Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Goonhammer Updates Thread

Blog tactics painting tips tutorials

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,818 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
Oh boy, here I go commenting on the heresy article again.

The first thing is pretty important; as of malevolence, all traitors can take daemon allies as they're agents of the warmaster. This undercuts a lot of the word wearer's benefits from characters and rites of war, but also puts them in a fairly unique position (more on that later).

Next, the legion trait. It seems pretty plain, if useful, but it sets the foundation for the word bearers to be assault focussed. Between compulsory chaplains, diabolists handing out melee bonuses, biomancy everywhere, zardu's combat res bonuses, lorgar's combat res bonuses and some of the most premiumly priced melee special units you'll rock the combat phase. It's just not obvious like say world eaters.

Quick mention that tainted weapons grant +1 attack when paired with a fist, which a lot of other legions can't replicate.

So remember that unique position I mentioned? Well, since daemons are now both a standalone thing and an ally across all traitors, the word bearers can capitalize like no others. By murdering them!

First up, dark chanelling forces all enemy perils of the warp test-based wounds to cause instant death. Daemons roll on their perils chart whenever they fail a leadership roll, most of which inflict d3 wounds. They really don't like their multi-wound, high toughness models to just explode due to instant death. Murder rating: Great at murdering daemons.

Next is the Mara gal, and you're going to point it towards the multi-model units. The first reason is pretty simple; the big stuff tends to surpass T7 and will be able to hit it on full weapon skill, but it's really because you're going to to bully those units in conjunction with dark chanelling. The warpfire plasma cannon is able to wound lesser daemons, beasts and cavalry and 2s turn one (even shrikes and brutes on 3s) and as long as you kill one model you force a morale test at -1. Another thing about those big units, the Accursed special rule hits each model in its range, so any blob of lesser daemons or even beasts in later turns are going to rack up some wounds. Finally, it's melee weapon sits at strength 10 (let's you instant death a good amount of their units) and forces rerolls on their invul saves. Caveat that it's WS 6, not 7 like the article mentions. Murder rating: also great at murdering daemons.

Anakatis Kul Blade Slaves. And yes we're still talking about murdering daemons. Right off the bat, there's really no shooting threat in a daemon list, which alleviates the main weakness of the unit. These guys have some notable advantages over the average daemon units in their weapon skill and initiative of 5 and strength of 6; they strike first, hit on 3s and can challenge shrikes and greater daemons during the first two turns. Their blades also aren't going to get blocked by artificer and the double wound mechanic can help rack up the wound count on both monsters and blobs, helping with that dark chanelling morale check. The benefit from rage and zardu's zealot also can really add up and help fish for those 5+. Sadly, they wont be benefiting from cursed earth as it will benefit the opponent too. Murder rating: good at murdering daemons.
  • Chiwie likes this

LordTwisted

LordTwisted

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts

Oh boy, here I go commenting on the heresy article again.

The first thing is pretty important; as of malevolence, all traitors can take daemon allies as they're agents of the warmaster. This undercuts a lot of the word wearer's benefits from characters and rites of war, but also puts them in a fairly unique position (more on that later).

Next, the legion trait. It seems pretty plain, if useful, but it sets the foundation for the word bearers to be assault focussed. Between compulsory chaplains, diabolists handing out melee bonuses, biomancy everywhere, zardu's combat res bonuses, lorgar's combat res bonuses and some of the most premiumly priced melee special units you'll rock the combat phase. It's just not obvious like say world eaters.

Quick mention that tainted weapons grant +1 attack when paired with a fist, which a lot of other legions can't replicate.

So remember that unique position I mentioned? Well, since daemons are now both a standalone thing and an ally across all traitors, the word bearers can capitalize like no others. By murdering them!

First up, dark chanelling forces all enemy perils of the warp test-based wounds to cause instant death. Daemons roll on their perils chart whenever they fail a leadership roll, most of which inflict d3 wounds. They really don't like their multi-wound, high toughness models to just explode due to instant death. Murder rating: Great at murdering daemons.

Next is the Mara gal, and you're going to point it towards the multi-model units. The first reason is pretty simple; the big stuff tends to surpass T7 and will be able to hit it on full weapon skill, but it's really because you're going to to bully those units in conjunction with dark chanelling. The warpfire plasma cannon is able to wound lesser daemons, beasts and cavalry and 2s turn one (even shrikes and brutes on 3s) and as long as you kill one model you force a morale test at -1. Another thing about those big units, the Accursed special rule hits each model in its range, so any blob of lesser daemons or even beasts in later turns are going to rack up some wounds. Finally, it's melee weapon sits at strength 10 (let's you instant death a good amount of their units) and forces rerolls on their invul saves. Caveat that it's WS 6, not 7 like the article mentions. Murder rating: also great at murdering daemons.

Anakatis Kul Blade Slaves. And yes we're still talking about murdering daemons. Right off the bat, there's really no shooting threat in a daemon list, which alleviates the main weakness of the unit. These guys have some notable advantages over the average daemon units in their weapon skill and initiative of 5 and strength of 6; they strike first, hit on 3s and can challenge shrikes and greater daemons during the first two turns. Their blades also aren't going to get blocked by artificer and the double wound mechanic can help rack up the wound count on both monsters and blobs, helping with that dark chanelling morale check. The benefit from rage and zardu's zealot also can really add up and help fish for those 5+. Sadly, they wont be benefiting from cursed earth as it will benefit the opponent too. Murder rating: good at murdering daemons.

Whats up mate - dug out the old BAC login to address your posts! Thanks for reading and commenting.

I do agree with you to some extent - and I'll admit I hadn't twigged that Malevolence had changed the rules for Ruinstorm Daemons (that book is still quite "new" to me). 

However, while I think that Word Bearers are very good at killing Daemons, usually the formats I see Heresy played in its Traitor v Loyalist - and the Ruinstorm Daemons are invariably on the Traitor side, so the match up you're describing is not something I've experienced! That might be something I need to ask the Word Bearers players I know about.

Next up is the Ultramarines - I'm keen to see your view on my article when it comes out hopefully this week.

• Chiwie, Son of Carnelian and SkimaskMohawk like this

Shadowseer

Shadowseer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 92 posts
  • Faction: Eldar
Dear Goonhammer authors, I was wondering if you could add a dark mode to the site? 😊
  • Chiwie likes this

Marshal Vespasian

Marshal Vespasian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,378 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
So twisted, looking AT your Avatar. When are you going to Do the IF article? Having started heresy fists I am hella interested in that.
  • Chiwie likes this

uqpKirY.jpgsml_gallery_48988_16053_22483.png

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 120 posts
  • Faction: Swords Of Davion

The Goonhammer Open – Coming to a Country Near You!

nq7OJks.png?1

If you’re in the UK or the US, we have exciting news for you – the Goonhammer Open is coming!

We’re starting our first events as tournaments for Warhammer 40,000, though if these go well we’ll be looking at running future events with more game systems. Click to find out more!

Psychic Awakening: The Greater Good Review – The T’au Empire

Psychic Awakening: The Greater Good Review – Astra Militarum/Imperial Guard

Psychic Awakening: The Greater Good Review – Genestealer Cults

We have a quick look at the new PA book. Spoilers for the Tau players, you're going to be happy as hell with this update.

Start Competing: Grey Knights Tactics

oy8uQYN.png?1

Shane, Wings and Corrode take a look at the Grey Knights, fresh off their PA4 buffs.

Book Review: Spear of the Emperor by Aaron Dembski-Bowden

SKAVAKH UHL ZARUN! Corrode does an amazing book review, which I then use as a springboard for a deep dive into this beautiful book. 

Hammer of Math: Calculated Martyrdom

M2CM7iv.png?1

Beer shows the math behind the Iron Hand dominance at LVO. A must read for the competitive player.

Necromunday: Updated Tactics

IrsLD8w.png?1

Dan and Merton update their Tactics Cards guide. 

The Horus Heresy – Legion Overview – The Blood Angels

BNrWZ8r.png?1

LordTwisted looks at heresy era Blood Angels.

Adeptus Titanicus – Shadow & Iron Review

cI29FPR.png?1

Condit and Soggy team up to look at Shadow and Iron, detailing out the new Maniples and Psi Titans.

How to Paint Everything: Checks, Hazard Stripes, Zig-Zags, and Other Heraldic Details

A must read. Some really good techniques are detailed out here. If you play Orks or Iron Warriors you need to click this link asap. 

The 40K Hamateur Hour’s Road to Adepticon: Week 1

JD’s Road to Adepticon, Part 1

Q91yk7y.png?1

FromTheShire and JD talks up their plans for Adepticon.

An Interview with The Hobby Room Host and ex-WHTV Host Ceri Robson

l1kHDFC.png?1

We sit down with Ceri to talk about the hobby, streaming, The Hobby Room and WHTV. 

An Interview with the LVO Judges

Ca7X6Dk.png?1

We sit down with the organisers and judges from the 2020 LVO to get their thoughts on what worked, and didn't at the 2020 event. 

Goonhammer Hobby Roundup: January 2020

The team talks about their hobby progress in Jan 2020. This link is full of awesome, awesome models.

Edited by Chiwie, 09 February 2020 - 04:30 AM.

• Black Blow Fly likes this

uLIJCPF.png

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,663 posts

Looks good. Just one quick question:

When's the "How to Build Everything: Reaver" article coming out? msn-wink.gif

Edited by Gederas, 09 February 2020 - 04:31 AM.

• Chiwie likes this

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 120 posts

Dear Goonhammer authors, I was wondering if you could add a dark mode to the site?

I flicked that one to Greg. I really like Dark Mode so hopefully it comes a thing.

So twisted, looking AT your Avatar. When are you going to Do the IF article? Having started heresy fists I am hella interested in that.

I'll forward that onto him!

Looks good. Just one quick question:

When's the "How to Build Everything: Reaver" article coming out? msn-wink.gif

Also sent ;)

• Marshal Vespasian likes this

uLIJCPF.png

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,818 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
It's horus heresy time again!

Starting from the top;

The inability to go to ground can be pretty important. It means the controlling player really cant make positioning mistakes and expect the fall back of extra (or any cover). That 6+ save has won me games when it clutches out the last model on an objective.

Deathfire is a very useful special rule for carving up eternal warrior units, but it's important to remember that it doesn't make unsaved wounds cause 2. Each successful wound roll results in 2 wounds caused, meaning you roll to save each individually.

Drop Pods and immobile. That really brings me back to...wow 4 years ago when book 6 dropped and Last of the Serrated Sun was dead on arrival. Fortunately in the drop pod FAQ, they removed any reference to immobile as a unit type or rule and rolled the effect into Impact Reactive Doors. So pods are available for contemptors and leviathans in DoR.

Dawnbreakers are a very nice unit, especially if you see play against daemons or mechanicum; wounding toughness 7-8 on 5s is really good, especially since a lot of those units only have 4 wounds. Do watch out for the fact that they lack assault grenades, so they really have a hard time against units in cover.

Angels tears, not much to say that wasn't already said. They're a brutal unit with a lot of flexibility due to their load outs, ratio of attacks and jump packs. Keep in mind that as a 3+ armour save unit that's so threatening, they'll be focussed down incredibly quick. Maybe use them as more of a suicide/distraction unit.

The contractor's deep strike allows it to fill the compulsory slot in fast attack, which is nice for newcomers to blood angels who just bought the forgeworld units.

Sanguinius. First of all, his +1 to I and A is on the first round of combat, regardless of if he charged or not. Out of the two melee weapons, the spear is a better all-rounder choice, as the strength, AP, instant death and bonus wounds on 6s makes it a more versatile weapon. With the spear, you can charge any non-fearless unit and expect it to be gone on average (due to a combination of wounds and bonus combat resolution); even against 10 cataphractii you will wipe them from sweeping advance while, iirc, only suffering 1-2 unsaved wounds for your effort. But, very importantly, this doesn't mean he's the best for fighting those devastating single models. I'm talking daemon lords, leviathans and other primarchs. Sanguinius will be unable to kill any on average off the first round, which is where he becomes an average primarch outside of his weapon skill; lack of hit and run will mean he's stuck fighting these things instead of line breaking, wasting his hefty points. Especially never fight khabanda, as sanguinius will die over the course of the fight. Hes similar in usage to corax, but more dependant on being protected and finishing combat against non-chaf on the first turn of combat.
  • Marshal Loss likes this

LordTwisted

LordTwisted

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9 posts

Starting from the top;

The inability to go to ground can be pretty important. It means the controlling player really cant make positioning mistakes and expect the fall back of extra (or any cover). That 6+ save has won me games when it clutches out the last model on an objective.

Deathfire is a very useful special rule for carving up eternal warrior units, but it's important to remember that it doesn't make unsaved wounds cause 2. Each successful wound roll results in 2 wounds caused, meaning you roll to save each individually.

Drop Pods and immobile. That really brings me back to...wow 4 years ago when book 6 dropped and Last of the Serrated Sun was dead on arrival. Fortunately in the drop pod FAQ, they removed any reference to immobile as a unit type or rule and rolled the effect into Impact Reactive Doors. So pods are available for contemptors and leviathans in DoR.

Dawnbreakers are a very nice unit, especially if you see play against daemons or mechanicum; wounding toughness 7-8 on 5s is really good, especially since a lot of those units only have 4 wounds. Do watch out for the fact that they lack assault grenades, so they really have a hard time against units in cover.

Angels tears, not much to say that wasn't already said. They're a brutal unit with a lot of flexibility due to their load outs, ratio of attacks and jump packs. Keep in mind that as a 3+ armour save unit that's so threatening, they'll be focussed down incredibly quick. Maybe use them as more of a suicide/distraction unit.

The contractor's deep strike allows it to fill the compulsory slot in fast attack, which is nice for newcomers to blood angels who just bought the forgeworld units.

Sanguinius. First of all, his +1 to I and A is on the first round of combat, regardless of if he charged or not. Out of the two melee weapons, the spear is a better all-rounder choice, as the strength, AP, instant death and bonus wounds on 6s makes it a more versatile weapon. With the spear, you can charge any non-fearless unit and expect it to be gone on average (due to a combination of wounds and bonus combat resolution); even against 10 cataphractii you will wipe them from sweeping advance while, iirc, only suffering 1-2 unsaved wounds for your effort. But, very importantly, this doesn't mean he's the best for fighting those devastating single models. I'm talking daemon lords, leviathans and other primarchs. Sanguinius will be unable to kill any on average off the first round, which is where he becomes an average primarch outside of his weapon skill; lack of hit and run will mean he's stuck fighting these things instead of line breaking, wasting his hefty points. Especially never fight khabanda, as sanguinius will die over the course of the fight. Hes similar in usage to corax, but more dependant on being protected and finishing combat against non-chaf on the first turn of combat.

Some great feedback here. I hadn't appreciated the Drop Pod change - I'll tweak that in the article, thanks. 

Next up is Sons of Horus, followed by Dorn's Praetorians...

• Chiwie, Marshal Vespasian and Marcus Arias like this

Marcus Arias

Marcus Arias

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 134 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

Starting from the top;

Some great feedback here. I hadn't appreciated the Drop Pod change - I'll tweak that in the article, thanks. 

Next up is Sons of Horus, followed by Dorn's Praetorians...

Excellent! I will look forward to your SoH insights, very keen to start a SoH army this year.

• Chiwie likes this

sairence

sairence

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 679 posts
Out of curiosity, could you do something fun like take a Psi-Titan with a Knight Household list?
  • Chiwie likes this
gallery_30308_9518_8251.png

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 120 posts

Out of curiosity, could you do something fun like take a Psi-Titan with a Knight Household list?

I got a hold of Condit, here is his reply:

"Rules as written: no, you won't be able to take a Psi-Titan to support a Household Force. It specifically calls out that you can take one Psi-Titan for each maniple in your battlegroup, and Households can't take maniples. Of course, if you're just playing for fun, there's nothing stopping you from having a Warlord-Sinister back up your chosen household list, so long as your opponent's cool with it."

uLIJCPF.png

NatBrannigan

NatBrannigan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,152 posts

Now this is totally unacceptable. The FAQ for Space Marines has been out for nearly a whole hour and there's STILL no 'Hot Take' up? If you make me wait 2 hours I'll be most upset...

Edit: I was joking! How did you get that written up so quickly you time traveling witches!? Where's a Black Templar when you need one...

Edited by NatBrannigan, 27 February 2020 - 03:15 PM.

• Chiwie and Noserenda like this

Chiwie

Chiwie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 120 posts

Now this is totally unacceptable. The FAQ for Space Marines has been out for nearly a whole hour and there's STILL no 'Hot Take' up? If you make me wait 2 hours I'll be most upset...

Edit: I was joking! How did you get that written up so quickly you time traveling witches!? Where's a Black Templar when you need one...

You would not believe the havoc in the goonhammer discord during that write up. We also had the Valerian and Aleya hot take go up that night, then the community article went up 20min later which meant we had to hot take the hot take. 

It was a wild week of hams. 

• NatBrannigan likes this

uLIJCPF.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blog, tactics, painting tips, tutorials

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)