given that they can get into rapid fire range much easier than immortals

In a nutshell if you're looking for competitive Immortals right now it's 20-30 with tesla and Imotekh/Overlord(s) using the Sautekh Code. I haven't seen a tournament list for a long time that hasn't had that going for it.

Mephrit doesn't even show up at that level of play in favour of multiple uses of MWBD across tesla Immortals.

In a nutshell if you're looking for competitive Immortals right now it's 20-30 with tesla and Imotekh/Overlord(s) using the Sautekh Code. I haven't seen a tournament list for a long time that hasn't had that going for it.

Mephrit doesn't even show up at that level of play in favour of multiple uses of MWBD across tesla Immortals.

Wow interesting, i would have thought Mephrit would have been the more competitive.

How are people running tomb blades as they cant be MWBD'd which is pretty stupid. The CCB should ateast be able to MWBD them

Mephrit is not exactly optimal in the grand scheme of things and considering a lot of Necron weapons have a good AP anyway. I like using the Talent for Annihilation stratagem with my Destroyer and Warrior blobs but outside of that it's pretty meh.

As for Tomb Blades, while I don't have much to say on them personally there's a series we run here in the Necron forum called "Unit of the Week" where we spotlight units and discuss relevant tactics in the current setting. The Tomb Blade entry is here and the index of all that we've covered so far is here. Hopefully that can help you out :tu:

On immortals I’m on Tesla over gauss. I use Mephrit dynasty myself. I’ll usua veil in a squad of 10 with an Overlord and dump shots. As mentioned the extra ap is nice, but it’s volume of shots that make it deadly.

For tomb blades, I take gauss because it’s easier to get in rapid fire range and they can’t get mwbd. I also take the 3+ armor save and ignores cover. Making them ap-3 and ignore cover in RF range tends to be effective at getting objective campers routed out.