Grey Knights back to the fray?

angrom

We have several nice stratagems to use from SM codex, if we take SM allies. Fury of the First and Transhuman physiology are the best, probably, and very nice for paladin bombs. +1 to-hit on stormbolters and 4 psilencers, 2+, 4++, 1-3 rolls to-wound fails. Very CP hungry though, but Ultramarines librarian with Scrier's Gaze can be helpful.

We have several nice stratagems to use from SM codex, if we take SM allies. Fury of the First and Transhuman physiology are the best, probably, and very nice for paladin bombs. +1 to-hit on stormbolters and 4 psilencers, 2+, 4++, 1-3 rolls to-wound fails. Very CP hungry though, but Ultramarines librarian with Scrier's Gaze can be helpful.

I dont mean this to sound flamy, I know your only pointing out useful combos but the very idea that Grey Knights need to take an Ultramarine Libby along for psychic backup...

That just doesn't sit well with me.

I have several sources claiming, that grey knights lost Bolter Discipline with new update. I may have a proof that these rumors are false. Page 1, second column (under designers commentary) states:

These rules updates are appropriate for the brutal assaults of Space Marines, regardless of their organisation or allegiance. Therefore, the following updates also apply to the appropriate weapons and units in Codex: Grey Knights, Imperial Armour – Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astartes (including the following datasheets: Relic Sicaran Omega Tank Destroyer, Relic Sicaran Arcus Strike Tank, Gabriel Angelos, Carab Culln the Risen, Casan Sabius), Codex: Chaos Space Marines, Codex: Thousand Sons, Codex: Death Guard, and Imperial Armour – Index: Forces of Chaos. Note that these updates are in addition to gaining the Bolter Discipline ability, as described in a previous update. The changes are listed below.

Later, under Index: Imperial Armor headline, they state:

Angels of Death Add the following ability to all datasheets (excluding Grey Knights datasheets): ‘This unit has the following abilities: And They Shall Know No Fear, Bolter Discipline, Shock Assault and Combat Doctrines.

If I got it right, it only states, that Grey Knight doesn't recieve Combat Docrtines for FW units, since GW stated earlier that Bolter Discipline from previous update applied to all units in the following books (C: GK, IA: AA, etc.). Even if this statement really excludes all GK units from FW, it only affects single Doomglaive Dreadnought and his stormbolter, for all other units are Vehicles and don't use Bolter Discipine rule. 

If I didn't miss anything new, we are OK and still cunning bolter users as our vanilla battle brothers.

• 2 weeks later...

you're not allowed to have fun

This is getting beyond ridiculous, I was hoping that perhaps they would put the chaplains litanies the same for all codexes but no instead they made the other chaplains even less appealing because now on top of being useless they are unreliable.

And yes no being able to use codex space marines stratagems hurts deathwatch and greyknights tremendously.

Honestly being able to use the codex space marines stratagem was nowhere broken or even strong and was the only thing that was making me swallow the pill about this ridiculous power creep unbalance between space marine codexes.

At that point they should just remove ADEPTUS ASTARTES for any non founding chapter and replace by "LOW LIFE FORM THAT SOMEHOW MANAGED  TO PUT THEIR DIRTY HANDS ON HOLLY POWER ARMOR" just to show how much they care and acknowledge the lore about space marines chapters :verymad: .

I am not really dissapointed, because there were only two stratagems which I really liked and could use for interesting builds. I really hope, that transhuman physiology will be available to all astartes and it is the best stratagem for GK.

I had a game against new SM codex and I did fine with ETC restrictions. I lost 9-11, but that was really close, because VP were 12-13 and KP were 10-10. 

I used hero hammer with stormraven and 3 assassins. Opponents roster was infantry heavy with phobos cap, lt, standard, cassius, tigurius, 2x10 intercessors, 10 helbrasters, 3x3 eliminators and 1x4 lasdevastators.

SM are still not mobile, too depended on heroes and very vulnerable to mortal wounds. Intercessors are now the main DPS, but they require lots of CP to kill everything. I just hide a strike squad in ruin and placed characters after it. It took 2 turns for intercessors to relocate in a way they could see strikes and kill them before killing characters. 

Stormraven didn't do well, of course, but I think, it is worth to take 3 rhinos or 3 razorbacks or even a couple of GMNDKs/NDKs just to cover our characters.

Fury of Deimos rocks with Bolter Discipline, btw. It is literally twin heavy bolter, but 30" and not heavy.

You wonder what’s the point in having Keywords if the Keywords don’t apply to anything. Why give several factions Adeptus Astartes if you can’t actually use Adeptus Astartes stratagems unless they’re specifically in your own book anyway? Games Workshop takes it’s own incompetence to new levels with every release.

Well, ADEPTUS ASTARTES stratagems still can be applied in mixed detachments of vanilla marines and Ultramarine librarian can cast Psychic fortress on white scar bikers this way. Also, stuff like bolter discipline still affects all ASTARTES.

I wonder, why wouldn't GW just forbode to use stratagems from one codex on another. They already made exceptions almost for all the stuff.