The Lycia Crusade: The High Marshal complete!

Urkh

Awesome banner! The lightning looks so natural. I have an image in my head of some xenos facing across from your force, seeing the banner and thinking "wait a minute... we haven't seen any drop po- OH NOPE NOPE NOPE" 

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have finished my heretical project, and now it is time for me to move on to some more Templars! I have a Bike Squad box and a second Command Squad box, and I was planning on make the Apothecary, Company Champion, and Banner Bearer (Company Ancient now?) on bikes, but I just recently read that they are apparently "Legends" units. I am now wondering if It would be worth my time to make these minis vs making a second foot version of them. The original plan was to use the legs from their kit to make more Initiates for a new crusader squad. Having the squad may still be good just to have the minis, since I really only play casually with my friends, and their rules are readily available. What are your guy's thoughts?

P.S. I'm going to finish my current "Company Ancient" on foot that you guys just saw, and should have pictures up of the command squad soon-ish!

They are drop pods. "Tempestas" is Latin for "storm" or "weather", so this is "The Storm Crusade" in English. Hence, I went with drop pods for a rain of fire, and a giant lightning bolt because why not.

Thanks guys!

As for the champions shoulder, I painted him like 6 years ago, and I was originally going to run him as my emperor's champion because mine isnt painted very well and his sword broke. That shoulder pad is also the one that comes in the command squad kit for the champion, but looking back on it now, I see only the top panel of the shoulder is supposed to be gold! As such, I dont rightfully have a story for him at the moment, but maybe soon!

Thanks! I dont own any primaris marines, and I'm not buying anything until my backlog (that is 5 years old now) is complete. Even then, if I do get primaris marines, it would be the new box that gets me into them. I'm currently working on a throwback "squad", then I'm going to do a new crusader squad, including a new Sword Brother, decked out in upgrade sprue pieces. So, what I'm saying is, expect some more classic marines coming up!

I'm with you on this one. And I think I understand where you're coming from even too well with my own year's worth of backlog. Even though GW did extremely well and almost managed to trick me into lifting my 'embargo' on their products with the new box that you've mentioned. Actually, at the moment I have made up my mind not to buy Primaris infantry ever and -- if I get back to regular gaming -- proxy them using different sizes of bases and regular Astartes. Maybe I'll get some vehicles, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Ok guys, these guys were minis a planned on painting a long time ago. Like... back when we still had our own codex long ago. As such, these guys arent a unit we can take anymore, but I wanted them so I painted them. Behold!

gallery_65490_15736_221031.jpeg

You are looking at the neophytes for High Marshal Helbrecht's command squad, with the option of making one of them a banner bearer. The banner bearer himself probably will never see a tabletop, but I will use the other 5 guys as ccw/BP neos as normal. Hope you guys enjoy!

Thanks guys! Honestly, I have idea anymore why he has a peg leg. I guess I'll just say he lost his leg in a fight against some xenos, and he'll get his bionics when he becomes an initiate. I got these guys 2nd hand from a friend, and they weren't the best taken care of.

The whites on these are somewhat of an issue. Some of them actually had their cloaks painted 6 years ago, and for some reason they're really grainy on the back.

I'll also admit, I was really scared to cut off the shoulders from the melee arms to be able to glue them onto these guys. My biggest fear was that I wouldn't be able to find a way to make the arms sit in a way that looks natural. I think they turned out fine though.

My hand was shaking by the time I got done painting that banner as well. It is difficult trying to get that pattern on a banner that is around 1/3 the size of the original. I've also decided I will just say his banner counts as a CCW, and has no other rules so he can see a tabletop. Anyone who has a problem with that can suck it!

• 1 month later...

Progress report: I have finished the first half of my crusader squad. This is technically a legal squad I believe, but I still have five more guys to make for it!

gallery_65490_16360_72435.jpeg

The sword brother's power maul is made from the handle of an auspex, the black Templars lantern with a crusader seal attached, then 4 aquila from the drop pod kits cut in half and each glued to the back of the other half, then glued to the lantern to make the maul.

Edited by Urkh

• 5 weeks later...

I have "finished" this crusader squad now!

gallery_65490_15736_358196.jpg

gallery_65490_15736_408261.jpg

These are the first guys in my crusade to ha e gotten the lightning bolt on their power armor as a crusade badge for the Tempestas Crusade. The bolt can be found on Ancient Brother Nils's banner, and I thought I would make sure to incorporate it into this squad, and all future squads I do. Some of them have the bolt on their backpack, but everyone has one, rest assured!

I put finished in quotes because as I put my heart and soul and zeal into these guys, I want them to be the first minis I have to receive basing. I'm not sure how I would want to base them though. I was thinking some Starland mud, dry brushed to show depth, then patches of some static grass. I think a splash of green would look good in my crusade. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

GW made some guide/suggestions back when... I guess when the texture paints were newish?

Here's what they suggested then to do with stirland mud and battlemire:

gallery_65134_15414_52623.jpg

The result being fairly orange-y is of course because of the ryza rust. Not sure how well bright green tufts would look on this as is, but of course, you can just drybrush with something more muted.

I was thinking of dry brushing with successively lighter browns. The orange feels more Martian than I am looking for. My board is covered in green flock, so I think it would make more sense to be dirt based than oxidized iron based. The battle mire does seem to have a more complex texture to it though. Decisions, decisions...

So a long time ago, during a game at a GWS store, the twin linked multi melta pieces disappeared off my storm raven. So during the painting of the final initiate for my squad, and given the new rules for heavy bolters, I painted the twin linked heavy bolters for it. This morning, I went to my hobby table with the raven after waking up, thinking, "I'll just glue those on quickly."

As I was gluing them on, I remembered about the super glue "fog" that happened when I had to glue the canopy back on top, and decided to fix that real quick too. Then I figured, "Well, since I have the Raven at the desk, and I don't have any crosses on it yet, and IDK when the next time I'll think to do this is..."

gallery_65490_16360_120853.jpg

gallery_65490_16360_65847.jpg

This took me over an hour to get to the point where I deemed them "acceptable". I'm still not 100% happy with them, but at least they're there. I still hadn't eaten nor used the restroom yet (I'll chalk it up to zeal), so I had to stop and actually get on with day.