Echoes of Eisenstein - upscaling madness with the XIV

On the modelling front, I finally started making some killer robots. Bloat drones, being fast(er than the footsloggers...) and relatively punchy in combat, have been a thing on my mind for some time now. The Echoes don't use daemons and the default pose is a bit eh anyway, so off to the chopping board it was. With a bit cleaner look, they can be painted up as floating hunter-killer robots rather than daemonic cyber-flies. Now they're more like shrimp, perhaps  :S-

1121711_sm-.jpg
1121713_sm-.jpg
1121712_sm-.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A sideproject for Kill Team, being inspired by the Thousand Sons Warpcoven rules in White Dwarf! A trio of mutant witch kings, leading their thralls and robot servants in a grimy maybe-sorta-ish Unification Wars vibe of non-Imperial human dregs.

And so it begins, the first techno-barbarian mutant of the witch coven has been built. I really love the Mechanicus bits, the servitor sprue is really versatile for various weird builds.

1123238_sm-.jpg
1123239_sm-.jpg
1123240_sm-.jpg

With a bunch of dendrites and a suitably galaxy-brained head from a Helbrute, they're a suitably intimidating fella to kick this project off with.

The building phase is done!

This project is starting to get a distinctly radioactive taste of Unification Wars in my mouth. I like it, a dash of the Old Night makes one feel alive.

While the first philosopher king had a staff like the ancient Monkey who feared no man nor daemon, the second is an astute swordsman with power over time itself.

1123334_sm-.jpg
1123335_sm-.jpg
1123336_sm-.jpg

The third, the occult alchemist, wields a flame that burns the soul off of its victims.

1123339_sm-.jpg
1123338_sm-.jpg
1123337_sm-.jpg

Their servants range from the mindless to the devout. First, a barely sentient wretch that's only a scratch above the guns it carries:

1123333_sm-.jpg
1123332_sm-.jpg

The stim-addled thralls, lapping succour at the feet of their masters:

1123328_sm-.jpg
1123329_sm-.jpg
1123330_sm-.jpg
1123331_sm-.jpg
1123327_sm-.jpg
1123326_sm-.jpg

A champion, a courageous fighter who has bested a Null Maiden of the Thunder hordes at the behest of her sorcerous overlords.

1123324_sm-.jpg
1123325_sm-.jpg

Very cool. I love when people create models without a care for rules; much more freedom with that mindset. Looking forward to seeing paint on these models.

Thanks, hopefully they'll jump the painting queue (poor Possessed, still waiting...). I'm really excited with these!

While I love to let the bitz guide the creation, it's funny that you'd say that, as these models were very much inspired and shaped by their intended rules. Let's take a look here :D

The Warpcoven can have three Sorcerers, who can represent three different disciplines of magic. Similar, but with small differences. The trio will be armed individually, as only one can have a warpflame pistol while I wanted one, the swordsman, to be armed for melee in particular. I wanted one heavy weapon in the team, but since the Rubricae are just tools for their masters, the gunner needed to be either a robot or a drooling moron that would be just kicked around and look unlively enough to justify All Is Dust against small arms. Likewise, as the thralls are ruleswise Tzaangors, they needed cyber and drugs to make up for having one wound over normal guardsmen etc.

Very, very nice creations! :thumbsup: 

For a moment I thought the Swordsman had a tail and later saw the mechandendrite is actually affixed to it's belt. Wouldn't you fancy making a real tail out of it after all? It seems to work well with the overall shape of the model but dos not have a 'function' in the same way it has with the first witch-king.

Very, very nice creations! :thumbsup: 

For a moment I thought the Swordsman had a tail and later saw the mechandendrite is actually affixed to it's belt. Wouldn't you fancy making a real tail out of it after all? It seems to work well with the overall shape of the model but dos not have a 'function' in the same way it has with the first witch-king.

Thanks Majkhel.

There's no belt there though (discounting the chain above), the dendrite writhes its way out of his guts ;)

• 3 weeks later...

At the club our Crusade campaign has rolled along nicely, but people have been hankering for some proper narrative missions as well. While reading old White Dwarfs, I was inspired by a four scenario mini-campaign from 2011 where Black Templars were raiding a Necron tomb, intending to destroy the nexus keeping it operational (a free, immobile Monolith with power fields). This struck me as a rather fitting chassis for a battle in the narrative that had developed over our games thus far: my Echoes had stolen reactor technology, supplies and seized ground in order to fix their Falchion, Fourth Horseman, into operational condition. Naturally, our regular Tau enemies would see this not happening and soon, Commander Shadowsun would be leading a raid to stop such nonsense. There is no time limit in the mission, it depends solely on the fate of the fully armed and operational battle sta... tank! Called Operation Halifax by the attackers, it was time to embark. Death or glory!

It was also a wonderful excuse to use these beautiful Necromunda boards at the club! The WD mission was played on a 2' x 8' board, a perfect fit for the four 2' x 2' pieces we had.

1125629_sm-.JPG

Welcome to Under-Kumpula, where the XIV operate their secret garage deep in the heart of the artificial mountain that hive cities are. No tanks or drop troop reinforcements would make it in these depths without full-blown operational war raging outside.

As the first klaxons started ringing, Magister Hektor quickly deployed the proper defences into place.

1125630_sm-.JPG
1125631_sm-.JPG

Soon after, the Tau burst in through the front doors and overwhelm the outer patrols.

1125632_sm-.JPG
1125633_sm-.JPG

Squad Knutzen puts up a valiant fight, taking down one Broadside, but the numbers are too much and they fall under the weight of fire.

1125634_sm-.JPG

While the Horseman isn't moving yet, it's cannons are fully operational and the attackers are soon forced to duck for cover in the abundant nooks and corridors of the complex as a roaring beam of blinding light blasts through the main causeways with the fury of a thousand suns.

1125635_sm-.JPG

Spearheaded by the Riptide, the Tau remind the defenders of their long range capabilities and seriously dent the front armour of the Falchion. Galvanized by this realization, Magister Hektor leads the second line into a counter attack in force. The Riptide must fall and so it shall, eventually punctured by Hertz' Contemptor's lascannons after the drone swarm around it had been torn apart by his Leviathan brother Gödel.

1125636_sm-.JPG

By this point, Captain-Commander Erasmus has snorted his coffee up the wrong way in his office and quickly teleported in with his bodyguard, massively pissed off by this ruckus. As he appears next to the enemy firebase, he is greeted by the enemy suit commander and a faceful of fusion guns. Seemingly fuelled by pure anger, his force fields deflect all of the deathly rays harmlessly.

1125637_sm-.JPG

In return, Erasmus' melta finds it mark and he charges forwards over the smoking ruin of the Tau suit.

1125638_sm-.JPG

Mighty as he is, the Captain-Commander is but one man and the reinforcements are still far behind. Along with his bodyguard he is felled to Shadowsun's double Kay'on, soon followed by Gödel's massive form lit up by big guns.

1125639_sm-.JPG

The Tau force has however been somewhat depleted by this point, dealing with the headlong charge and being raked from afar by Hertz' long range support. Seeing their captain fall, Eberhard's veteran terminators surge forth under Hektor's protective spells and spell doom for the static firebase opposite. Mind-bullets and bolter rounds meet missiles and pulse fire as the terminators push through.

1125640_sm-.JPG

Arendt's linemen are too far to join the assault in time, but their support finds purchase in the Broadsides as they rush through the decrepid corridors.

1125641_sm-.JPG

While Hertz is sweeping the remaining Fire Warriors from the upper platforms, Eberhard's men show once again how the Wall of Stone denies death at every opportunity. Losing three men as they walk through fire, it is still over for the Tau when they get their claws on the suits. While the terminators rip Shadowsun and the last Broadside to pieces, Hektor is psionically throwing bodies around and smearing brains over the walls in contempt.

1125642_sm-.JPG

Though many have fallen and Erasmus needs new bionic organs (again), the Horseman is safe and the enemy threat neutralized.

A victory for the Echoes!

Eyy, why settle for starting when you can paint the whole group in one go instead!

Rise, horrors of the Old Night! Death to the False Emperor, for Terra belongs to the proper philosopher kings!

Whole gang, vibin':

1126110_sm-.jpg

The Three Kings:

1126111_sm-.jpg
1126112_sm-.jpg
1126113_sm-.jpg
1126114_sm-.jpg
1126115_sm-.jpg
1126116_sm-.jpg
1126117_sm-.jpg
1126118_sm-.jpg
1126119_sm-.jpg
1126120_sm-.jpg
1126121_sm-.jpg
1126122_sm-.jpg
1126123_sm-.jpg
1126124_sm-.jpg
1126125_sm-.jpg

Particularily happy with the psi-sword of the last fella.

Rest of the images, then:

Dancer of the Apocalypse:

1126126_sm-.jpg
1126127_sm-.jpg
1126128_sm-.jpg
1126129_sm-.jpg

Champion of the Lost:

1126130_sm-.jpg
1126131_sm-.jpg
1126132_sm-.jpg
1126133_sm-.jpg
1126134_sm-.jpg

Pew-Pew XIII:

1126135_sm-.jpg
1126136_sm-.jpg
1126137_sm-.jpg

Atomic Blyat:

1126138_sm-.jpg
1126139_sm-.jpg
1126140_sm-.jpg

Icon of Sin:

1126141_sm-.jpg
1126142_sm-.jpg

I'm very happy with how they tuned out, as well as always loving working with reds. The aesthetic chaos of the Unification theme is... tempting. Though this is only a off-the-cuff side project, it might lure me to continue under its siren song. After all, representing the Thunder Legions with counts-as Custodes teams wouldn't take more than a handful of models...

Cool to see some shots of that wonderful Kill Team in action.

Thanks Sock. Turns out the Warpcoven is also pretty fun to play, so it'll probably pop up in some reports later down the line.

For now, it inspired me to purchase some bits and start plotting out the next gaggle of sordid cannibals to build next year while enticing a couple of my buddies to create some Unifications stuff as well so that we might celebrate my birthday with a proper Thunderdome throwdown :D

Getting pretty close to wrapping up 2021's hobby time, what with the holiday retreats creeping closer and away from the painting station.

The first feeling would be that I didn't achieve much on the hobby front this year, given half of it was spent in the Defence Forces, but let's tally what did get done. Plenty of gaming happened, though, which is always a plus (especially the very fun Titanicus mega-battle).

Built but unpainted:

- 9 Possessed librarius aspirants (40k)
- Lord of Virulence (40k)
- 2 Bloat Drones (40k)

Finished works:

- 4 Lightning fighters (AI / Epic)
- 2 Thanatars (Epic)
- 1 Vulturax (Epic)
- 10 squads of technothralls (Epic)
- 4 squads of Thallaxii (Epic)
- 7 groups of techpriests (Epic)
- Flagellum Dei, Reaver (Titanicus)
- Delictor Profectuum, Warlord (Titanicus)

- Captain-Commander Erasmus (40k)
- 4 Deathshrouds (40k)
- 18 Terminators (40k)
- Fourth Horseman, Falchion superheavy (40k)
- 10 Terminators, repaint (40k)
- 20 Tacticals, repaint (40k)
- 2 Contemptor Dreadnoughts, repaint (40k)
- Primus Medicae, repaint (40k)
- Plaguecaster (40k)
- Possessed librarius aspirant (40k)

- 8 technobarbarians (Kill Team)

- Royal Guard of Alahan (Confrontation)

Finished models: 98, more than I'd have thought if not exactly large numbers in these circles.

So I got another Epic army (Mechanicum) in working order, brought the older elements of the Echoes up to current standards while adding too many terminators in their ranks (again...), started an Instagram account (@sherrypiexiv) and expanded into Kill Team with a drive into Unification Wars territory that is bound to continue in 2022 with a handful of other such teams as well. At least some Thunder Legion troops with warriors and Null-Maidens, inbred hillbilly cannibals and some robotic monstrosities are already bubbling in my mind, so who knows how that'll shape up!

...so close to a hundred... maybe there is still time to paint a couple of things...

1126591_sm-.jpg

Edited by Sherrypie

Gee, fine, I had to paint a couple more to bring the tally into a nice and round 100 :D

Testing out some light OSL work and shading flesh purple with a couple more failed librarius aspirants. I think the purple offers some real nice avenues to get better at, especially with such tortured and beat up flesh.

1126722_sm-.jpg
1126723_sm-.jpg
1126724_sm-.jpg
1126725_sm-.jpg
1126726_sm-.jpg

1126727_sm-.jpg
1126728_sm-.jpg
1126729_sm-.jpg
1126730_sm-.jpg
1126731_sm-.jpg

• 1 month later...