(Daemonic) God Tier Abaddon: an Everchosen entry

N1SB

Hope your Everchosen contests are going well. Here was an entry at our Warhammer Store (in Hong Kong, what I jokingly call the older brother to the famous 500th Store). NOT MINE, but I hope you see why I'm posting it here:

gallery_57329_13636_164108.jpg

So at 1st, ok, beautiful highlights and shading, non-metallic metal. Then we looked at his cape and loincloth and noticed he freehand painted those designs. And then...we looked at the back of the model, and I apologise for my hand shaking as I took this photo:

gallery_57329_13636_118164.jpg

The centre depicts, we believe, the bridge of his/Horus's flagship, The Vengeful Spirit. Beyond the technical virtuosity of this painting, it's just this idea like he teleported directly from there and the little tear in the space-time continuum persisted as he exited, and you see a rippling image of where he came from, depicted on his wavering cape.

Here's the best part of the story: the painter is a mystery to us.

Perhaps your Warhammer Store/FLGS experience is similar to ours...you pretty much "know" everyone. Even if you don't remember their 1st names, you recognise the guys, "oh yeah, him, with the face and the neckbeard." We don't know this dude, word is he was just some random who dropped off the mini, then walked away.

Being in Hong Kong, we have nicknamed him "Akuma", like the Street Fighter character. Because he just appears and destroys the final boss, the Raging Daemon of Hong Kong.

Edited by N1SB

The cape is awesome, but the rest looks kinda boring. Not a fan of those gradients on the armour.

Also, this is quite a bit of interpretation lol

The centre depicts, we believe, the bridge of his/Horus's flagship, The Vengeful Spirit.  Beyond the technical virtuosity of this painting, it's just this idea like he teleported directly from there and the little tear in the space-time continuum persisted as he exited, and you see a rippling image of where he came from, depicted on his wavering cape.

The cape is awesome, but the rest looks kinda boring. Not a fan of those gradients on the armour.

The face is too tonally close to the armour. The gradients have a great pencil sketch effect but that has lead to a sacrifice in tonal contrast.

The face is too tonally close to the armour. The gradients have a great pencil sketch effect but that has lead to a sacrifice in tonal contrast.

Exactly!

If you save a copy of the pic and run a black and white filter over it, the whole thing looks the same shade of light grey. Shame really, it could have been a true masterpiece, at the moment it's merely incredible and awesome.

Edited by Interrogator Stobz