Maxmini wolf skull helmets and other bits

Just wanted to give a heads-up, that there are some relatively new bits available from maxmini. Particulary a wolf skull helmet, which might be interesting for people who want to add some Deathsworn flavour to 40k without having to buy the whole kit from forgeworld:

https://maxmini.eu/feral-knights-helmets-bits

I also like these new shields:

https://maxmini.eu/northern-tribe-shields-bits

All a matter of personal taste, of course

Edited by ranulf the revenant

• 2 weeks later...

They finally turned up today!  Bit disappointed, not had anything from Maxmini before, but the quality is not great, kinda fuzzy detail.  Did try and get a picture at work but can't get good lighting, will take some tonight with some other bits to compare sizes - the shields look smaller than Wulfen.

Here we go then, shields first:

Maxmini 4

Size wise, yep smaller than a Wulfen shield, detail wise, not amazing the wolf pelt bits look like the bananas we got from the newish FW Terminators, the wolf teeth are just fat blobs and the R rune in the centre of the shield will just vanish under a base coat.

Now for the helms:

Maxmini 1

Maxmini 2

Put this next to a Reiver head and you can see it's not as tall

it has a very short neck section, which you can see here:

Maxmini 3

Does it look Wolfy??? All I keep seeing is Crocubot from Ricky and Morty - "Wow, so your origin is what, you fell into a vat of redundancy?"

Crockubot

I like the shields, they are different and with a few tweaks (maybe re-do the centre rune with a Dremel) thin down the wolf teeth, they will get used, as for the Helms, I'm not sure, maybe will look better painted up, but again some of the detail is so slight just a base coat will loose it, the right eye lens bit the detail is just so slight.

Here we go then, shields first:

Size wise, yep smaller than a Wulfen shield, detail wise, not amazing the wolf pelt bits look like the bananas we got from the newish FW Terminators, the wolf teeth are just fat blobs and the R rune in the centre of the shield will just vanish under a base coat.

Now for the helms:

Put this next to a Reiver head and you can see it's not as tall

it has a very short neck section, which you can see here:

Does it look Wolfy??? All I keep seeing is Crocubot from Ricky and Morty - "Wow, so your origin is what, you fell into a vat of redundancy?"

I like the shields, they are different and with a few tweaks (maybe re-do the centre rune with a Dremel) thin down the wolf teeth, they will get used, as for the Helms, I'm not sure, maybe will look better painted up, but again some of the detail is so slight just a base coat will loose it, the right eye lens bit the detail is just so slight.

i've made this comparison to the max minis scults before

e03862a5e0ffb72d9eaaa1e799c5cca5.jpg

honestly, i know some folks here are big fans but i think they're terrible.

here's an image of a reiver with a deathsworn head in comparison 4mw4vwI.jpg?1

unfortunately you have to buy a whole deathsworn kit to get the heads. i intend to use all the parts of the kit for various products, but i really wish forgeworld sold them separately.

I've recently ordered some wolf-bits from KF Studio; some decorations for torso's, loincloths, fur-bius for shoulders and arms/legs and a set of 5 heads.

Ordered on the 14th and delivered the 22nd from Russia to the Netherlands, so was quite pleased with that!

Not gone through them in detail yet, but at first glance the quallity looks really, really good!

67649277_803972466665562_919461116201926

67234107_803972359998906_725009323304314

KF Studio bits are amazing, never dabbled myself but they a popular in this group.

here's an image of a reiver with a deathsworn head in comparison 4mw4vwI.jpg?1

unfortunately you have to buy a whole deathsworn kit to get the heads. i intend to use all the parts of the kit for various products, but i really wish forgeworld sold them separately.

Yeah I think the FW heads are better, but like you said, you need to buy the whole kit to get them.

Started to work with the shields and I think the casts are wrong, the material is more like rubber than resin, it just bends in my fingers with no heat or pressure applied, so I've dropped them a line with some pics of it bending, see what they come back with.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my replacement shields today, no bend in them so proper resin, still feel some of the detail is so fine like the R in the centre of the shield and will get lost with even a very thin undercoat, but I can also make it deeper with a Dremel.  My plan is to use them on a squad of Reivers armed with axes and shields. I got my hands on some Skaven double handed axes at the weekend and they look suitably evil for my cut-throat unit.

Edited by sbarnby71

Did a quick mock up of the sort of thing I'm going to do.  Worked out the axes I got were from Bestigors not Skaven, but the scale works really well with the Reivers:

Reiver Axe 1

Reiver Axe 2

Reiver Axe 3

The head with be a bare-headed Reiver and I'm going to use the shield on his back, might even go for no back backpack and just the shield to make him look even more cut down for battle.  As the arms are not a 100% fit I may trim down the shoulder pads so I can fit a proper SM set on to hide the joins and will have to add some greenstuff to rebuild the left bicep as it trimmed away to fit the original Bestigor mini.
Edited by sbarnby71