The Lycia Crusade: The High Marshal complete!

Urkh

Thanks Bjorn and brother carpenter!

When it comes to the crosses, the trick is to just repaint over the cross with the background color to redefine the edges and points. Just get your basic shape of the cross down, then go back over the edges. You can do it!

• 2 weeks later...
I bought Stirland battlemire and some grass tufts from the gws down the street from me. I'm finishing a new sword brother I'm particularly excited about today, and will be basing him and the crusader squad today! Pics will be up soon .

ok everyone, New sword brother time! Welcome esteemed Brother Bandobras, the Bullroarer!

gallery_65490_15736_196852.jpg

gallery_65490_15736_80846.jpg

gallery_65490_15736_70400.jpg

While defending the planet of Lycia VII against the Orkish WHAAG Azog'Mgog, Brother Bandobras lead a small company to defend the city of Ostia, which had been under constant assault from the vile greenskins for 3 days straight. After weeks of battle, he lead the charge in grasslands outside the city. He found the wasboss in charge of the Orks, and singled him out for combat. As he assailed his foe, he dodged an attack, and with one fell swoop took off the head of the enemy. He put his foot on the beasts head, raised his power maul, and screamed "VICTORY!!!" Louder than any had ever heard.

Even as he did so, however, the xeno creature still growled and gnashed its teeth. In retribution, Bandobras swung the head of his maul in a devastating arc at the head on the ground. As it flew through the air, he could feel the morale of the human troops increase, and the greenskins' waned.

After the battle, Bandobras found the head of the beast in a small hole. As he picked it up, he noticed underneath it, on a chain, a piece of Imperial tech. The idiot was wearing an STC as a necklace! He discerned the data, and it was for a game where humans hit a small white ball long distances in an attempt to get it in a hole. Not understanding why something like that would be important, but an STC is an STC, so he sent it to the proper people.

And that, is how Brother Bandobras the Bullroarer single handed stopped the Orcish siege of Ostia, and rediscovered golf at the same time.

Excellent work on Brother (Chaplain?) Bullroarer. Why does he bear the Inquisition's symbol on his right pauldron? Is it a souvenir from service alongside an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, helping to exorcise a Daemon (though Bullroarer may not remember the incident, due to the Inquisition mindwiping him afterwards)?

I honestly just liked the shoulder pad, haha. I'll say...

After a long crusade many decades ago. Bandobras and his company were aboard their strike cruiser, about to head to the next crusade. What he found there, was the inquisition, doing a "regular checkup", they called it. Basically making sure nothing heretical was happening within the Black Templars.

Marshal Urkh lead the inquisition through the ship, with bandobras and the rest of his brotherhood in tow. Everything seemed fine until they hit the navigation room.

Upon seeing the navigators, the head inquisitor, Inquisitor Ephidel, suddenly turned into a demon of chaos. He rushed towards the navigators, but the Templars were already in pursuit. After a bit of a battle, the demon was able to land a blow on Marshal Urkh, throwing him into a wall with such force that it knocked him unconscious. In a zealous rage, Bandobras roared at the top of his lungs, "COME BROTHERS! LET US SHOW THIS FOUL CREATURE THE EMPEROR'S MIGHT! HIS BLESSINGS FLOW THROUGH US AND PROTECT US! NONE CAN STRIKE US AND NOT FEEL HIS WRATH! COME BROTHERS, AND LET'S TAKE THIS BEAST DOWN!"

The templars instantly were filled with more zeal than ever, and were able to pummel the demon into the ground. Bandobras, raising his mighty mace, brought it down and smote the head of the monster. As he did, the demon's thoughts echoed through the chamber.

"Possess navigator... infect the astronomicon. Stop the Imperium..."

The rest of the inquisitors reported back to the inquisition about Bandobras's faith and zeal, and sent him that shoulder pad. They also recommended him for the chaplaincy of the chapter. He has yet to become a chaplain, though he wears the shoulder pad as a memory of that day.

Phew... he now has more fluff written for him than any of my other minis, hahaha!

I will say that I was tempted to make him a chaplain instead of a sword brother, but I had already painted his shoulder pad as a sword brother pad, and I hadn't come up with the cool pose he has now. I also don't have any skull helmets, which for him I would have put on the ground in this shot, as I feel the need for that particular face since he is shouting. Really makes the scene come to life.

On another note, I am loving the paint Ulthuan Grey. I've been steadily using it more and more on my men, and on bandobras I used it on his tabard and cloak instead of white scar. The coverage was so much better than white scar it is amazing. It also allowed me to highlight with white scar, making some details on the cloth pop more.

Edited by Urkh

• 1 month later...
So, the new codex came today, after a long wait. Doing a brief perusing of the pages, I came across the Imperial fists successors chapter page and was immediately drawn to the green of the subjugators. With the first line of their fluff being, "Almost as zealous as the Black Templars..." I am drawn to this chapter. This might be what gets me going into primaris, as I feel I can, fluff wise, run them either as black templars or imperial fist rules, increasing my options games. They would supplement my templars, not replace them, though.

• 3 months later...

So, for a while now, I've been thinking about "rebranding" my crusade. I went un-named for a while, and settled on the tempestas crusade as the name when, in my old thread, we made jokes about everything being weather related.

Now, years later, I've started other armies and am finding a theme across all of them, being that I name almost everything after Fire Emblem characters. My Eldar are Craftworld Etruria, and my upcoming Necrons are going to be the Nabata Dynasty, both after locations in Fire Emblems 6 and 7. I have also named various minis in my crusade after various character through multiple games. Given this, I am considering renaming my crusade "The Lycia Crusade" after the Lycian League.

I would definitely need to figure out what to do with my Ancient if I do this, as he is purely branded Tempestas, but I am loathe to change his banner.

What Brother Adelard said makes sense! Go with his idea and don't worry about it. Your seem to have everything sorted out in your head and the change makes sense, being in line with the pattern you seem to be having with your forces. I'd recommend that you don't redo the banner - we have to remember our heritage, so do the Imperium's Finest. Either get a new ancient or just get a new banner and magnetise it - that should be easy with the way your standard-bearer is modelled.

As both brothers above have stated,retire the banner, not the mini.

You could even have the banner sitting in a piece of scenery, as an objective marker (cature the relic?).

That's what I did with the fantastic back banner of the FW BT Ven dread. I stuck it to a baseplate and I had a very cool objective marker.

To me there is nothing wrong with bearing a banner of an accomplished crusade to battle. Helbrecht has bygone crusades on his personal banner, too, iirc. Grimaldus hauls the ruins of Helsreach around. Or has them hauled. So, if that is a crusade the brothers fought in and succeeded in, there is nothing wrong with letting the enemy know what they're in for.

Wow, I was not expecting the replies here! Thank you guys! I had honestly never considered doing what Brother Adelard suggests, but it makes complete sense and is easy to do. I gotta say though, moving to a new Era in my crusaders history has gotten me very sentimental feeling about my men!

When it comes to the Ancient, I think I will leave him untouched. I have a second command squad box, and so can make a second Ancient with a new banner. I can use different ancients to depict whatever time period I'm feeling like playing at the time.

I do really look forward to moving into the new crusade, though. I can name fighting companies after territories in Lycia, and have the Marquesses as the Marshall and Castellans. Be prepared for Castellan Eliwood on a bike wielding Durandal (the burning blade)! Also, moving my timeline forward, for some reason, makes me much more willing to accept primaris into the crusade. New crusade, New reinforcements, right? I may get around to painting my starter set assault intersessors quicker than I thought. What a wild time for my crusade!

Quick rundown of what I'm thinking so far for battle companies

Fighting Company Ostia : Marshal Hector (more of a first co. type feel)

Fighting Company Phrae : Castellan Eliwood (lots of infantry, more black tide like)

Fighting Company Caelin: Castellan Lynden (fast units, i.e. bikes and jump packs)

Fighting Company Laus : Castellan Darin (long ranged fire support and vehicles)

Obviously each company is not restricted to only these things, but I think for painting the companies, I'll be marking the appropriately and more along these guidelines. I could add a fifth company for covert ops, (phobos and scouts), but we'll see when I start primaris. In game, companies will obviously mix together. I may do games with pure companies one day, though.

A lot to think about here! Thank you guys again for the support and the ideas!

So, in preparation for the changes to the crusade, I've bought... way more plastic than I ever should have. Incoming I have:

x2 vanguard vets

x2 sternguard vets (mostly for sweet bits)

x4 devastators (I have almost no heavy weapons outside missile launchers, and I have no grav cannons at all)

x2 tactical squads (bits, as well as more legs for all those heavy weapons)

x2 black templar upgrades

A new Emperor's champion mini (mine is badly painted, as well as damaged)

A rhino (to bring me up to two total)

An LRC (also two total)(I've been wanting a shot at painting another one of these since my skills have gone up a lot since the last one I painted, and I have all these black templar doors and ramps just sitting here!)

A terminator assault squad (bringing my total to 10 men)

(A lot of this was bought with xmas/birthday funds)

With these kits, I believe I will be able to cover all the infantry I'm ever going to need, be it elites, troops, or heavy support. I am planning on making a new Master of Sanctity mini,as well as a marshal on bike with the burning blade (to represent Eliwood mounted with Durandal equipped). Later, I will plan for making Hector, having him be my marshal on foot.. This, along with emperor's champion will be the beginnings of the new crusade command for the Lycia Crusade.

These minis should also round out Fighting Company Phrae, and give a good boost to Ostia as well. Laus and Caelin will receive reinforcements in 2022!

I am planning on having the Tempestas Crusade go through one more game against my brother's tyranids. He often brings the Swarmlord, so this should be a suitable final battle to end the crusade. I will make sure to make a battle report for you guys so you all know how it went!

I like it! The final stand against the Swarmlord. Will the Crusade end in glorious victory, or glorious defeat? 

And that is a lot of reinforcements! Lucky the Inquisition doesn't have good records of our numbers or we'd be accused of the heresy of Legion-building!

Good plans you've got there! Me being me, I also approve of your of non-Primaris units for expanding your Crusade!

I must confess that you (re)organising is an unexpected source of inspiration and motivation for me. I am getting around to organising my force, too, but due to real life work load, I'm unable to do that.

It also seems that you have things under control. Remember to keep (and cherish) what you have and process that grey plastic before buying any new one!

Do you plan to paint members of your individual fighting companies in some distinct way so that it's apparent that the hypothetical squad A is a part of Ostia? Or are you keeping to the Tempal vibe of ad hoc comradery and personalisation of each warrior's armour and weapons?

@brother christopher: one of the things I'm looking forward to is when I have time to take all minis down and organize them into the fighting companies. Having this set up allows me to build for something rather than just for gaming purposes. I'll be able to actually create my crusade! I will probably get around to it after it is all painted. My goal is to have my entire pile of shame done by 2022. It is going to be a lot of work!

The game against my brother is currently now set for feb 22nd. Hopefully it goes off without a hitch. In the last game he played against my cousin, he brought the swarmlord, a flytant, two large genestealer hordes, a mawlock, a large squad of devourer gaunts (went through the mawlock hole), three hive guard, and probably a few more things, but that was the gist of the list. I dont think he has a lot of anti-vehicle stuff, so I'm thinking of bringing more of those. My land speeder typhoons have always been good to me, and with their long range, I can keep them in my backfield to screen against any reserve shenanigans, most likely in three units of one so I can spread them out.

He does usually like to keep his shenanigans the same between games, so I'm expecting the swarmlord to use his special ability on the genestealers to allow them move-advance-move-advance-charge on turn 1. I think using a rhino and a vindicator as a frontal screen against that, with some melee infantry behind them would help me against that trick. After that, I feel I just need to kill some little dudes and deal with the HQ's.

He's not much of a "next level" player, and we haven't really played against each other since seventh edition (both of those games you read about in my archived hobby blog linked in the sig). I'm not expecting him to go too far out of his comfort zone, especially since that list slaughtered my cousin's grey knights. So hopefully this plan works. I'll work on making a list after I get home from work tonight.