Which rules for Minotaurs Chapter?

Charlo

Very silly question but do the Minotaurs need to use a codex chapter tactic (or I suppose now crimson fists, Spears of the emperor, blood ravens etc) or could they use a different codex?

I imagine not but I swear I read something online.

Anyone got experience of Minotaurs in 8th Ed?

In 5E, 6E, and 7E, vanilla codex only. In 8E as per FW's FAQ, you can technically use BA/DA/SW if you want to. It's weird, but the FAQ technically allows all unknown lineage successors in 8E to use non-vanilla codexes even if you know for a fact they aren't BA/DA/SW successors.

In 5E, 6E, and 7E, vanilla codex only. In 8E as per FW's FAQ, you can technically use BA/DA/SW if you want to. It's weird, but the FAQ technically allows all unknown lineage successors in 8E to use non-vanilla codexes even if you know for a fact they aren't BA/DA/SW successors.

Interesting. Do you know what part of the FAQ this is?

I'm looking at the Forces of the Adeptus Astartes one and it only says:

FAQs

Q: Are there any restrictions on which Chapter I can choose when replacing the <Chapter> Faction keyword on datasheets within this book?
A: Yes. You cannot choose for any of these units to be from the Legion of the Damned or Grey Knights Chapters. They can be from any other Chapter though, including Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Deathwatch.

However for example the Minotaurs characters already have the MINOTAURS key word, so would you be able to use them with BA rules?

That's the one. Because no 8E rules state that the Minotaurs belong only to Codex: Space Marines unlike in 7E where it literally said they had to come from Codex: Space Marines, by RAW, one would apply this FAQ, which asks "what are my restrictions when deciding to replace <Chapter> with MINOTAURS?", and the answer is "any chapter and codex, except Legion of the Damned and Grey Knights."

RAI I personally believe this may be an oversight by FW and that the Minotaurs are very obviously locked into Codex: Space Marines. But I am not FW, perhaps they felt Minotaurs would best be represented by BA or SW in 8E, nobody can say other than FW themselves.

For comparison, here is what the 7E rules for Minotaurs say:

The following presents Chapter Tactics for a selection of Space Marine Chapters covered in Imperial Armour books who either have no clear progenitor from amongst those listed in Codex: Space Marines, or operate in a manner that bears little similarity to their ancient forebears. These rules are presented in the same format as those in Codex: Space Marines, and any Chapter designated as having a given Chapter Tactic gains all the Chapter Tactics special rules listed for that Chapter.

Note also here is what the 7E rules for Lamenters say, who should use Codex: Blood Angels:

A Lamenters army is selected using the rules presented in Codex: Blood Angels.

Because none of these rules exist in 8E, we can't say that Minotaurs is limited to Codex: Space Marines anymore.