Unit of the Week: Lord

NTaW

47833310252_ac595e79b1_c.jpg

Welcome to the Necron Unit of the Week Series!

Each week a different unit will be highlighted for discussion until we have amalgamated a full list of our available options and their relevant tactics as 8th edition evolves. We already have a few previous entries but things change as FAQs and Chapter Approved books get released and we playtest new ideas so please feel free to reopen a topic when new options become relevant for discussion.

Please keep in mind this isn't to lament the status of featured units or compare them to others but to try and find their potential for all types of gameplay.

This week’s unit is:

48408121021_fcdb48f3ef_z.jpg

As a loose guide, here are some questions we could answer to help out any who happen upon our metallic corner of the B&C:

• What Code do you prefer?

• What synergies have you found with other units?

• Are there any stratagems that specifically buff this unit?

• Do you build your list around this unit or use it to fill some points?

• What are some of the strengths and weaknesses of this unit?

Now over to you!

I like to Run my Necron Lord with a staff of light and Veil - he's the Transport boss that i don't want to get into a fight unless he has too... 

My Core army now is Mephrit, so i could easily give him the Voltaic Staff if i wanted more punch from him after he veils a large infantry blob into close range to either capture objectives or try to wipe out the last part of a unit...

Cheers, Mithril

That's about it. A lord is a point saving alternative to an overlord and useful mostly for VoDing a nasty surprise into an enemy's flank. He can get you a VP maybe if you fit him with a nasty weapon and use him for that objective where you need to kill a character with a character, but that's hypothetical.

I like to Run my Necron Lord with a staff of light and Veil - he's the Transport boss that i don't want to get into a fight unless he has too... 

My Core army now is Mephrit, so i could easily give him the Voltaic Staff if i wanted more punch from him after he veils a large infantry blob into close range to either capture objectives or try to wipe out the last part of a unit...

Cheers, Mithril

Hate to say it but this doesn't work. The Veil and the Voltaic Staff are both relics so one character can't have both.

I like Lords to hang out with Lychguard, give them all Scythes. With Disruption Field on the Lychguard and rerolling wounds, they're pretty dangerous for vehicles. The Lord gives rerolls and a few extra swings sometimes. That puts the Lychguard at 20 attacks, S8, rerolling wounds. That's pretty impressive, with the possibility of downing a Knight and reliably bringing down pretty much anything else. If you can give them MWBD before they Veil, that averages something like 20 damage to anything T8 without an invulnerable save. Aside from that combo though I rarely use Lords unless I need to save some points.

Cheers, Mithril

Hate to say it but this doesn't work. The Veil and the Voltaic Staff are both relics so one character can't have both.

I like Lords to hang out with Lychguard, give them all Scythes. With Disruption Field on the Lychguard and rerolling wounds, they're pretty dangerous for vehicles. The Lord gives rerolls and a few extra swings sometimes. That puts the Lychguard at 20 attacks, S8, rerolling wounds. That's pretty impressive, with the possibility of downing a Knight and reliably bringing down pretty much anything else. If you can give them MWBD before they Veil, that averages something like 20 damage to anything T8 without an invulnerable save. Aside from that combo though I rarely use Lords unless I need to save some points.

thanks for the heads up...

Well we won't be trying out that idea then... :sweat:  perhaps a triumvirate of Overlord and 2 lords one with Voltaic staff & one with a veil... :rolleyes:

Mithril

My Lord typically accompanies my Cryptek and 40 Warriors, a squad of 20 and two of 10, for those juicy re-rolls of 1 to wound. I play this in a Mephrit Detachment and often employ a Stalker's targeting relay combined with the Talent for Annihilation stratagem to great effect. Typically with this combo making the Lord my warlord and employing the Immortal Pride trait is a bonus, though when I do I also toss in the Lightning Field relic for safe keeping. Rarely does this model do anything for me in combat but it's nice having a warscythe in there for when a more elite unit shows up looking to wreck my Troops.