2000 PT Plague Marine Spam: Bolters and Blight Launchers 2.0

DemetriiTZ

I’d say +1 to taking the plague caster or even Necrosius (sorry if misspelt) - although not relic on the latter.

I do like the list and glad to see it has some mileage, but I do agree with maybe a bigger squad and some flails with the new school assault rules.

Yeah, Blightlords are more than sufficient. 6d3 Flail attacks on round 1 is fine, considering 25 Axe swings as well. Between ArchContam and VoTLW + Blades + DTTFE (sometimes), they basically paste even Knights in a single round.

Whatever PMs do in melee is just frosting. Terminators are the real CC threat. I'm just happy we got our 2 Attack Plague Marines w/ bolters back. They've been a staple since 4th for me.

I’m wondering if a prince or two could be useful to add as a threat as well, just for an additional threat in CC and and a counter charge with some speed. The blightlords do only get a single chance at a drop and then they’re relatively stuck in place.

Well, the trick is to use the Plague Marines to cordone off a large swathe of the board, which funnels people into a location where Blightlords can corner them. In ITC, it isn't always about simply tabling someone, and Blightlords are primarily a way to nearly guarantee removal of 1-2 chaff units per turn with combined firepower from other Plague Marines in concert, while largely remaining focused (as an army) on board control overall. Princes are bullies and "traders" -- they jump out, kill something, and usually die afterwards. Marines, however, often benefit from cover, and can deal damage at a very comfortable range while on the move. CC happens, for this army, around Turn 3 or 4, after I have presumably dumped around 400-600 shots into the enemy. Now that we have double the number of attacks on Plague Marines in combat, and considering Arch-Contaminator basically means every Marine is equipped with a Plaguesword, they actually can do work on tougher targets, AND chaff stragglers.

I have more playtesting coming up on Saturday, so I'll let you guys all know how that goes.

Yeah, you have to get good at corraling enemies. If Blightlords do not make their charge from DS, it's not a big deal. They are fine as bullet sponges who can advance on an objective, and any CC they manage is incidental for me.

Yeah, you have to get good at corraling enemies. If Blightlords do not make their charge from DS, it's not a big deal. They are fine as bullet sponges who can advance on an objective, and any CC they manage is incidental for me.

Do you always deepstrike them or have you found a situation where you’d rather have themT1?

Case-by-case. If the enemy has screens, they're fine to slog into, because eating chaff and laughing at return fire is their ideal. Versus Knights, and stuff with low model count, DS can be a good option. Long board deployment also sometimes demands it.

• 3 weeks later...

Been interested in this topic, love MEQ equivalents and Chaos, so far plague marines are the best that we can get. Have you had any experience fighting other MEQ armies like primaris space marines?

MEQ has traditionally referred to a unit with the stats of a Marine: WS3+ BS3+ T4 S4 W1 SV 3+. Primaris Space Marines are not MEQ and should be in there own category. 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

Been interested in this topic, love MEQ equivalents and Chaos, so far plague marines are the best that we can get. Have you had any experience fighting other MEQ armies like primaris space marines?

MEQ has traditionally referred to a unit with the stats of a Marine: WS3+ BS3+ T4 S4 W1 SV 3+. Primaris Space Marines are not MEQ and should be in there own category. 

Okay, so PEQs.  

• 1 month later...

Yeah, Blightlords are more than sufficient. 6d3 Flail attacks on round 1 is fine, considering 25 Axe swings as well. Between ArchContam and VoTLW + Blades + DTTFE (sometimes), they basically paste even Knights in a single round.

Whatever PMs do in melee is just frosting. Terminators are the real CC threat. I'm just happy we got our 2 Attack Plague Marines w/ bolters back. They've been a staple since 4th for me.

Have you played with list recently against the new space marines?