We're Gonna Get a Book!

I’m planning on sticking the fist of Terra on a veteran intercessor sergeant....

3a base for being a sergeant +1A for being a veteran intercessor +1A for charge/charged and +1A for just having the fist of Terra, and if things get really aligned +1A for shield unwavering if with range of an objective

Anyone got a different blue they have seen used for Crimson Fists. I’m not a massive fan of the really dark blue and prefer a bit more of a regal blue.

I use macragge blue as a base. I zenithal highlight/shade with a light blue and indigo ink. Then I pin wash with Nuln Oil and dry brush with Stormfang.

Results can be seen in the Sons of Dorn expansion VI and the Armies on Parade threads. Feel free not not like the colour choices but I had the same feelings about very dark blue as you expressed.

I’m planning on sticking the fist of Terra on a veteran intercessor sergeant....

3a base for being a sergeant +1A for being a veteran intercessor +1A for charge/charged and +1A for just having the fist of Terra, and if things get really aligned +1A for shield unwavering if with range of an objective so 7 attacks from a lowly intercessor sergeant

All hitting on 3’s because of the no negative to hit

Run them as crimson fists and pedro will give him 7/8 attacks.

If you had a librarian near by you could cast might of heroes and make it 9 attacks at strength 9

Now have him attack a T8 vehicle and pop Tank Hunters stratagem :)

9 attacks hitting on 3+ rerolling. Then wounding on 2+ and I'm sure you could stand a Lieutenant nearby to help with that. He won't quite solo a full health knight but he will reliably mess up a Tank Commander. Not bad for a sergeant.

The Tank Hunters strat is intersting because it sort of wants to be used on a big unit, like Dev Cents or a Leviathan. Without it, my instinct would be to spread firepower around a lot more.

I guess the comprimise would be to take a Leviathan and a few smaller units. The Leviathan just seems incredibly powerful if it gets to fire at a vehicle, and even if not. If it ever gets to stand near an objective, and get itself a 1+/3++ then it's going nowhere.

It looks pretty easy to "unlock" the relic. TFCs, Eliminators, Stalkers and of course Centurions are all great.

The Tank Hunters strat is intersting because it sort of wants to be used on a big unit, like Dev Cents or a Leviathan. Without it, my instinct would be to spread firepower around a lot more.

I guess the comprimise would be to take a Leviathan and a few smaller units. The Leviathan just seems incredibly powerful if it gets to fire at a vehicle, and even if not. If it ever gets to stand near an objective, and get itself a 1+/3++ then it's going nowhere.

It looks pretty easy to "unlock" the relic. TFCs, Eliminators, Stalkers and of course Centurions are all great.

Sadly shield unwavering (+1 save and attack) is infantry only

Sadly shield unwavering (+1 save and attack) is infantry only

That's probably for the best. Very good on Centurions still.

Anyone got a different blue they have seen used for Crimson Fists. I’m not a massive fan of the really dark blue and prefer a bit more of a regal blue.

I use macragge blue as a base. I zenithal highlight/shade with a light blue and indigo ink. Then I pin wash with Nuln Oil and dry brush with Stormfang.

Results can be seen in the Sons of Dorn expansion VI and the Armies on Parade threads. Feel free not not like the colour choices but I had the same feelings about very dark blue as you expressed.

I found your army, looks great. That’s closer to the blue I’d like. I think Kantor blue is just way too dark for me. Next time I’m at my hobby shop I’m going to see what they have and might look at some different paint manufacturers.

So having stared at the book some more, I have to say I really like the 1st Company look:

Dnwbp1J.png

BWIp9rg.png

85IAbUs.png

I'm just a bit sad Aggressors aren't Veterans since they'd be pretty slick with the white.

And this (as well as the larger sample army) has me rethinking going all in on Primaris only:

aj3aQIC.png

Centurions definitely help balance Primaris out quite a bit, but I haven't really settled on much else in the army I feel is a "must take" (beyond maybe the TFC).

I found your army, looks great. That’s closer to the blue I’d like. I think Kantor blue is just way too dark for me. Next time I’m at my hobby shop I’m going to see what they have and might look at some different paint manufacturers.

Personally I really like the dark blue. You can get some really nice contrasts with it. I'm running a very infrequently updated plog here if you're interested.

Those look great as well...to say I don’t like the dark blue is me being a bit dramatic. I like the darker blue over let’s say ultramarine blue. What I have found so far is that I really do need to do two edge highlights with the darker blue. Kantor blue on its own is a lovely colour but I’ve been washing the models in nuln oil and it really darkens the model. I was thinking if I can find a lighter blue as a base then the shade will take the final result closer to the Kantor blue. Then I might get away with a lighter base, dark shade and just one edge highlight with small touches here and there.

To say it took me a long time to finish only the squad sgt is a huge understatement lol

Edited by Utter Polux

Have you seen the new start collecting Vanguard set that will be released this Xmas? I’m going to go for that. It has lots of things on my list...eliminators, suppressors, infiltrators.

It's the Vanguard half of Shadowspear so it's not a bad box.

i'd buy it if i could find someone to trade either the exliminators or the incursors for one extra squad of suppressors

So,as it stands,not likely.

Btw,reading the lore i had 2 lol moments:

-the first one at the mention of how the Fist took the indomitus crusade as proving that yes,Dorn was right and Guilliman goofed.

-the second one at how the 8th  is the "purging the BT from our recruits" company :teehee:

Edited by Fenriwolf

• 3 weeks later...

So,according to PsyAw2 rumors,a master of sanctity chaplain is more or less a must-use now (as likely is the chief apothecary when running mass infantry/centurions)

Oh boy,we'll really end needing brigades to fuel all this stuff

Edited by Fenriwolf

55 point Ordo Xenos Inquisitor with the "gain a command point when one is spent on a 5+" trait might be well worth a look. Don't lose any Doctrines or Legacy of Dorn by slotting one in and I think that trait also lets you screw with your opponents strategems once a battle as a bonus.

Kantor blue on its own is a lovely colour but I’ve been washing the models in nuln oil and it really darkens the model.

There's your problem. You have 3 obvious solutions, depending on exactly what you're trying to achieve:

• Stop using the wash.
  • Thin the wash
  • Only apply the wash to selected areas that would be in shadow.

I only use a wash as a way of establishing dark-lining between armour plates.

I'm now experimenting with very thin application of black or a darker blue to create what Eavy Metal painters call 'soft shading' which is the darkening of areas in shadow, such as the inside of the legs.

My approach is to wash everything, then come back with thinned down Kantor blue again.

I spray my guys leadbelcher, paint the armour plates blue with a thin coat, wash the whole thing black and then give the blue it’s second coat. Then I highlight the blue, blending all the way to a blue horror point highlight. Takes a while! It does save me a fair bit of time to not need to paint the metal - or at least only the bits where I’ve messed up.

Well today I had a match vs tyrands, what Trainwreck, stalker bolter useless, chapter doctrine useless, chapter tactics... Average, stragems mediocre at best(in this matchup) buffing saves is worthless against -4 or -6 AP, tank Hunter and vigilus detach a waste.

Tough match up.

Guess is not a walk in the park like with my IH

Well today I had a match vs tyrands, what Trainwreck, stalker bolter useless, chapter doctrine useless, chapter tactics... Average, stragems mediocre at best(in this matchup) buffing saves is worthless against -4 or -6 AP, tank Hunter and vigilus detach a waste.

Tough match up.

Guess is not a walk in the park like with my IH

I'd say dont OVERLOAD on stalkers, marines have a good amount of anti horde and going just stalkers is not the best way to make an all comers list (unless you do that crazy 70 intercessor list that's been making the rounds from the GT) my "rounded" list is 2 10 man stalker squads supported by 2 infiltrators and 2 incursors along a bunch of other shooting like suppressors and inceptors, I use the stalkers and suppressors for hard targets like light vehicles or monsters but the other shooting is aimed squarely at my opponents infantry. Admittedly I've not played against tyranids yet (I'm actually the nid player in my local meta) but I do imagine it may be a tough matchup regardless.

Yeah i went full stalkers, my list was something like

Batallion, 2 x 8 intercessor , 2 x 5 infiltrators. 6 x bolter centurions, apothecary, primaris ancient, chaptermaster (eye of hypnoth), lieutenant.

Spearhead, commander, 3 eliminators, 3 whirlwind.

(1750)

I played badly, but overall I felt that didn't have the answers vs a horde list + some monsters, exocrenes and tyrants where hard to damage, had no real answers to T8 exocrene

Plus a goddam flytyrant locked my cents, close bolter strat did like 8 wounds but wasn't enough and then I run out of cp

I'll try again but with limited stalkers, more mobility