Today in Titanicus I...

SO, Yesterday in Titanicus I posted up a new Episode of the God Engine Cast.

This episode was a chat about Legio Astorum, and titanicus as a whole with @Mandragola

https://anchor.fm/martin-emery/episodes/Warp-Runners-in-Conversation-eipuue

This was fun to do. Listening to the sound of my own voice is incredibly embarrassing, but I suppose I'd better have a listen.

I knew I recognized you! I think we must have played Xwing at some point in the last few years!

It was a great episode. Really enjoyed the listen...

Interesting. Small world!

I listened to the podcast. I do go on a bi! Hopefully there’s some useful stuff in there. Personally I think I’ll take some lessons on getting to the point a bit faster. Was fun to do

Anyone else masively dissapointed in their forgeworld quality? My Quake wasnt great but I just got my macrogat and the damn injection points have to be carved off the gun end of the barrels, and I mean carved, you have cylindrical injection points right on top of a shaped connection point, and even then theyre barely what Id call even. The amount of flash was way more than Id usually get too.

On the plus side my dakka Warlord is complete now, so thats exciting.

Today in Titanicus I started painting one of my brace of Reavers. Guess I’m a Magna guy now, gotta start TYPING IN ALL CAPS!

gallery_13174_16604_3427.jpeg

This is still really WIP, have a ton to do on the under-carapace and all the ablative playing up top. Then I’ll go in and make some things different metallic colors on the exposed chassis areas. Need to nail down some transfers, thinking the FW Word Bearers one will work in a pinch...once I nail that down I will base this guy and the Warhound as well as weather ‘em up.

Had a blast playing Assault on the Fortress from the Ryza book, agressive vanguard maniples of Favilla climbing out of the slick, oily seas in waves to crash Astorum's repair depot. Great scenario, can recommend.

First wave emerges and takes the brunt of the defenders' fire, smashing in their midst.

1076243_sm-.JPG

Iudex Ultionis reaps a hefty tally with its power claw (powered by being swapped into a Ferrox maniple for those sweet almost guaranteed Critical Hits), ripping through both one of the repair cradle objectives and both princeps senioris of the defenders' maniples before being brought down by the deaththroes of the enemy commander.  

1076244_sm-.JPG

After six turns of incessant slaughter, the only remaining Astorum engine is a plucky Warhound that has miraculously survived the carnage of two Warlords double-KO'ing each other above it. At this point it had been running red hot for two turns, though, and as if giving up on life after the second cradle finally fell, it blew up to its own leaking reactor.

1076245_sm-.JPG

The midfield around the second objective got flattened out pretty thoroughly in the fireworks. This field of debris is the grave of at least four Hounds, a Reaver, a Warlord and what not.

1076246_sm-.JPG

Bloody brilliant game, this.

Edited by Sherrypie

This weeks Episode of The God Engine Cast is out 

In this show I Episode 28 of the God Engine Cast.   

In this show I sit down with Graham Sanders and talk though his  Matched Play Missions for Adeptus Titanicus.

Edited by Warsmith Uveron

Yesterday I received my ForgeWorld order. Unfortunately I had to email customer service as the Macro Gatling Blaster was missing … Now I'll just have to wait for them to answer and provide me with the missing blister.

All the other elements were there and are extremely well cast. There is of course a bit of flash and a few very tiny mould lines here and there but nothing unexpected nor unbearable. I'll likely update my plog in the coming days.

Not today, strictly speaking, but I have recently played my first couple of games (second is in progress), with someone I introduced to the game using Tabletop Simulator.

The first game used the basic rules and our second has added in a number of the advanced rules (not Knights, stratagems or Legios yet, though - those will be for game 3). It seems enough to have made him go out and get the starter set and an additional Reaver, sot hat's a success!

The first game was ended up in a victory for me, but really could have swung the other way had my opponent chosen to go second in both the third and fourth turns.

We each took three titans - a Warlord, a Reaver and a Warhound. Our Warhounds were identical, with Plasma and VMB. My Reaver had an Apocaylpse Missile Launcher, Melta Cannon and Chain Fist, whilst his had Turbo Lasers on the Roof, Laser Blaster and Chainfist. My warlord was equipped for range, with Apocs, a volcano cannon and a quake cannon, whilst his had turbo laser destructors, a power claw and volcano cannon.

Terrain wise, the battlefield had a good few buildings blocking line of sight here and there but wasn't too cluttered. I deployed my Warhound on my left flank, my Warlord in the centre (with line of sight to the opposite board edge) and my Reaver on the centre of the right flank. His Warlord was deployed opposite my hound, with his Reaver in the centre and his Warhound in cover opposite my Reaver.

In the first couple of turns the positioning of his Warlord meant I needed to redeploy my Warhound back towards the centre of the board or risk it being blown to bits in the open. This had the advantage for me in that it meant my opponent's Warlord would be led a merry dance trying to close and bring its own weapons to bear. My own Warlord hung back and hammered his Reaver, aided by my own Reaver which moved towards the centre of the table. His Warhound moved up to the centre of the table oppositve my Reaver but in the cover of a low building. By the end of turn 2, his Reaver had taken a point of critical damage to the legs and was quaked. My Reaver had taken damage to the shields from the combined fire of his titans (it had activated last and had managed to move out of arc of the Warlord's carapace weapons by pushing the reactor).

Turn 3 was the pivotal turn. My opponent made two mistakes. Firstly he advanced his Warhound close to my Reaver, hoping to distract it from his. Secondly he activated first, which meant, I could ensure my titans could largely react to where his were. My Reaver moved into chainfist range of his warhound and, although it took damage from the Warhound within the shields, then proceeded to tear the Warhound to pieces. The enemy Reaver took more damage (this time to the head and body) and got quaked again). My Warhound's shields managed to hold against the Warlord's carapace weapons.

In turn 4, my Warlord and Warhound finally downed his Reaver (long range aimed missiles to head did for him), but it could have been a very different game if he had maintained distance from my Reaver, rather than closing. But it was interesting to play and we have started our second game and are enjoying the difference that issuing orders (or not) brings.

Thanks Mandragola. It's interesting, but he's keen to get models on the table instead of using TTS. I taught him Blood Bowl first (before the pandemic) and we switched to the PC game once lockdown took effect. Physical models and the overall look and tactile feel do seem to make a big impression.

Any idea what the main objection is on the part of your 'tougher nut'? Is it financial?

Not financial. I think he'd heard some grumbling from grognards at our club. In the game he complained about the fiddly templates for moving titans and the dice being indistinguishable - which is kind of irritating to be fair.

We all play a lot of different games so it's tough to get interest in a new one. There are just so many games out there. AT is the best, obviously...

Yesterday in Titanicus I did most of the basecoating of the trim for my first warlord. Took ages! But it was quite relaxing in a way. Pleasingly, with the base colour of the trim laid down the colour of the armour plates look a lot richer. 

I also started building one of my Warbringers (I have two, for a Ruptura maniple). I'm wondering about what to do here, as Warhammer Community previewed the 40K-scale Warbringer with Belicosa. So, that probably means the Titanicus version will be released soon. I do want the option to arm one of my Warbringers with a Belicosa, and I've got a spare from the Warlord kit; so, I was planning to use that and put together some heat sinks or whatever to replace the ammo bins for the Quake, all magnetised most likely (I think Mandragola did something similar that looked really good). But now there's a clear case for waiting for the official release. I think converting the Warlord Belicosa to fit the Warbringer wouldn't be too hard, actually, but the using official one would probably be a bit neater - and certainly quicker.  Hopefully it will be available as an upgrade sprue, as I don't really want a third Warbringer. As an aside, I think the 40K-scale Warbringer that was previewed looked great, with the Belicosa levelled at the enemy. Really aggressive and menacing.

The other idea that's floating in my head is that the Warbringer's Quake cannon could look really great on a Warlord. The barrels would give it a real gunslinger vibe. That's very much an idea to store away, at this stage, though, rather than act on.

Last week I got my titan battlegroup out of storage - Rather than painting more and more Blood Angels to add to the collection, I want to paint some models that allow me to play a different game system entirely.

So I have a warlord, reaver and 2 warhounds.

I think I can make a venator maniple from this, the one where a reaver shoots when warhounds drop shields? Is that a decent start to a force?

Also, I assume paint schemes don't really matter - I'm thinking of running them as Legio Tempestor/us to paint them similar, but have the option for a Tzeentch-aligned traitor titan legion at some point, but retain the ability to use them all on the same side - does this seem reasonable? 

I don't think Tempestor rules are the strongest, but can they be fun? I'll magnetise everything I can, but in-game is it worth upgrading the lasers? 

Tempestus has great rules, agressive machine spirit means you might get a free shot out every now and then and shooting as you die is a nice way to keep up the pressure at the front. I've had succes with them running Hounds at the front, forcing the enemy to respond to them which lets their leading Reavers in Venator / Ferrox setups close in from another angle. Two maniples in a pincer maneuver is also very effective with this.

For funsies, if you're playing Retrieval, you can also try to airlift one Hound on the objective when you've ran your other engines in there as a defensive wall, protecting it as it runs into safety next turn :D

I'm wondering about what to do here, as Warhammer Community previewed the 40K-scale Warbringer with Belicosa. So, that probably means the Titanicus version will be released soon...

If by "soon" you mean the next quarter or two - yes.

Looking forward to seeing what other alternate bits might be in the offering  - I'm hoping for an alternative to the AA shoulder mounts.

I'm wondering about what to do here, as Warhammer Community previewed the 40K-scale Warbringer with Belicosa. So, that probably means the Titanicus version will be released soon...

If by "soon" you mean the next quarter or two - yes.

Looking forward to seeing what other alternate bits might be in the offering - I'm hoping for an alternative to the AA shoulder mounts.

Yeah, I’m with Schoon. We can make a couple of assumptions, one solid one less so. The first and most supportable assumption is that we are getting one plastic kit per quarter. Although the gap between the Warbringer and the Cerastus variants was around 5 months, that also included the start of the COVID lockdown, so I’d expect to see another plastic kit around October/November time, however the knock on from COVID might still be impacting them, so who really knows?

The second assumption is that the Bellicosa Warbringer will be in plastic. This is based on previous Titan releases having most variant weapons in plastic, but who knows if the Warbringer has sold well enough to support that? I’d still put my money on plastic but it’s not a sure thing, they could go with a resin conversion kit, but I really hope they don’t.

On the plastics, there only seems to be a couple of candidates currently, those being the Bellicosa Warbringer and the variant Acastus. Everything else we have rules for has been released. So I would guess these would be the next two plastic kits taking us into early 2021, but they could surprise us with more scenery or some new kit to accompany the next book (Corrupted titans, Mechanicum knights?). Exciting times!