BL Weekender 2019

aa.logan

Mixed feelings all around, I am super happy for some folks that get to go but writhing with envy for those that will get their paws on Valdor months ahead of the rest of us:biggrin.:

More seriously, it is always cool to hear the discussions that come out of these things!

Less seriously, I hope we get some juicy lore as to why Valdor's head is inflated like some eldritch balloon (my personal theory is that Valdor is a reformed Pennywise going by the Forgeworld model and his ability to taste plot with his magic stick).

It doesn’t seem Valdor’s going to be available at the Weekender, or if it is they’re keeping it a surprise.

Mixed feelings all around, I am super happy for some folks that get to go but writhing with envy for those that will get their paws on Valdor months ahead of the rest of us:biggrin.:

More seriously, it is always cool to hear the discussions that come out of these things!

Less seriously, I hope we get some juicy lore as to why Valdor's head is inflated like some eldritch balloon (my personal theory is that Valdor is a reformed Pennywise going by the Forgeworld model and his ability to taste plot with his magic stick).

It doesn’t seem Valdor’s going to be available at the Weekender, or if it is they’re keeping it a surprise.

Oh well, I guess I will have to wait longer to learn the truth behind his mutant head...:biggrin.:

Like others have said Valdor would fit in perfectly sometime in the next few weeks. Next week sees only an AOS paperback edition and a Horror audiodrama, while the week after has nothing that I could see. I vaguely remember The House of Night and Chain being scheduled for October before they randomly removed it from the coming soon section, but who knows if that’s changed. Only other possibility I can think of for the next couple weeks is The First Wall, which will supposedly release in the next month according to BL’s Facebook.

• 4 weeks later...

The event is this Saturday and GW/BL have done literally nothing so far this week to market the event on their many social media platforms and website.  

Pathetic really.  Even the midweek BL email didn’t even mention it.  Their social media has been silent on it.  Nothing.

I really do not understand BL’s marketing strategy at all.  It appears like a golden opportunity to generate revenue and build hype is lost by not even getting the basics right.

sigh.  I only complain because i care.  

@Ubiquitous There’s so much about GW in general I do understand.

Probably best, fair chances the madness such knowledge would be bring would cause you to mutate into a Chaos Spawn.

More seriously, GW tends to make alot of moves that to an outsider seem odd (can't speculate on their internal logic). 

My best guess is that they have alot of faith in word of mouth among the community, which seems a bit wasteful but its the most sense I can make of it.

It’s already sold out. They didn’t need to market it, they just needed to put the next solar war book on pre release at it along with a load of other books that prob will be a nightmare to get and everyone will go just to get them. They could show eastenders episodes and everyone would still want to go, just to buy the releases.

It’s already sold out. They didn’t need to market it, they just needed to put the next solar war book on pre release at it along with a load of other books that prob will be a nightmare to get and everyone will go just to get them. They could show eastenders episodes and everyone would still want to go, just to buy the releases.

It didn't technically sell out I don't think. It was still up for sale until around 1300 on the 8th. At which point they probably had to then stop sales.

Two seminars in, and it’s pretty good.

There was an issues with the tills at the start and the queues are still horrendous, so I’ve not braved the shop- there is talk of the maps having sold out. I took extensive notes in the Holy Ordos seminar. I’m just going to dump them here, and maybe clarify the later.

The Holy Ordos

Why inq?

JF- Role of inq as protecting humanity vs the imperium, different approaches impossible task ‘solve’ 40k. One inq could just send letters and info, another leads armies and crusades.

DA- variation gives a good way into 40k, immediate opp to create distinct characters. Greatest opp to write domestic 40k, the imp that all other stories are about defending

MB- power fantasy, inq may be physically weaker but wields ultimate power, allows the reader to project themselves and remain intellectual and emotional autonomy.

JF- horrible position, no-one else to call.

What motivates inq? What’s it like writing them through the factions motivations?

JF- allows great drama as ideology clashes with reality. But people expect something more simple than the reality of the setting. Direct clash between ideologies. Can lead to too much exposition

Da- originality in plots, at least theoretically. Have the ability to create stories from nothing, and allow stories of conflict to be resolved in more original and subtle ways than shooting someone. Inq is the best role, but still :cussty.

JF- what makes an inq other than the badges of office- know the truth of the universe and still function- chaos, warp etc and have the willpower not to be quivering mess. The descions aren’t automatically good, but they are fesicions. Which is better than inaction, whatever forms the plans take in an insane universe.

Mb- agrees. Not nesc more complex motives, but more complex tools- things available to them beyond just killing stuff. Inq work to a goal, however misdirected

Retinues- who is in them, what roles are they representing? Filling gaps or emphasising strengths?

Mb- inq need to be self sufficient, need stuff to live day-to-day. Cover all the bases with trustworthy individuals. Compares to crew of Firefly.

Da- allows you to write a bunch of idiosyncratic characters vs platoon of Astra militarum. Used the inq rule book when writing eisenhorn as gaming mechanic makes sense in real world. Growth of war and mirrored game development. Ravenor was a more conscious composition. Through inq and war bands interaction we learn about the inq’s character. Eisenhotn regrets treatment of warband by the time we see the Magos. Some like randomly rolled npcs who stuck around. Family dynamic more than any other faction- or superhero team. Took 2.5 books before realised the ravenor crew were the x men.

Jf- older than that, Jason and the Argonauts. Building cast of characters is interesting- they are potentially more so than the inq. The Horusian Wars books aren’t really about covenant. The warband are much more interesting. They don’t have the full picture, so it’s just like anyone doing a job. Fischig is great.

DA- focus was largely because of insane rescuing to write in first person; shift to third person (and back with the Bequin books Halfway through number 2) renders ravenor a non-character. Penitent will ‘melt your underpants’.

Audience qs.

Inq as power fantasy, can there be a satisfying reader experience where the Inq works well?

Jf- be a challenge, but ends up ‘Hans are we the baddies’- writing needs disruption and conflict.

Da- cliche/trope/checkovs gun for corrupted inq. Partially because power corrupts, but it is the standard career path because they know the truth about the universe which sends them insane, become heretics by default. Eisenhorn is dangerous just because of what he knows, he is still so loyal to the imp.

Jf- inq have the courage of their convictions, which makes them what they are. Ends up going against what they are.

Da- old ‘sane’ inq are either liars or bad inquisitors

Jf- would make a good story

Mb- my inq is relatively young but experienced and competent. Does her being xenos help keep her that way? Out of her depth with the warp. When doing that, she only copes because of power armour athletic etc.

Is psyker powers an easy way out of dealing with conflict?

Da- it’s a danger, get out of jail free card, so tries to mix it up and provide circumstances where they don’t work, want every set-piece to feel different from old ones. Still obeying the logic of the universe but making a scene work

Jf- psychic conflict is another thing- whole dimension based around eating you. Covenant and eisenhotn are low-level. Characters need to be one end of the power spectrum or the other. Massive power does bad things to the wielder- how does it effect the internal headspace. Intersting story.

Mb- inq servant in power armour

Does writing inq allow writers to explore the warp?

Da- interesting bit fraught with difficulties, can lead to information becoming untrustworthy. The most chilling things we can learn about the warp are the matter of fact after the event things. Less is more, esp with horror. Contrast with usual 40k, hard to be subtle because of its scale.

Jf- no-one in universe reallly know what the warp is- ordo malleus doesn’t know what daemons *are*. Ambiguity is great. The Emperors Legion has a great scene with nurglings that is really horrible when you think about it. Bloodthirster breaks the minds of the witness, in GG where descriptions use non visual senses.

Mb- inq in rites of passage relies on chetta for warp advice, recognising experience of others. She knows her deficiencies.

Da- that is rare in the imp. On balance the inq is good, but would things be better if they did nothing?