Just came into some Orks, where to go?

General Strike

So, I traded a army I didn't want anymore for a buddies pile of Orks. This netted me 90 Ork Boyz, slugga and Choppa, and around 60 gretchen. They are those amazing old plastic boys and gretchen, from 1993. I want to run that aesthetic for my whole army, the fantasy orks in space look. He also included 2x metal dreads and 2x metal big Meks with Shok Attack guns. I want to buy some more Boyz second hand on Ebay, just in case, but I plan to use modern models for Nobs and Characters, using marauder bits from AoS to make them more fantasy. What should I get next. With all my boyz and grots, I'm at about 1000 points.

That's a great starting point. 90 boyz and 30 gretchin are three battallions, once you add the HQs in. From there, you can really add whatever you want to that solid base. The "best" options are Lootas and/or Mek Gunz. You can probably find the old loota models or convert them, but the Mek Gunz would certainly need converting. Another good option that would need converting is the Dakkajet. And you can probably find another one of those old dreads, and tellyporta them onto the table (they are 1 unit until they hit the table). Alternatively, they are now about the right size for a Killa Kan, which while not good, are fun.

Expanding outwards, battlewagons/bonebreakas and the ork 'nauts are what I've currently got my eyes on, as a bunch of T8 wounds seems like it would be pretty stellar.

Really, you can take whatever you want. Fitting the fantasy, mongolian-esque look of the "Space Ork"s would certainly be a big project, but one I'd think would be a lot of fun. Oh, and banners. That was the era of banners, right? Might as well go all in!

So I made up a quick list to decide on what I will buy.

Battalion: Bad Moons

HQ

Big Mek Shock Attack Gun

Big Mek Shock Attack Gun

Troops

Gretchin: 10x Grots

Heavy Support

Lootas: 15x Orks

Lootas: 10x Orks

Battalion: Goffs

HQ

Ghaz Skull Thraka

Weirdboy

Weirdboy

Troops

Boyz: 30x Boyz

Fast Attack

Warbikers: Nob with Claw, 2x Bikers

I would be buying the bikers and lootas. I just cant bring myself to buy mek guns because they are 30$ for a 20-45 point model. If I can find them third party.

Edited by General Strike

Looking good. Why the second set of 10 lootas? That used to be the way to go, but the Spring FAQ made it so you can't mob up non-boyz units anymore. Lootas are a good unit, but incredibly fragile for their cost, and need Grot Shields to protect them. Since you can only use a stratagem once per phase, the second unit of lootas will probably evaporate every game. Maybe in a trukk or battlewagon.

Ah, I hadn't realized that about the FAQ. Hmm How are flash gitz? I love the models.

They've been poo-poo'd, but I think they aren't so bad. They could work with grot shields, but that requires the grots to be Freebootas, which probably means the whole detachment is. It would be great to just put them in a battlewagon, but that is a lot of points in something that isn't that hard to kill. Maybe tellyporta them behind a grot screen in position Turn 2? Da jump them?

But they are brutally effective, offensively.

As Toaae said, on paper they are good. The problem is they need a large amount of support due to the keyword interactions. It starts growing a problem until you need a whole detachment of support then, you look at more cost effective options like lootas, and it becomes tough to justify taking them. If they just had the normal clan kulture rule I imagine you'd see them more. Edited by Amon777