Today in Titanicus I...

Not that small, with dozens of kits required per faction to get a proper Epic rolling (and 30k specific launch would be dumb, the world needs other things beyond marines as well). With xenos planes for AI being a thing, expansion into AT xenos is far likelier in upcoming years.

at the same time, the Heresy era makes sense for Epic scale battles with Marines, if anything it would portray the Heresy better then traditional 40/30K scale games.

Not that small, with dozens of kits required per faction to get a proper Epic rolling (and 30k specific launch would be dumb, the world needs other things beyond marines as well). With xenos planes for AI being a thing, expansion into AT xenos is far likelier in upcoming years.

at the same time, the Heresy era makes sense for Epic scale battles with Marines, if anything it would portray the Heresy better then traditional 40/30K scale games.

So it does, so too it does with 40k. Warhammers of all varieties have always presented these huge, mad battles with seas of soldiers clashing as giants and titans tower above them while presenting rules suited for maybe 30-100 guys at a time. Epic has always made more sense than 40k's schizophrenic flailing at what it wants to be as a game.

Personally, I really dislike making Heresy themed games on their own. They don't really differ from more expansive 40k times except by being restricted, when you could just as well have a broader base game and achieve the Heresy flavor by variant army lists. I don't want Epic HH or Battlefleet Heresy, I want Epic and BFG that can be used for Heresy as well. Heresy is fine as a theme when you're starting things out (like having titans punch titans made from the same sprues), but damn if it isn't reductive to only limit things there.

I think there'd be huge demand for a Forge World / GW Epic system, personally. It's true that Epic is well suited to 3d printing and third parties, but I think a lot of the people who have got 3d printed stuff would pick up a lot of the official models too. The upcoming Aeronautica release will give them a pretty good idea I reckon - if that flies off the shelves (as I expect it will), that's a strong indication that any Epic release would sell well, at least if they pick the right factions.

It's a big commitment though as Epic requires quite a lot more breadth in its range than AT or Aeronautica. For that reason alone I'd expect Epic to be a 30k game (although they didn't take that approach with Aeronautica - so who knows, really!). 

In Titanicus related stuff, I'm making gradual progress building my Warmaster. So many magnets! I'm also gradually painting up Reaver weapons for my Vulturum - mostly lasers for use in a Ferrox.

I was involved in the game distribution business back in the days of Epic, and part of what killed it was too many items. I know that may sound counter intuitive, but there is a cost associated with keeping an item produced and stocked up and down the supply chain (GW sold through distributors at that time). When that cost exceeds profits from sales, bad things happen.

This is one of the reasons GW has been so cautious about the current Titanicus line - keeping it small, and letting some items sell out forever on purpose.

IF they considered bringing a version of Epic back, they'd almost have to keep it 30K, unless they did some of the items/boxes as "one and done."

• 2 weeks later...

TIT I finally tabled my friend's Ignatum. (He's tabled me twice before this.)

Only for the explosion of his last Warlord, and some Titan Hunter Infantry to take out my last two Warhounds in return.

13 titans, and at the end, only one Warhound remained standing. (The one I silenced.)

Edited by Brother Adelard

I really want to do a laser reaver. You get decent rate of fire, can go harder into shields and can really do some damage to armour.

Laser Reaver + Venator or Gryphonicus Extergimus sounds super fun, if maybe a bit volatile.

In other news, no Engine Kill today! We got skipped again, like February. And last month's article was pretty weak ("look, color plates exist!"). I'm not particularly surprised, as we did just get the Warmaster, Loyalists supplement, the Warbringer Bellicosa, and an FAQ, and we are getting Volkite weapons next month. But I'm an obligate Traitor so I really want some news on that dang Traitors supplement.\\

edit: oh wait, I also did some hobby and got my Warmaster's Suzerains together. Those mould lines on the plasma coils... oof. Glad I'm through it though.

I also started removing all the pegs that lock the legs in place so I can repose them, and started fooling around with tacking them. So far, these look like the best legs for reposing in the whole range. Mine might finally be ready to prime by the end of the day! I was way slower than a lot of folks, but I'm getting there. It's a great mini and really rewarding to start to see it come together.

Edited by LetsYouDown

I mean, getting skipped is getting skipped, getting only one plastic kit, one good book and some half arsed resin releases is also a bad thing, not mitigation :( 

I mean, getting skipped is getting skipped, getting only one plastic kit, one good book and some half arsed resin releases is also a bad thing, not mitigation :(

I can understand some disappointment, especially with the resin Warbringer weapon, but given the impact COVID has evidently had on other systems (just look at Aeronautica to see how bad it could have been!), I’m pretty pleased with the support we’re getting for a niche system. The Warmaster is amazing, the Loyalist book, while not including huge amounts of new material is a major quality of life improvement, and the resin Volkite weaponry was a very nice surprise. I’m not unhappy at all, but YMMV, clearly.

As for the topic, TIAT I packed up a 2000 point force and some terrain to take down to my local-ish gaming club tomorrow night for their first evening of gaming since November! I’m hoping I can remember the rules, but it’ll be great to be rolling some dice again! Got a Corsair and Ignis maniple from my Legio Atarus facing off against their hated foes of Mortis. I’ll try to remember to take some photos!

I mean, getting skipped is getting skipped, getting only one plastic kit, one good book and some half arsed resin releases is also a bad thing, not mitigation :sad.:

we can hope a third carapace gun gets invented and used for a second Warbringer plastic kit... but it's unlikely.

at least Reavers are far more likely to be something players buy multiple off and thus can have their guns repurposed for Warbringer use... but yeah...

I really want to do a laser reaver. You get decent rate of fire, can go harder into shields and can really do some damage to armour.

yh it's deffo a support titan that I expect to be split firing a decent amount with, but the ability to drop those last few voids or score that final crit for another titan really feels valuable, especially 'cause I've gone for plasma rifling as one of my custom legio traits so I can always push for that extra 6" range

Considering a third Warlord so i can field the big boy maniple :wink: Probably using the Battlebling gatling cannon, does anyone know how the Warmaster weapons look on a warlord, are the mounts interchangeable? Photos appreciated if anyone has the relevant bits magnetised! :) 

Considering a third Warlord so i can field the big boy maniple :wink: Probably using the Battlebling gatling cannon, does anyone know how the Warmaster weapons look on a warlord, are the mounts interchangeable? Photos appreciated if anyone has the relevant bits magnetised! :smile.:

They're not directly interchangable. The Warmaster's Suzerains have a chunky bicep and take a 6x2mm magnet over a 5x1. There are similar-looking parts but they're all significantly larger than the Warlord equivalents. It could probably be made to fit with a hobby knife and some time and dedication if you really wanted, though.

Agreed, that teal and orange is a winning color combo. Great selection.

Can you share a little more about the house you'd like to create?

I'm still trying to figure that one out so I still have a lot to work on.

TL;DR - A Ryza aligned house with ties to Legio Xestobiax. No solid plans for a list, I'll build something as I go.

I will be building a Xestobiax legio, as they currently have no dedicated knight house I had a look at the other houses in the books and none of the colour schemes stood out to me. Teal was something I picked as "green", I find it had to distinguish between shades of colours and the bottle said light green so.... :D I just wanted something that would be different from the purple and white of Xestobiax. It took a two weeks but I realised Ryaz was close to Prospero and the colour wheel agreed. Create a knight house that has ties to the mighty Ryza! A friend of mine runs Crucius so might tie in well if we get to play double games.

That's what I have background-wise, a knight house from the area around Prospero/Ryza that has ties to Ryza and has participated in campaigns with Xestobiax. I've bought a few decal sheets from different shops so I'll probably pick a few icons out and build up the household background based on those.

For the list I don't have any particular aim, I'm starting with 4 lancers and have 2 Porphyrion ready to go. I'll be spending time on painting up titans as well and see if I can get some table time. I'll circle back to knights after a while and expand them, I've always like the Atropos model so I'll add two of them and 6 Questoris Knights. If the Atropos do not count towards the minimum banner requirements then some Acheron and Castigator can be added to fill that role, once I get that far along I'll hopefully have a better idea of what direction I want to go in for my knight household.

That's about it for my plans so far, indecisiveness coupled with painting titans means it could be near the end of the year before I make much progress on a knight house :)

Got a game in for the first time in forever, bloody covid! Narrow loss but very fun to play with Warlords rather than my usual reavers, even if new toy syndrome murdered my poor new one :biggrin.:

You can't leave us hanging like that!

What new toy killed what other toy, and was it fun anyway?

Got a game in for the first time in forever, bloody covid! Narrow loss but very fun to play with Warlords rather than my usual reavers, even if new toy syndrome murdered my poor new one :biggrin.:

You can't leave us hanging like that!

What new toy killed what other toy, and was it fun anyway?

Hehe it was fun, brief Battle report/summary:

Legio Fuerans Myrmidon Maniple

Yuvarani Agnikaa (Young Queen born of Fire)  Warlord (Volcano/Quake/Missiles)

Adweta Daminikaa (Inspiring Lightning-struck Earth) Warlord (Plasma/Plasma/Gatling) The Newest toy :D 

Mehak Nikita (Sweet smell)(Earth, victory)  Reaver (Laser/Fist/Missiles)

House Gevauden Questoris Lance Red fang (3x Gallant)

Legio Sagittarii

Lupercal Maniple (3x Warhounds Mix of Plasma/Bolters)

Venator Maniple (Reaver w/Double Volcano, Laser, 2x Warhound all bolters)

Engage and Destroy (We usually mirror the objective) in a built up city

The First round was relatively quiet, Sagittarii manoeuvring out of sight down side streets while Fuerans aggressively advanced to cover the city marketplace firing missiles as they did so, their Knight support lurking out of sight in an alley.

The Second round saw Sagitarii seizing the initiative and swarming out to engage Daminikaa, though one of the Venator Maniple Warhounds trod on a particularly potent mine, blowing a leg clean off and sending it careening first into its Sister warhound then into a city block, demolishing their cover. Their Lupercal Maniple was also ambushed by the House Gevauden knights who came swarming out of their alley and tore off several of their plasma blastguns. Despite this though, the Sagitarii tore down Daminikaa's shields, blew off her guns and inflicted heavy damage to every location, she returned fire with her remaining plasma cannon to little effect, though Agnikaa did knock down the enemy Reavers shields both arm cannons went wide, knocking down another building the Warhounds were using for cover.

At the start of round three a blind barrage fell defensively around Daminikaa but the Fuerans force failed to issue any orders, by contrast every titan in the Sagitarii force pushed power to weapons, eager to fire first and claim their prey, and claim it they did, even as Nikita threw itself between the Lupercal Maniple and Daminikaa the enemy Reaver levelled its Volcano cannon and cored out the might Warlord, sending it tumbling to the ground in flames. Their exposed position cost them though as Nikita and the knights tore into the Lupercal Maniple inflicting heavy damage, though in turn Nikita was blasted by the Venator Maniple and fell, even as their reaver took a beating from Agnikaa.

Round four opened with a vengeful Agnikaa karmically blasting the Sagitarii reaver on first fire as the remaining warhounds scattered down side streets ahead of her wrath, their many critical hits and missing weapons leaving them ill suited to fight another intact warlord even with their elite magos struggling to vent heat and get systems and shields back online. The Knights were still on their backs though as they pulled down the slowest titan.

In Round five and 6 the Warhounds continued to try and stay out of sight as the Knights struck down another alley trying to slow them down. Agnikaa caught sight of one and blasted it into oblivion, a once more scattering quake blast hobbling another. The Vengeful warhounds did finish off their tiny persecutors though and as the forces disengaged, Sagitarii had the advantage on the butchers bill.

So ya, fun game, and i learned to keep my warlords closer together and not fail order rolls :D Both sides also called in orbital bombardments during the game that hilariously missed but ill be damned if i could remember when!