Imperial Knights questions

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but there seemed to be a lot of IK lists here.

I'm interested in playing pure knights because it seems really fun. With the castellan point increase and with how not great the helverins are viewed, how worthwhile is the apocalypse box that has both?

If I'm not playing FW knights because I'm a poor college student, which GW knights are good for their money and which aren't?

Can you magnetize knights?

Are armigers worth taking because I really like their looks?

Thanks for the assistance!

The best class of knights are the crusader followed by the gallant, both being GW models.

FW has the prettier models but competative wise as it stands GW is supreme. They are super easy to magnetise, just get yourself some 7 or 8mm width 3mm thick disk magnets and the same sise drill bit.

It's a 3 minute job.

You can magnetise the guns as well as I did with my new chaos knight last night.

mn0wbdw.jpg

And I like armigers - I play pure knights myself, the trials and tribulations of which you can see in my blog on here.

The new Moirax are gonna be massive for pure knights I reckon.

The Castellan is still powerful if you run House Raven and Cawls Wrath, the combo that got it hiked. Otherwise it's good but but expensive. I use Taranis rules myself and I haven't used it since the increase. I've been considering it again lately after facing off against one and it doing 12 damage with Cawls Wrath alone.

Helverins are good as well. With the volume of shots and flat 3 damage they can threaten a lot.

The box gives you the Helverins for free, it's a pretty great deal.

Hawkshroud is definitely the most forgiving and can really mess with your opponents head space, as they need to get a regular knight down to 5-6 wounds (don't have the book in front of me so I can't remember which it is) to actually bracket it. Makes opponents feel bad as they could spend a whole turn shooting at a knight for it to still function fully, and even then you only get to bottom bracket at 3 wounds. 

The hawkshroud strat becomes really mean with a valiant (auto hitting flamer heck yeah), but is also terrifying with the castellan. Most people are probably charging the castellan anyways. But if they can't quite get to him, can be really mean all it takes is one 6. 

The Apoc box is  wicked deal if you are starting knights for sure, if you can get your hands on one. 

The Castellan is still powerful if you run House Raven and Cawls Wrath, the combo that got it hiked. Otherwise it's good but but expensive. I use Taranis rules myself and I haven't used it since the increase. I've been considering it again lately after facing off against one and it doing 12 damage with Cawls Wrath alone.

A Krast Castellan with first knight and headmans mark can do really nasty things to vehicles. I’m a big fan!

3/4 damage plasma, 3d3+1/2 Lance, D3+1/2 siege breakers, d6+1/2 missiles. Yea it gets pretty gross lol

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of creating a new thread, I figured I would just post more questions here.

With the new Moraixes, is the Preceptor worth taking with them?

Is the Preceptor worth it at all?

Are carapace weapons in an all knight list necessary or kind of just a nice thing to have?

Which carapace weapons are worth bringing if they're good?

What's the general opinion on Sacristan Forge?

Edited by BaronBanana

As for carapace, I find the 16-pt missiles very useful: reasonably priced, fill a gap in the arsenal (indirect fire), and with a good profile. I always take them if I can.

The other two weapons are generally overpriced and/or waste of points.

Sacristan Forge is complete urmm (a very situational) tool. The best thing you can do with it is try to get a longer charge out of it but we have so many stratagems to get our knights into the fray its sub-par. The healing wont help and the weapon over power is not worth the turn you loose shooting.

Summarise it looks nice but never bring it.

Carapace weapons are what you bring if you have the extra points, which you should have a few left over. The indirect fire is nice like Feral_80 said but take whatever missle you think you will need. Do not bother with the autocannon and if you have some Helverins there's a stratagem for flyers.

Preceptor weapons are a little crap compared to the normal variants with it being too watered down at both ends for the re-rolls. Most armies take the bigger Knights first so there is usually not enough Mini Knights in the group for the buff to really shine.

Edited by Black_Knight

The Las impulsor is str 12. With the Knights that are toughness 9 and with chaos getting +1T deamon stuff I'm feeling better about the Preceptor. In still looking for more T6 targets to double up but with time I think the Preceptor will shows its worth.

I really want the Preceptor to be good, but I think it's fun is too much of a liability after talking with a good number of people.

Thanks for all the advice y'all. I'll probably be slapping turrets on everything because they look cool, at the very least. If I have more questions, I'll be sure to post them here, y'all been helping a lot

Edited by BaronBanana

We'd love to see a WIP of your Knightly Court coming together, too!  I find it bolsters my hobby participation immensely and can provide a great route for feedback and suggestions.  And sometimes just some good karma from the Frater! :)

I always try to have at least a couple knights with the iron worm missile pod, it’s great for popping some fire on those backfield objective campers and for 16 points they are a steal!

Preceptors aren’t really worth it, thematically very cool but are to expensive to baby sit helverins and aren’t really good enough for front line duty.

The sacristan forge is hardly ever seen and it basically puts a target on the knight that’s in it. Who wants to face a super charged crusader or Castellan coming out of one on turn two?