Grey Knights back to the fray?

angrom

Hey everyone,

With the new rule that space marines will get "Angel of death"

All space marines will get an extra attack when charging and being charged.

This will bring falchions marines to 4 attack a piece with banner and terminators to 5 attacks

Do you think this is enough to see the grey knights back to the tables?

This is nice indeed.

But still not enough to make a real difference. Just means we'll wreck slightly more face in combat. IF we get into combat with our 2 remaining guys in a squad...

This psychic awakening thing might be good though. But probably just endless spells...

It may be just endless spells, but it may be more. The announcement made reference to the “Dark Millenium”. That was the name of the psyker expansion for 40k second edition, and it added a LOT to the game. I am praying that this is the reason GK haven’t received any real fixes, because they will get fixed with psychic powers. Probably just a pipe dream on my part, but I still hold out hope.

apparently litanies are going to be added to for Chaplains so that may be a thing for our new found Chaplains. That being said I am kind of wondering if inquisistion will get the same treatment. Inquisition being the base book and then broke out to Deathwatch, SoB and GK's.

It may be just endless spells, but it may be more. The announcement made reference to the “Dark Millenium”. That was the name of the psyker expansion for 40k second edition, and it added a LOT to the game. I am praying that this is the reason GK haven’t received any real fixes, because they will get fixed with psychic powers. Probably just a pipe dream on my part, but I still hold out hope.

Along with the rule improvements to shooting (Bolter Discipline) and combat (Shock Assault), if Psychic Awakening even just allowed GKs to spam their Sanctic spells our mono GK armies effectiveness would increase substantially. 

Can you imagine pulling off say multiple casts of Sanctuary, GoI and Astral Aim EVERY turn? Sure, not close to a top tier or tourney-level soup army - but having multiple units being able jump on objectives on the other side of the board, while teleporting out of tedious tarpits, the 3++ on ALL of our GMNDKs (without the need of CP), and ALL our lascannon dreads ignoring LOS and enemy cover bonuses...all our GK units now have the potential to become quicker, tougher, choppier and/or shootier - just from the psychic phase.

Edited by Waking Dreamer

Reading the previews, it looks like each chapter is getting its own psychic powers. If they allow them to use chapter specific powers and librarius, perhaps we will get access to librarius powers? Would be nice to have more powers to cast.

Along with the rule improvements to shooting (Bolter Discipline) and combat (Shock Assault), if Psychic Awakening even just allowed GKs to spam their Sanctic spells our mono GK armies effectiveness would increase substantially.

Can you imagine pulling off say multiple casts of Sanctuary, GoI and Astral Aim EVERY turn? Sure, not close to a top tier or tourney-level soup army - but having multiple units being able jump on objectives on the other side of the board, while teleporting out of tedious tarpits, the 3++ on ALL of our GMNDKs (without the need of CP), and ALL our lascannon dreads ignoring LOS and enemy cover bonuses...all our GK units now have the potential to become quicker, tougher, choppier and/or shootier - just from the psychic phase.

Agreed. Even if each subsequent cast added 2 to the needed roll, it would be a great improvement. Add librarius, and make Psybolt and Psychic Onslaught psychic powers that can be cast instead of Smite (ie once per squad, no higher roll needed) and it would be awesome.

Sooo the +1 attack thing is basically a "re-imagined" version of true grit (old school rule) and you can create your chapter tactic type abilities (again like old school rules). For vanilla Marines of course.

Wonder what else they'll bring back?

General concensus is that this psychic awakenings will just be endless spells.

Or since they're bringing back old rules, maybe its just going to be how psychic powers were back in the day? Certain powers for certain phases and no cast limits ect?

Perhaps they’ll redo how the psychic phase works in that you can cast what ever you want with whichever unit. But you can only cast X amount from that unit.

So instead of “knowing” one or two spells you can cast any of them on your list, but only one or two cast.

Would make it easier to remember which unit has what spell if they all can cast it.

Then offer restrictions from there. “This spell may only be cast once per turn” etc.

** If you’re a fan of the Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Grey Knights or Deathwatch, don’t worry – you can look forward to official rules updates coming soon via free PDF download. And remember, you Heretic Astartes players out there will also be gaining Shock Assault for your units in a similar update!

So Grey Knights wiill be getting a PDF rules update and that's it...

** If you’re a fan of the Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Grey Knights or Deathwatch, don’t worry – you can look forward to official rules updates coming soon via free PDF download. And remember, you Heretic Astartes players out there will also be gaining Shock Assault for your units in a similar update!

So Grey Knights wiill be getting a PDF rules update and that's it...

This might sound a little 'glass half full' but if we are only getting updated rules and an enhanced chapter tactic, then we could become a better all around army without having to replace our entire collection with Guilliman brand heresy primaris cool kids, at least just yet.

When you look at the enhanced chapter tactics for the chapters announced, they are similar in function to the later codexs, like Ork and GSC (2-3 mechanics per sub faction).  If we keep the stuff we already have, and get Shock Assault and then get an enhanced additional, that could be very nice.

++ Edit

Just seen on the official FB - Grey Knights are NOT getting an enhanced chapter tactics in the coming PDF update.  

Edited by Shinkosh

This won't make us a top tier army all of a sudden, yet it is a huge buff, especially to Strikes, Purifiers and Interceptors. If they just replace ATSKNF with Angels of Death, then NDKs getting it too, but not Dreadnoughts. 

I think, we are getting a supplement sooner or later.

I'm wondering on the mathhammer to Paladins now though. What's better, 5A S4 AP-2 (Twin Falchions) or 4A S5 AP-2 (Halberd)...?

Just received new intel.. Calling all GK Maths hammerers! We require your immediate assistance!

I'm wondering on the mathhammer to Paladins now though. What's better, 5A S4 AP-2 (Twin Falchions) or 4A S5 AP-2 (Halberd)...?

Just received new intel.. Calling all GK Maths hammerers! We require your immediate assistance!

Off the top of my head, against:

- Toughness 3,6 and 7 Twin Falchions would still be better, as the Halberds S+1 doesn't make a difference.

- Toughness 4,5 and 8 would be the key difference, but I would need to pull out the calculator find out for sure.  

Off the top of my head, against:

- Toughness 3,6 and 7 Twin Falchions would still be better, as the Halberds S+1 doesn't make a difference.

- Toughness 4,5 and 8 would be the key difference, but I would need to pull out the calculator find out for sure.  

Against T4,5 and 8 the Halberds would be slightly better. However keep in mind that more dice means getting more reliable results which is something that Mathhammer can't properly represent.

The only thing GKs will get in the PDF is the Shock Assault and Angels of Death rules. No improved Chapter Tactic, no new powers. Bare minimum, as per usual. We will no doubt get a new Codex eventually but only so that GW can wring more money out of us. Guaranteed it won't have 10% of the effort or thought put into it that the usual favourite factions get.

I'd love to be wrong but it's painfully evident that GW couldn't care less about Grey Knights as a faction or as a playerbase.

It will definitely give a boost to all CC armies including GK making them more effective, especially against Daemons -

+1 attacks,

Re-roll failed wound rolls,

But a rule which increases toughness or gives a feel no pain would be useful providing how certain units only have 1 wound and how critical those units could be based on certain strategies or game types!

I think, Falchions are still generally better, but taking halberds/swords is not shooting in the own leg anymore. 

I don't think, we really need new codex to be good. Just a supplement or WD rules update, which makes our weak warlord traits and relics better would be enough. It just hurts me that we cannot make full teleport strike like in previous editions. 

The only thing GKs will get in the PDF is the Shock Assault and Angels of Death rules. No improved Chapter Tactic, no new powers. Bare minimum, as per usual. We will no doubt get a new Codex eventually but only so that GW can wring more money out of us. Guaranteed it won't have 10% of the effort or thought put into it that the usual favourite factions get.

I'd love to be wrong but it's painfully evident that GW couldn't care less about Grey Knights as a faction or as a playerbase.

That is my feeling as well. But I sure wouldn’t mind being pleasantly surprised for once.

The only thing GKs will get in the PDF is the Shock Assault and Angels of Death rules. No improved Chapter Tactic, no new powers. Bare minimum, as per usual. We will no doubt get a new Codex eventually but only so that GW can wring more money out of us. Guaranteed it won't have 10% of the effort or thought put into it that the usual favourite factions get.

I am not sure what you are expecting this PDF to have exactly. 

Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Deathwatch, and Dark Angels are only getting those things too. 

GW is just giving "universal rules" to all of the Astardes chapters. It's much like the Dreadnought attack profile question. It's all the same unit minus the chapter attached to it anyway. 

We also have the psychic awakening thing which will absolutely effect GK. 

Those two things on their own may not be amazing, but it's a buff none-the-less.