Forge World in Apoc

Frostglaive

We all know that in a regular game of 40k, many FW units tend to be over-costed while under-performing. Not all, but still quite a few. For instance, I have never once seen any of the Space Marine-specific super-heavies on the table (ie. Fellblade, Falchion, Typhon, Thunderhawk, etc.). I know a couple players in my local meta do own them, but their points cost is just way too high for what they do. 

That being said, I have seen the datasheets for a lot of the FW units for Apoc. And stat-wise, they don't seem half-bad. From my limited understanding it looks like just about every unit is worthwhile in some manner or another. I can't say they're balanced for their power levels, mostly because I just don't know. But on paper they look pretty good.

I'm curious, have any of you guys run any of your own FW models yet in an Apoc game? How did they perform compared to their 40k rules? I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences on them.

Yes me! I ran an almost entirely FW custodes footstodes list.

Saggitarum, all three dreads, aquilon, galore.

Dreads still honestly feel underwhelming by a bit but the sword board dread is flipping undying. A 3+ never degrading profile means I will be running as many of those as possible. They stick so hard.

Aquilon feel very terrifying. They with proper support have a massive damage output at a ludicrously high price but damn if they aren't a wrecking ball.

Knights all look amazing fyi. Dakka knight castigator looks amazing btw. Really helps padding our range shooting since the custodes tanks seem a tiny bit lack luster in apoc.

Yes me! I ran an almost entirely FW custodes footstodes list.

Saggitarum, all three dreads, aquilon, galore.

Dreads still honestly feel underwhelming by a bit but the sword board dread is flipping undying. A 3+ never degrading profile means I will be running as many of those as possible. They stick so hard.

Aquilon feel very terrifying. They with proper support have a massive damage output at a ludicrously high price but damn if they aren't a wrecking ball.

Good to know. My buddy plays Custodes and has a bunch of their FW stuff. Now I know to run away screaming like a little girl when he decides to bring that beautiful nonsense lol

Wasn't the baneblade with regular volcano cannon have a better stat card than the Falchion? Also I would definately use the superheavy tanks in 40k if they were at the points listed in the FW index books... 

The Shadowsword has BS 4+ with a Sv 6+ (for Apoc, not regular 40k). Falchion has BS 3+ and a Sv 4+. Same wounds, same Ld, same movement. But the Falchion is more survivable and hits better.

Shadowsword Volcano cannon has 72" range, 4 shots, SAP 7+ SAT 3+, Destroyer rule. Falchion Twin Volcano Cannon has 120" range, 2 shots (that makes no sense btw), SAP 3+ SAT 3+, Destroyer rule.

The better BS and Sv is great for the Falchion, so it's hitting more often and surviving a little longer..... but half the shots, and less guns (because let's face it, we all know anyone bringing a Baneblade chassis will have those extra sponsons for more guns), while still paying more power level..... that kinda stings. A lot. I like that SAP 3+ for the Falchion though. Say you have a more immediate threat than an enemy tank (ex. Terminators that deep struck in, or a squad holding an objective that you need, etc.), those 2 shots at BS 3+, wounding on 3's, and the Destroyer rule... that's gonna delete something.