Today in Titanicus I...

TIAT I finished painted my Civitas Imperialis terrain. This means I've finally painted everything that came in my launch day GME box - only took 1 year!

Pictures! We need pictures!

The buildings are a super simple spray, wash, dry brush. Not exactly brilliantly painted but I’m happy with them. They are all modular still, so I can click them together to make tall buildings. Have done a few in the photo.

Couple of quick snaps:

AIik0rv.jpg

HNvMR6U.jpg

Edited by Burni

Yesterday while painting my Epic army (though mostly meant for 6 mm Apoc), I realized to my infinite masochism that those little skulls in the Cerastus'

transfer sheet might be just small enough that I could use them as Death Guard insignia on pauldrons... 100 pauldrons. And there's only ~20 per sheet.

*sigh* I might have to get three more boxes at some point...

That's the original system cribbed from Dune, yes, where you had to learn a special "slow" style of combat to beat the personal shields everybody

important had. A nice reason to have close combat be important in a scifi setting (that and the mutually assured nuclear destruction if somebody

decided to use laser weapons on said shields).

40k description for voids seems to vary somewhat from writer to writer, either there's a sizzling sheet of water / everything goes through /

rain disappears into the warp and so on. From the canon point of view, I'm somewhat puzzled by a line in Haley's Titandeath where there's a naval

boarding action coming and somebody says the enemy must first overload their shields to get their boarding craft through... err, what? Boarding, for

a decent part, is effectively used because it passes the shields that would have to be ground down in huge exchanges of fire over longer times. Then

on the other hand, I personally like the idea that there is something special the pilots have to do when they drive through the shields instead of

just pressing the pedal to the metal. Much like the oddly slow dance of death in Dune, if you act rashly you're screwed. Space ships move pretty fast,

I'd totally accept a fluff piece that said they are stopped by the shields if they just blast into them like the ordnance they evidently do stop.

Edited by Sherrypie

I assume when titans merge their void shields they're configuring them to the same wavelength since all energy emitted has a wavelength.  When titans close into combat they walk through voids but I wonder if there's sparking or an aurora emitted when different wavelength voids converge or collide. 

It'd be neat if a titan had to rip through an enemy titan's voids to close into melee like in Evangelion:

https://youtu.be/vVjqLcKpYvA?t=1202

I haven't seen that series since high school in the 90s :eek:

Evangelion is awesome. AT fields are different (generated by the user's mental fortitude as they are), but also really cool. I wonder if there might be psi-tech that allows for variable voids in 40k in Ordo Sinister's arsenal or does it step on eldars' toes.

I thought the Eldar Titans were "protected" by holographic projections/shimmer to make it hard for enemies to target the actual Titan, along with just moving around as much as possible...

Evangelion is awesome. AT fields are different (generated by the user's mental fortitude as they are), but also really cool. I wonder if there might be psi-tech that allows for variable voids in 40k in Ordo Sinister's arsenal or does it step on eldars' toes.

I thought the Eldar Titans were "protected" by holographic projections/shimmer to make it hard for enemies to target the actual Titan, along with just moving around as much as possible...

Yeah, in general they are. I was just wondering if there was also any hint of powerful psy-tech, lorewise, that was used in a protective fashion in titan warfare. The Evangelion AT field brought this to mind, as there all the abilities of the "mechs" derive from the pilot's mental fortitude and skill both as a pilot and as a human being. We know powerful psykers can do large scale stuff like evoke city sized shields (as they did on Prospero), harnessing that on titans would be reasonably awesome.

I’m playing Battletech today and there’s some really cool things in it and there’s plenty of stuff AT just glosses over. I will say hex movement is really, really nice but having to roll locations for every missile hit takes forever. My opponent has been playing for years and years so he knows the hit location table, it’s so nice having a dice that says the location on it.

Yeah, in general they are. I was just wondering if there was also any hint of powerful psy-tech, lorewise, that was used in a protective fashion in titan warfare. The Evangelion AT field brought this to mind, as there all the abilities of the "mechs" derive from the pilot's mental fortitude and skill both as a pilot and as a human being. We know powerful psykers can do large scale stuff like evoke city sized shields (as they did on Prospero), harnessing that on titans would be reasonably awesome.
I read “Ordo Sinister” and they have standard voids but their left arm is a cannon fueled by the energy of psykers. They do, however, have other abilities. In one of the Forgeworld books they say a psi-titan quelled a rebellion just by walking through the city as it emitted a sense of doom.

TIAT i base coated most of the armor panels on my Reaver. Am i the only madman who does this with a brush? It took some serious layering...

I used regular old brush for armour panels on all my Titans. Even madder is that my Titans are Legio Praesagius so was painting white with a brush. :woot:  I love painting.

TIAT i base coated most of the armor panels on my Reaver. Am i the only madman who does this with a brush? It took some serious layering...

Definitely not the only one! TIAT, I finished my Fureans Warlord, and started work on my Reaver, so I can speak from very recent experience! I need to take some pics, then Ill get them uploaded in a new thread. Pleased with how he’s come out. Just need to name him, now!

In Betrayer two Legio Audax Moderati got promoted to Princeps. I imagine getting command is very much a case of working your way up the ranks, though that's just Audax. Who knows what the deal is with Fureans or Gryphonicus? They're likely all completely different.

TIAT I put together the bases for my first 2 Warhounds:

gallery_43855_15628_65246.jpeg

gallery_43855_15628_562371.jpeg

Princeps tend to come from many backgrounds, I think. Audax and Vulpa at least recruit from Moderati, in the Titan! -comic the main character is an almost graduate from the school that trains princeps when he is put in command in situ as the older mentor Princeps dies in action etc. Wouldn't really be surprised if there were God-Engines piloted by teenaged wonders screaming "WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?" as they pierce the heavens with their drills and wear sunglasses inside.

Child princeps is a really cool idea, especially since during the crusade there were plenty of oddball cultures that could do as they please before reunification. You could totally have an Ender’s Game scenario with child geniuses grown in vitro who’ve been bred for tactical acumen. Maybe some flaw in their engineering where their minds atrophy quicker so they keep putting the princeps in younger and younger to get the max amount of service from them?

Child princeps is a really cool idea, especially since during the crusade there were plenty of oddball cultures that could do as they please before reunification. You could totally have an Ender’s Game scenario with child geniuses grown in vitro who’ve been bred for tactical acumen. Maybe some flaw in their engineering where their minds atrophy quicker so they keep putting the princeps in younger and younger to get the max amount of service from them?

the story I've made up for one of the Titans in my Homebrew Legion is that it only excepts the children of it's previous Princeps who's conception, gestation, and birth all occurred while their mother was hooked up to the Titan.

this Titan eventually falls to Slannesh… or at least that was the plan that inspired me to come up with that background, I'm not so sure I want to keep that(if only to save myself the time/money of eventually needing to make both a "before" and "after" version of the Titan once Chaos/Daemon Titans become a thing, especially sense I want it to be an Imperator Titan with the "Cathedral" being more of a "Royal Palace" for the Princeps's family)

regardless of what I do, she will be named "The Lady of Pain"

Edited by RipOffProductions

Legio Vulcanum famously uses clones of previous Princeps to command their Titans, which I think is a fantastic quirk for a Legio personally.

This week in Titanicus I'm slowly working my way through building some scenery.

Dragonlover