Mortarion's Flesh tearers - the collected thread

Mortarion

Excellent work on the Sanguinary Guard. The dark colors bring to mind the "fallen angels" spoken of in mythology; was that intentional?

Maybe not fallen angels as such, but i definitely wanted something darker than the official BA version. I really don't like the all-gold colour scheme. Since the Sanguinary guard models are so ornate, painting them gold just pushes them over the top in my opinion. It works for a single model, usch as Dante or the Sanguinor, but for an entire unit it become too much. And it definately wouldn't fit my Flesh tearers as I try to go for a darker and grittier look.

A squad of sniper scouts.

9uVNjZU.jpg

HI1JXa8.jpg

QF3bzom.jpg

HmzWZDw.jpg

With the camo cloaks, I wanted to show how they changed texture and colours to mimic the ground. I had done this before on my Storm Falcons scouts, but since those bases were just sand, they were quite easy to do. Cloaks morphing into industrial bases were a lot harder. However, I am really pleased with how this turned out.

An assault squad on foot.

KX4s7z6.jpg

WTgA67i.jpg

3TeoAUb.jpg

Close-up of the sergeant and an alternate sergeant for when I don't want to pay for a Thunder hammer. He was mostly used back in the day when assault squads could trade their jump packs for a free Razorback, so small squads without much equipment were quite good.

A Baal predator, "The Angel of Death". As I mentioned earlier, when I started this army, I set a challenge to myself to only use plastic GW bitz, plasticard and greenstuff. And back in the day when I built my Baal predator, it didn't have a plastic kit. So I had to build my own assault cannons. However, this also ment I could redesign them slightly. I made the barrels thinner and longer, like on terminator assault cannons. I think it looks much better than the short fat ones on the real kit (both the old metal one and the new plastic).

r9NOsTd.jpg

And a normal predator, "The Lord of Destruction". 

ceX7D8s.jpg

3zljhkI.jpg

Some dreadnoughts. First up a Furioso.

DxzzQwu.jpg

vtqcxp8.jpg

Since this was built long before the plastic Furioso kit and I didn't want to use metal or resin parts I had to build a right-hand CCW arm. It took some work but I'm happy with the results.

And a "rifleman" dreadnought with two twin autocannons.

srzWiE3.jpg

VRjDqou.jpg

xVyaiRh.jpg

I wanted to make this at bit more exaggerated then my normal models. Or rather, I wanted to make it realistic in an aspect that is rather overlooked in 40K. While weapons in 40K tend to be gigantic, the usually have quite normal-sized magazines or ammo containers. So I wanted to build a rifleman that looked like it could actually shoot rapid firing weapons for a long time. So I gave each arm a large ammo container and used quite long gun barrels to give it a bit more balance. The first arm (the right one) is made from an assault cannon arm and the quad gun from an aegis defence line, with plasticard for the ammo container and a few spare bitz. The left arm is made from a missile launcher arm to look like the right arm. It took quite some modelling to get them nearly identical.

And finally a Death company dreadnought.

GW0yhxq.jpg

oOSfkkT.jpg

IA8oyjB.jpg

It is painted in the same style as my regular Death company. Grey with even more battle damage than usual. If you charge headlong into the enemy, your armour will not look clean and new after.  Unfortunately, the photo is quite bad as some of the highlighting and shading seems to disappear.
For the banner, I went with the usual mix between horror movie poster and religious painting, with a bit of heavy metal estetics thrown in. The words on the banner "In Death Salvation" are supposed to have multiple meanings. For the enemy, seeing the image of the masked angel and those words, it will probably just seem like he is a religious fanatic who thinks he will "save" them by killing them. For the "pilot" of the Dreadnought it represent his chance of redemption. The Black rage has taken its hold and he is doomed. But if he can just use the strength it gives him against his enemies, their deaths may turn his last moments into something glorious, and thus earning him salvation. But in reality, the words also mean that death will most likely be the only salvation for the poor soul who now suffers from Black rage.

The saws instead of fists is an idea I have had for a long time. Since I use that on power armoured marines, it would be cool to try it out on a dreadnought. Originally I had planned to have a Chaos cultist who had been cut in half lying on the base. But that had two problems. The first was that it would require lots of blood and gore to look realistic. And in the end I felt that it would look less brutal and more splatter movie than I wanted. The second problem was that a cultist is so far from an even matchup for a death company dreadnought, It's not anything special to kill a cultist who never had a chance of hurting the dreadnought. So I decided to use the chopped of arm from some kind of mutant monstrosity instead. 
Edited by Mortarion

New model! An Invictor warsuit. For some reason this model was really difficult to get good photos of, but I finally (after quite a few tries) managed to get some OK ones.

N1shEZQ.jpg

CwDWMR1.jpg

iyY7lyc.jpg

xQ5wIp9.jpg

I really dislike the heavy bolter pistol idea of the original model, so I changed that into a wrist-mounted heavy bolter. And since a hand was no longer needed to hold the heavy bolter, I changed the fist to a circular saw.

RP4rVt3.jpg

And finally a size comparison with a tactical marine. I can totally see how this thing can sneak up on the enemy. You barely notice it. In fact, I bet most of you are wondering why I posted this badly cropped photo of just a tactical marine and absolutely nothing else... :rolleyes:

sneaky sneaky BUZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

Exactly! :biggrin.:

The background for Reivers talk about they are completely silent until they attack and then use amplified battlecries when they launch their assault to frighten the enemy. This Invictor could do something similiar, but with the CCW. I mean, what could be more terrifying for someone fighting the Flesh Tearers than the sound of a buzz saw revving up from inside a nearby ruin they thought was empty.

sneaky sneaky BUZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

The correct wording should be "sneaky sneaky buzz ARGH!!!" as a competent Marine would delay using the buzz saw until he was close enough to bury it in his enemy innards, after which this enemy's screams should drown out the saw motor noises.

• 2 months later...