Magnet advice requested

I would have liked to avoid posting this, but I can't seem to get any advice on magnets from anywhere at the moment, and all the older info I can find is conflicting. 

I bought some N52 2 x 1 and 3 x 1 already, but I think they're going to be too small for anything but space marine arms and stuff like that. 

I would like to stock up on a variety when I get paid so I have them ready for when I need them. 

I would like magnets for tank commanders/pask, leman russ sponsons and turrets, blightlord terminator arms, dreadnought arms, bullgryn arms and other things of that size, and then really any IG vehicles that might have multiple options. and up to the magnets I should be using for super heavies also. 

I realise this is probably something people are sick of talking about, but I'd really just like to get a list of sized magnets I should buy and then buy a few 100 of each so I have them all. 

If anyone can help me put together said list, it would be greatly appreciated. 

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Edited by Phok Smoulder

I'll let someone else suggest good larger magnet sizes for sponsons and turrets, but what I tend to do for larger parts is use multiple smaller magnets, such as the N52 3x1 you already have. The big advantage of that is that you don't have a single point of 'grip' which acts as a rotation point - for example, a terminator or dreadnought arm with a single magnet has a tendency to droop, while two smaller magnet points (top and bottom) prevents this. Another tip that goes with that, particularly for things like dreadnought arms is to use a small stainless steel washer on the opposite piece to the magnets.

a] so you don't have to line up two sets of magnets

b] you can rotate the arm fitting as desired

c] allows you to use the existing mounting pin for additional support

So for example glue a washer to the dreadnought body over the pin, with a pair of magnets in each weapon arm choice.

I would have liked to avoid posting this, but I can't seem to get any advice on magnets from anywhere at the moment, and all the older info I can find is conflicting. 

I bought some N52 2 x 1 and 3 x 1 already, but I think they're going to be too small for anything but space marine arms and stuff like that. 

I would like to stock up on a variety when I get paid so I have them ready for when I need them. 

I would like magnets for tank commanders/pask, leman russ sponsons and turrets, blightlord terminator arms, dreadnought arms, bullgryn arms and other things of that size, and then really any IG vehicles that might have multiple options. and up to the magnets I should be using for super heavies also. 

I realise this is

For my tanks and dreads, I use 4mm ⌀ (2 mm h) magnets to hold the weapons :

http://reho.st/self/ce655e03830504a85a3bc541b47f9ea9a6d4873c.jpg

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_11463/gallery_83433_11463_45742.jpg

Those are quite strong and weapons will not droop.

Another tip that goes with that, particularly for things like dreadnought arms is to use a small stainless steel washer on the opposite piece to the magnets.

a] so you don't have to line up two sets of magnets

b] you can rotate the arm fitting as desired

c] allows you to use the existing mounting pin for additional support

That is an amazing tip, actually, i never thought of doing that.

Big magnets are bad, they usually end up too strong for any of the things you listed. I've use just as light ones on dreadnought arms as on space marine arms. Hollow plastic is light enough that you don't need plastic variety so chunky magnets I've only found necessary on large chunks of resin like my leviathan dreadnought's waist, the other times I used them was to use up the ones I have bought too many of by accident.

I second the suggestion to always use multiple small magnets instead of one big magnet.

Even on large model components the actual surface areas suitable for magnetizing can be very small; it is usually much easier to find several small contact points that can fit a small magnet, than one large contact point that can harbor a large magnet. Just make sure the magnets on both sides of the contact point are properly aligned.

I started buying mine from Amazon. For wargame minis you really don’t need the strongest grade unless you’re magnetizing tiny joints.

5x1s are fine for most tank guns https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K6GBB46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have bigger ones for things like wings or magnetizing the underside of bases down to a plate for transport.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DD61G2F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have some tiny N42 and 52 grade magnets from K&J but I rarely use them now. They’re almost too strong and I risk breaking the plastic separating them.

I realise this is probably something people are sick of talking about, but I'd really just like to get a list of sized magnets I should buy and then buy a few 100 of each so I have them all. 

If anyone can help me put together said list, it would be greatly appreciated. 

I hope you all have a great weekend.

This is what I have used when magnetizing, and have been successful;

5x1mm - Knight arms, LR Main guns, Repulsor Executioner main gun

3x1mm - LR sponsons and hull weapons

2x1mm - Knight carapace and shoulder weapons, Crisis suit weapons

They are stronger than you expect them to be just by looking at them. If you need a bit more strength then you can double stack them in whichever joint you are magnetizing.