Chazzmos' Wolftime

Chazzmos

Thanks Lord Blackwood.  He'll more likely be used for frost axe whetting :D

I just wanted to share a really competitive game I had last night where I really learnt the power of the fight phase.  It's amazing what you can do!

We played 1250 points, Maelstrom of War.  He played Tau with his main things being a Riptide, 3 x Broadsides, and a Coldstar Commander.

I had 3 x Impulsors, each one with a squad of Intercessors in it and a character.  This was supported by two squads of Wulfen.

The crazy turn for me was when he screened against my Impulsors with squads of shield drones, quite far out from his next line (14" or so).  What I managed to do was:

• Charge a unit of Intercessors at the Shield Drones, getting them around and through a gap so the most advanced one was 8" away from his line.
  • I charged the rest of my units at the drones and got them through as far as possible.
  • After wiping all of the drones with  my support characters, I activated the first unit of Intercessors, who piled in 3" towards the next line and then consolidated 6" into the Broadsides and some Fire Warriors.

I actually misplayed it, as the Canticle of Hate was running, so the pile-in should have also been 6", which would have allowed more of my units to hit his line. 

So what I saw in action was the amazing power of being able to activate a unit that ​has charged when there is no unit within 1" while a Wolf Priest and Ragnar are within nearby.  This gives us an extra 12" move!  With our heroic intervention strategem (Counter-Charge) a unit could arguably move some of its models 18" during the opponent's turn.

Here is the list I ran:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [74 PL, -1CP, 1,250pts] ++

+ HQ +

Primaris Rune Priest [7 PL, 103pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 2. Tempest's Wrath, Psychic hood, Runic sword, The Armour of Russ
Primaris Wolf Priest [6 PL, 77pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate, Saga of the Wolfkin, Tale of the Wolf King and the Lord of the Deeps, Warlord
Ragnar Blackmane [6 PL, 120pts]

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: Auto Bolt Rifle, Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Veteran Intercessors
. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Pack Leader: Power fist
Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Auto Bolt Rifle, Auxiliary Grenade Launcher
Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 99pts]: Auto Bolt Rifle

+ Elites +

Wulfen [11 PL, 198pts]
. 4x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 4x Storm Shield, 4x Thunder Hammer
. 4x Wulfen
. Wulfen Pack Leader: Frost claws
Wulfen [11 PL, 162pts]
. 2x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 2x Storm Shield, 2x Thunder Hammer
. 4x Wulfen
. 2x Wulfen claws

+ Dedicated Transport +

Impulsor [6 PL, 97pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Shield Dome

++ Total: [74 PL, -1CP, 1,250pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Edited by Chazzmos

• 4 weeks later...

Time for my Intercessors to roll out in their Impulsors:

nUpl42S.jpg

uSrPVwi.jpg

Dk2TP6n.jpg

I've got my first 40k tournament coming up on Saturday to send off 8th Ed.  I'm really looking forward to it!  I'm going to run:

+ HQ +
Primaris Rune Priest [7 PL, 103pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 2. Tempest's Wrath, Psychic hood, Runic sword
Primaris Wolf Priest [6 PL, 77pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate, Saga of the Wolfkin, Tale of the Wolf King and the Lord of the Deeps, The Wulfen Stone, Warlord
+ Troops +
Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 102pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. Intercessor Pack Leader: Thunder hammer
Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
+ Elites +
Wulfen [11 PL, 198pts]
. 4x Wulfen
+ Heavy Support +
Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 168pts]
. Two twin lascannons: 2x Twin lascannon
+ Dedicated Transport +
++ Total: [72 PL, 8CP, 1,249pts] ++

I was considering dropping the Rune Priest and Dreadnought and adding another Primaris Wolf Priest and 5 x Wulfen, but the RP and Dreadnought are just too cool!

Time for my Intercessors to roll out in their Impulsors:

I've got my first 40k tournament coming up on Saturday to send off 8th Ed.  I'm really looking forward to it!  I'm going to run:

+ HQ +
Primaris Rune Priest [7 PL, 103pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 2. Tempest's Wrath, Psychic hood, Runic sword
Primaris Wolf Priest [6 PL, 77pts]: 6. Canticle of Hate, Saga of the Wolfkin, Tale of the Wolf King and the Lord of the Deeps, The Wulfen Stone, Warlord
+ Troops +
Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 102pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. Intercessor Pack Leader: Thunder hammer
+ Elites +
Wulfen [11 PL, 198pts]
. 4x Wulfen
+ Heavy Support +
Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 168pts]
. Two twin lascannons: 2x Twin lascannon
+ Dedicated Transport +
++ Total: [72 PL, 8CP, 1,249pts] ++

I was considering dropping the Rune Priest and Dreadnought and adding another Primaris Wolf Priest and 5 x Wulfen, but the RP and Dreadnought are just too cool!

That's going to be a really good core for your 9th Edition list, too.

Are you thinking that PF's will prove a cheap enough solution to lots of TH's?

Worth asking; TH's on ICPL's will get expensive fast, PF's might be a good enough, cheap enough, solution when points pinching is needed!

Asking for a fri---, no, asking for myself. I have lists to tweak! :wink:

Thanks everyone! Next up might need to be a Repulsor to transport my Aggressors, or maybe a murderball of Blade Guard Veterans, or maybe both!  I could put 3 Aggressors, 3 Blade Guard and a Character in there.... I just need to not roll many 1's when it gets shot to pieces...

@Valerian I've got most of the Primaris units all done with multiples of each, so it's nice having a lot to play with.  I want to add all of the Indomitus models, an Invictor or two, and maybe some converted WG Terminators.  I'm watching your thread with interest :D

Are you thinking that PF's will prove a cheap enough solution to lots of TH's?

Worth asking; TH's on ICPL's will get expensive fast, PF's might be a good enough, cheap enough, solution when points pinching is needed!

Asking for a fri---, no, asking for myself. I have lists to tweak! :wink:

Yeah, I think the PF's are fine on Intercessor Pack Leaders, but if you've got some spare points, upgrade to TH's.  I've magnetized mine so I can just swap them out.   There aren't many character upgrade options for Primaris HQ's, so if you've got a spare 5-10 points, it's usually a PL who gets a better weapon or an extra gun goes on a transport.

The highlight for me for a ICPL with a PF was a few games ago when there was a Tau Coldstar Commander with 4 Fusion Guns on top of a 7" rock.  The ICPL and his remaining pack mate survived the overwatch, rolled an 8 for the charge, scaled the cliff and punched the Xenos Scum straight off the rock to his death.

• 1 month later...

I haven't painted many Space Wolves of late as I've been finishing off some terrain and boards for 9th Ed.  I did start to convert my Indomitus crew a bit though.  I don't like an overly trinket laden model, so in most cases I've just gone for a single addition.

Done with the first half of the Intercessors:

8JWnSix.jpg

BYgWXD3.jpg

And the Bladeguard:

sAZlEEm.jpg

I'm not a fan of the head on the right for the Bladeguard, I need to swap it out.

Thanks everyone! It sure has been fun making them look a bit wolfier, though I do really like the base models.  Another big win was using blu-stuff and some epoxy clay to re-cast the hand on the back of the shields.  They're probably an 8/10 in quality, but it's enough behind a shield.  It's such handy stuff!

@Wispy  it's all you baby! Thanks for the idea :D

@Dantay Cheers! That's actually three Impulsors, they just looks very similar...

@Ranulf & NightHowler Ta!  I found it surprisingly easy after a bit of practice.

Anyone know how to BBCODE an image from a mobile browser?https://i.imgur.com/a/upFV4d5

Should just be ] and [/img (without the spaces), but you will need the actual board recognized image extension link (so the .jpg, .pmv, etc.), not the https link, or it will autoconvert it to the HTML link.

@Triszin Using Gravis helms is a great idea, I'll give it a try for sure and post a pic.

@Bryan I love the look of bare chest plates with a small icon in the middle.  I've never tried to remove one actually, that's a great idea to vary a few of them.