Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Goonhammer Updates Thread

Blog tactics painting tips tutorials

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 96 posts
  • Faction: Swords Of Davion

G'day! 

I'm a writer for Goonhammer and I think we have a lot of content people on B&C would like. This thread will be kept up to date with our content as we go. If you have questions or stuff you want to see, please post here and we'll get right too it! 

Space Marine Codex Release Extravaganza Content!

Codex Space Marines – The Goonhammer Review – Part 1 (Army & Faction Traits)

Codex Space Marines – The Goonhammer Review – Part 2 (Units)

J4Dce2e.png?1

How To Paint Everything: Successor Chapters Of Goonhammer

OluzwZ6.png

This week's How to Paint Everything is all about Space Marines! Coda (of Cool and Good fame) is talking about Successor Chapters, with sweet paint schemes and tips for painting 6 chapters of the Emperor's *other* finest.

daviongroup.png

These are my dudes. In this army showcase I talk a bit about getting back into the hobby as a mindfulness tool to combat anxiety and depression. Also there is a ton of cool photos and some badly written lore and stories about my marines. 

How To Paint Everything: White Scars

Jack "Booley" Hunter collects and dishes out some kicking rad ways to paint White Scars.

Check back over the next few days for more. This is going to be a barnstorm of the best wordy words we can muster and great photos/drawings. 

Here's some examples of our Astartes focused content:

Easy-ish Contrast Based Emperor's Spears: Bonus rant about colour schemes and test models. 

Repulsor Executioner Points Increase – The Goonhammer Hot Take

Jack's insanely nice Imperial Fists. Seriously they are among the best on the internet imho.

Army Showcase: TheChirurgeon’s Night Lords

Mathematical Musings – Repulsor Executioner Review/Analysis (Part 1)

How To Paint Everything: Ultramarines

How To Paint Everything: Imperial Fists 

How To Paint Everything: Dark Angels w/ bonus Instar, Vallejo, Citadel and Contrast Review. 

Blood Ravens Review And Tactica. 

Chaos Space Marines and Vigilus Ablaze Review – Part 1 (Units)

Chaos Space Marines and Vigilus Ablaze Review – Part 2 (Army Options)

We also have great getting started articles and even better art work!

Start Competing: Adeptus Mechanicus Tactics

XP5Qg2T.jpg?1

We also dabble in some slightly oddball stuff, like when I tracked down a new in box copy of the very first Space Marines I brought 20 years prior and painted it as a celebration of two decades in the hobby. 

Part 0 - Intro, turns out I couldn't paint when I was a 10 year old.
Part 1 - 1998 Space Marines Combat Squad Review.
Part 2 - 20 years of painting progress. 2018 vs 1998

Anyway like I said above, if you have any kind of content you want to see or questions about what we have done so far, please let us know!

Edited by Chiwie, 22 September 2019 - 11:24 AM.

• Sandlemad, Huggtand, Yvonmukluk and 6 others like this

uLIJCPF.png

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,456 posts
Thanks!

Still waiting on that next Fists of Fury article :D Also really appreciated the in-depth analysis of the Repulsor Executioner.

The only feedback I'd provide is that the site is a bit bland visually on mobile, but that has little to do with the quality of the content.

I hope to see much more from you guys!
  • Chiwie likes this

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 96 posts

Thanks!

Still waiting on that next Fists of Fury article biggrin.png Also really appreciated the in-depth analysis of the Repulsor Executioner.

The only feedback I'd provide is that the site is a bit bland visually on mobile, but that has little to do with the quality of the content.

Thanks mate, I'll pass that onto Ellar, he will be over the moon to hear it. :D 

Ditto the comment about our mobile experience, there are couple of rough edges for the guys to figure out there. 

Speaking of new content, this just went live:

Easy-ish Contrast Based Emperor's Spears: Bonus rant about colour schemes and test models. 

• Yvonmukluk and Lemondish like this

uLIJCPF.png

Shadowseer

Shadowseer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 73 posts
  • Faction: Eldar
Thanks for doing this! I really liked your tactics articles, and would love to see more 😁
  • Chiwie likes this

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 488 posts
Love the CSM review articles!
  • Chiwie likes this

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,282 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)
I was a little disappointed by the paint everything links, but that's on me because I was expecting a guide to painting every unit available in each army, or at least infantry, special infantry (terminators etc) walkers and vehicles.
  • Chiwie and coabeous like this

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Ancient Glory

Ancient Glory

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 25 posts

Thanks!

Still waiting on that next Fists of Fury article biggrin.png Also really appreciated the in-depth analysis of the Repulsor Executioner.

The next Fists of Fury is on the way and will include one of my Crimson Fists (the army I've been playing since I restarted the hobby in 5th!) but Alfredo is in crunch time for his NoVA prep with some dastardly space elves, so the Fists are on the back burner now. I'm looking forward to it as much as you are!

I was a little disappointed by the paint everything links, but that's on me because I was expecting a guide to painting every unit available in each army, or at least infantry, special infantry (terminators etc) walkers and vehicles.

That's a cool idea, and we could expand the series to include talking about applying the techniques to other models. Thanks!

• Chiwie and Lemondish like this

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 96 posts

That's actually not a bad idea. We could aim for that long term, right now we are doing this totally out of our own free time/pockets.

• Lemondish likes this

uLIJCPF.png

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,456 posts

That's actually not a bad idea. We could aim for that long term, right now we are doing this totally out of our own free time/pockets.

Very much appreciate the dedication!
  • Chiwie likes this

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,754 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
I thoroughly enjoyed the Spears article.
  • Chiwie likes this
The world would be a better place if people stopped complaining about Primaris Space Marines.
=][=
my 40k blog:https://greenblowfly.../alan-seds.html - Terminus Est - Space Marines 247=][=
wc.jpg
Blood and Honor!
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Mary_Sue Mary Sue and Plot Armor are terms used by losers

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 96 posts

Very much appreciate the dedication!

Many thanks! It's a labour of love that's for sure.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Spears article.

Thank you! It was a joy to write about something that awesome.

uLIJCPF.png

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,646 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
I've really enjoyed the goonhammer articles, especially the unit analysis. Keep it up guys!
  • Chiwie and Black Blow Fly like this

-~Ishagu~-

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,456 posts
Oh no - mere days after posting, GW ruins not just the Executioner as a viable unit but all the work you did on that article!
  • Chiwie likes this

Ancient Glory

Ancient Glory

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 25 posts

Oh no - mere days after posting, GW ruins not just the Executioner as a viable unit but all the work you did on that article!

Happily that means there'll be an article tomorrow reflecting on the changes!

• Chiwie likes this

El_Dicko

El_Dicko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 372 posts
  • Faction: Chaos Space Marines and Demons
Really enjoyed the “your legion sucks” articles actually lol
  • Chiwie and Ancient Glory like this

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 96 posts

Updates for the updates god!
Posts for the post throne!

Noted excellent cartoonist and nice person (please draw me something) The Chirurgeon has continued his Road to Nova posting. Read along to see panic set in as he realises he only has one month to get his chaos army finished.

Jonathan “Crion” Bernhardt spills the beans on Warhammer 40,000 Mechanicus and it's new expansion Heretek. 

Dan, aka From The Shire, much like Chuir, panics during his Road to Nova update. Click for the cool pictures of his Guard/Blood Angel army, stay for the raw panic. 

I've really enjoyed the goonhammer articles, especially the unit analysis. Keep it up guys!

Thanks mate, I'll pass it onto the team! Is there anything you would like us to take a look at?

That will teach Ellar that he should totally procrastinate to avoid this in the future. tongue.png

Real talk I think he is already doing an update to cover that plus the deathwatch version. 

Happily that means there'll be an article tomorrow reflecting on the changes!

I was wondering why the discord had lit up like a christmas tree.

Really enjoyed the “your legion sucks” articles actually lol

Thanks, those two have an excellent way of writing up conversational humour.

Edited by Chiwie, 31 July 2019 - 12:33 AM.

uLIJCPF.png

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,646 posts
@Chiwie

I'm perfectly happy if you guys keep focusing on new units that are released. I think you'll have your hands full with the new Primaris releases coming soon anyways.

-~Ishagu~-

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 96 posts

@Chiwie

I'm perfectly happy if you guys keep focusing on new units that are released. I think you'll have your hands full with the new Primaris releases coming soon anyways.

No dramas! 

Speaking of drama though, the boys have been quick on this one:

• Ishagu, Lemondish and Ancient Glory like this

uLIJCPF.png

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,456 posts

@Chiwie

No dramas!

Traveling today and this is exactly the type of stuff I want to read at an airport bar, thousands of kilometers from my hobby supplies. Helps me feel connected still lol

So, cheers!
  • Chiwie likes this

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,646 posts

@Chiwie

No dramas!

Lol I enjoyed this. I bought a single Executioner and have used it two games - found it to be a good unit. I was tempted to get a second but I'll hold off until we see what happens in the codex.

Edited by Ishagu, 31 July 2019 - 03:53 PM.

• Chiwie likes this

-~Ishagu~-

ThatOneMarshal

ThatOneMarshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,181 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars and Night lords
I caught your guys repulsor review earlier. I have to say I absolutely love your guys mix of competitive talk with casual. Sometimes it feels dizzying having to learn stuff about competitive armies, your guys article was fun read that was easy to read, all while being informative!
  • Chiwie likes this

Terran_zps971683eb.pngETL_2014_Banner_V2_03A_Custos_Fidei.jpg  

Ancient Glory

Ancient Glory

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 25 posts

Two articles up today.

One which will be of keen interest on this site, I suspect - Jack's Imperial Fists army showcase, featuring some truly amazing looking models: https://www.goonhamm...imperial-fists/

Also, a spin on our Dadhammer series, Unclehammer - wherein immanentized discusses the best ways to introduce young gamers to the hobby: https://www.goonhamm...ext-generation/ Really helpful if you're a parent or relative trying to figure out how to get the kids in your life interested in our little hobby!

• Chiwie and Lemondish like this

derLumpi

derLumpi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 651 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines, Imperial Knights
I loved your Druhkari codex review. Keep it up! :-)
Damnation starts with little steps, by arrogantly thinking that you are wiser than our great forbears, by tinkering with truth, by compromising, by departing from the straight and narrow path of the Emperor’s light.

Ancient Glory

Ancient Glory

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 25 posts

I loved your Druhkari codex review. Keep it up! :-)

Thanks! I wrote that one, so I'm extra pleased when we get good reviews haha. Tomorrow will look in the other direction at the Craftworlders, then next week is Astra Militarum - we will eventually go through everything!

• Chiwie likes this

derLumpi

derLumpi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 651 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines, Imperial Knights
Your review differs a lot from most of the reviews one can find on the web. I really enjoyed it.
Damnation starts with little steps, by arrogantly thinking that you are wiser than our great forbears, by tinkering with truth, by compromising, by departing from the straight and narrow path of the Emperor’s light.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blog, tactics, painting tips, tutorials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users