Emperor's Children - 2000 Points: The Maru Skara

JDizzle

After much deliberation creating a loyalist 2k Maru Skara list, I've come up with the following so that someone else can tear it apart  :ermm: 

Praetor - 205 Points

1x Praetor (MC Paragon Blade, Melta Bombs; Digital Lasers; Artificer Armour; Iron Halo; Jump Pack)

Champion - 150 Points

1x Champion (MC Paragon Blade; Melta Bombs; Artificer Armour; Refractor Field; Jump Pack)

Apothecarion Detachment - 140 Points

1x Apothecary (Power Sword; Jump Pack)

Assault Marines - 370 Points

15x Assault Marines (3x Power Swords; Melta Bombs)

- Sergeant (Phoenix Power Spear; Melta Bombs; Artificer Armour)

Assault Marines - 370 Points

Seekers - 315 Points

10x Seekers (Combi-Plasmas)

- Sergeant (Combi-Plasma; Melta Bombs; Artificer Armour)

Rhino - 40 Points

1x Rhino (Dozer Blade)

Sicaran Battle Tank - 205 Points

1x Sicaran (Lascannons)

Sicaran Battle Tank - 205 Points

1x Sicaran (Lascannons)

Initial deployment would comprise the two large assault squads (each with an apothecary and one of the two HQs) and the two Sicarans. The seekers would then arrive in the Hidden Blade turn 2. Wanted to form a list with a core of assault marines, but still have at least 3 scoring units. Also didn't want to put too much in the Hidden Blade at 2k. I could swap one of the Sicarans out for a Contemptor or similar but not sure. if I had more points I would've considered a Divining Blade for the Praetor or a Multi-Melta for the Rhino.

So what does everyone else think?

I like it.

Points on the Seekers are off by 5 I believe, probably forgot to figure in the Melta Bombs ?

I'd potentially drop the Power Swords on your Apothecaries to account for that and get some Dozer Blades on the Sicarans.

Have you considered swapping the swords on the Assault Squads for Power Axes, at least partially ? A little AP 2 goes a long way ...

Finally, since your investing big time in your Praetor, have you considered to get a Divining Blade instead of the MC Paragon Blade ?

Oops, I think I did forget the melta bombs - good eye!

I kinda wanted the swords to make the most of the EC initiative bonus, but also they feel more fitting with the 3rd. Would also want to keep them on the apothecaries for the same reason.

I did have the Divining Blade in the list at first, but had to drop it to save points.

I think that you may want to put a powerfist on one of your assault squads in case the opponent has a dreadnaught or leviathan that way you can place this unit closest to it of the two squads. I’ve had a large assault squad tied up for ages slowing getting pounded to death by only having a meltabomb to work with.

In those assault squads you have 4 power swords (incl Apoc) plus your phoenixspear. I would instead take 2 axes as you have enough Int5 attacks and the axes are great for kills (esp against termites).

I wouldn’t worry about dozerblades on your sicarians as they have the movement to get around terrain without having to go through it due to them being “Fast”.

You may also struggle with objective holding missions as holding a baseline objective with an expensive assault squad will leave you underpowered going up against the rest of the opponents army.

Agree with the above comment that only one MS squad doesn’t really make the point cost worth it. You may be better of with a Chaplin to make one of those assaultsquads hit hard.

I think in your list that the sicarians are better than a contemptor although you could take this as an extra MS unit.

I think that you may want to put a powerfist on one of your assault squads in case the opponent has a dreadnaught or leviathan that way you can place this unit closest to it of the two squads. I’ve had a large assault squad tied up for ages slowing getting pounded to death by only having a meltabomb to work with.

In those assault squads you have 4 power swords (incl Apoc) plus your phoenixspear. I would instead take 2 axes as you have enough Int5 attacks and the axes are great for kills (esp against termites).

I wouldn’t worry about dozerblades on your sicarians as they have the movement to get around terrain without having to go through it due to them being “Fast”.

You may also struggle with objective holding missions as holding a baseline objective with an expensive assault squad will leave you underpowered going up against the rest of the opponents army.

Agree with the above comment that only one MS squad doesn’t really make the point cost worth it. You may be better of with a Chaplin to make one of those assaultsquads hit hard.

I think in your list that the sicarians are better than a contemptor although you could take this as an extra MS unit.

The assault squads are fully equipped with melta bombs, so I don't think the power fist is necessary.

Sounds like maybe I should swap the Champion for a Chaplain, and take the Orphans of Betrayal RoW instead?

Okay, updated list time:

Praetor – 215 Points

1x Praetor (Divining Blade; Artificer Armour; Digital Lasers; Iron Halo; Jump Pack)

Rite of War: Orphans of Betrayal

Chaplain – 125 Points

1x Chaplain (Crozius Arcanum; Artificer Armour; Refractor Field; Jump Pack)

Apothecarion Detachment – 140 Points

Assault Marines – 370 Points

Assault Marines – 370 Points

Seekers – 330 Points

10x Seekers (Combi-Plasmas)

- Strike Leader (Combi-Plasma; Power Fist; Artificer Armour)

Rhino – 40 Points

1x Rhino (Dozer Blade)

Sicaran Battle Tank – 205 Points

1x Sicaran Battle Tank (Twin-Linked Accelerator Autocannon; Lascannons)

Sicaran Battle Tank – 205 Points

1x Sicaran Battle Tank (Twin-Linked Accelerator Autocannon; Lascannons)

- Champion replaced with a Chaplain (so now running Orphans of Betrayal)

- Gave Praetor a Divining Blade

- Dropped Melta Bombs on both HQs (since assault marines have loads anyway)

- Spare 10 points used to change the strike leader's melta bombs for a power fist