Unit of the week: Night Scythe

NTaW

47833310252_ac595e79b1_c.jpg

Welcome to the Necron Unit of the Week Series!

Each week a different unit will be highlighted for discussion until we have amalgamated a full list of our available options and their relevant tactics as 8th edition evolves. We already have a few previous entries but things change as FAQs and Chapter Approved books get released and we playtest new ideas so please feel free to reopen a topic when new options become relevant for discussion.

Please keep in mind this isn't to lament the status of featured units or compare them to others but to try and find their potential for all types of gameplay.

This week’s unit is:

48351561766_06333f8acb_z.jpg

As a loose guide, here are some questions we could answer to help out any who happen upon our metallic corner of the B&C:

• What Code do you prefer?

• What synergies have you found with other units?

• Are there any stratagems that specifically buff this unit?

• Do you build your list around this unit or use it to fill some points?

• What are some of the strengths and weaknesses of this unit?

Now over to you!

:biggrin.:  I look forward to hearing info on this baby...(it's next in line for my ETL vows :happy.:

I'm putting it together now and i must say it's a nice easy model to put together and there's lotsa room on top for adding Dynasty detail (if one wanted to add it of course)

Mine will be Mephrit aligned so i guess trying to get over the board and drop a unit and shoot someone up close will work with that dynasty?... not that i'm counting on just the twin tesla's

making a dint... :sweat:

Cheers, Mithril

The value of the Night Scythe is as a transport. So the dynasty NEEDS to be the dynasty of the troops you're transporting. Since usually it's my Lychguard I need a ride for, that means Novokh is usually gonna be the dynasty I use (if I bother splitting my army into multiple dynasties which I rarely do, but if I was at a tournament I would). The Scythe itself doesn't gain much from any individual dynasty, and if you aren't using it as a transport it isn't worth using at all.

If you really want synergy more than anything, you could make it Mephrit and use it to drop some Immortals off on objectives. It gets the - 1 ap, and they would too. But if you aren't planning on charging there are quicker or easier ways to move units (Veil of Darkness or the Deceiver could get you in position turn one with no or less risk of being shot off the board too soon).

The biggest problem with the Night Scythe is that when it blows up we have to spend CP to save the units inside, and can save only one. Another vehicle can do that for free or can save every unit inside. The tradeoff is we can load as much as we want into them, but that doesn't add much since it's way too risky to put multiples in. The only real benefit we get from it is that we can choose which unit from the pool to deploy from each Scythe. So if one blows up turn one you lose nothing unless it was your only Scythe.

Correct, they both draw on the ‘Tomb World’ which is separate from regular reinforcements but otherwise subject to the exact same restrictions...including sharing the power cap.

That said I don’t think a monolith is going to be a backup for a night scythe but rather the other way round.

(Incidentally the Tomb Citadel has the same rule and draws from the ‘Tomb World’ as well.)

It can drop a unit within just over 1" of an enemy and with a 60" fly move it can generally drop a unit within 1" of any enemy unit on turn one. For a cp it can deploy 2 units.  There are a few interesting uses. 

Deploy a flayed one unit near an important enemy alng with a cryptek. The cryptek gives  them 5++ save  vs overwatch and helps with resurrection rolls. The flayed ones may tie up a u it and stop it advancing for a turn or two. 

Drop death marks within 12" of a character you hate and they can rapid fire at him. 

Drop a unit on an objective in enemy territory. 

The main thing with it is the 60" move. If you don't  have a plan for that then you have little use for a night scythe. If you haves plan that uses that effectively it can win you a game. 

yeah my plan was to run it in conjunction with the Monolith as a back up for that (:wink:) ... so any unit in the croissant needs to be the same Dynasty as the flyer right?..

in my limited unit choice (at present) i have gauss Immortals for that at the moment but was thinking what else could be used that's more dangerous in the back lines...

apart from flayed ones :sweat:

Mithril