Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Marine New Releases & Codex 2.0

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2413 replies to this topic

The Doctor Of War

The Doctor Of War

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 288 posts
  • Faction: Vespidae Astra

The most interesting thing for me is the return of customizing successors with their own traits. My favourite Marine codex was back in the days where you picked positive and negative traits for your army. Hopefully we'll also see the return of a version of the Nid genus rules too.

• CaptainMarsh, Tipsy Techpriest and Redcomet like this

There was a saying in the Time War.
The First thing you notice about the Doctor of War is that he is unarmed.

For many, it's also the last.

Bev'an

Bev'an

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 197 posts

Codex is more-or-less as expected. Curious about the Supplements though.

Psychic Awakening... has a lot of potential. Obviously the story hook of "Humanity has been getting more and more psychic over time" has been around forever, if they finally pull the trigger on that in a big way, it could be really neat.

Hopefully they let Tzeentch capitalize properly.

My initial thought was holy hell the icon is similar to the sigilites but on looking at both side by side, not the same.

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,337 posts

i don't think this is a Blood Angels/Space Wolves/Dark Angels party. 

This feels like 5th edition redux, if anything. I expect they'll do all the 5th edition headliners, so.

Ko'sarro Khan

Shrike

He'stan

Pedro

Lysander

Feels right. Then give Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves proper releases unto themselves, 5th edition style.

Edited by Wispy, 03 August 2019 - 10:27 PM.

• Triszin likes this

ERJAK

ERJAK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,227 posts

There is no sarcophagus because the operator of the Invictus is not a gravely wounded/near death Marine but a normal Marine.

The sarcophagus is literally there, it's the whole torso. The Marine is placed in the space normally occupied by the tank with the crippled Marine in it, which is normally enclosed with ceramite. This guys is wearing one of the lighter forms of the armour (Infiltrator) and is really high and completely exposed, which is utterly ridiculous. What is he actually protected by since he can't use cover in that huge thing? Those bumpers and a prayer?

Why not give him the same kind of plate that would enclose that same chassis? There's no "coffin", there's a Marine that can exit the machine, but why lose the protection?

2iGtawH.jpg

It's just as ridiculous as this old dumb thing:

01.jpg

Counter point, that armor plating would add a ton of weight to the dreadnaught that's totally unnecessary considering the guy inside is already wearing a full suit of power armor. This build allows them to increase mobility and field of view with the pilot still protected from danger by his own armor.

Putting that heavy arse plate would offer additional protection, sure, but they're going for a low profile dreadnaught that can strike lightning fast out of infiltrate. The extra weight would be counter productive and the additional protection SHOULD be moot because you shouldn't be facing anything but hip-fire if you deploy this how it's meant to.

Basically, your idea is bad and the design here makes perfect sense for its purpose.

• mithrilforge, Noserenda, BassWave and 2 others like this

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,662 posts
  • Faction: Orks!
Like a lot of others, I feel like the Exo-Skellingdread would be much improved with an armored (or at least tinted glass) facade, but most everything looks nice otherwise.

Kinda weird about the Codex Supplements coming back into style, but I think we should probably all just accept that 40K is an uncontrolled rules sprawl now, and that’s the way they want it.
  • Master Commander Ajax and FlamingDeth like this

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 940 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

BA, DA and SW historically always follow quite swiftly after the main space marine codex so I wouldn't worry about their time in the sun just yet. Now I don't think it'll be a codex but possibly a much larger supplement compared to what the 6 shown here are. 

Most likely each supplement will come with an upgrade sprue considering we've now seen the UM,IF and WS have them. A Primaris character, most likely an old character will be primarised and released. They can't afford to ditch the old characters such as Shrike, Khan or Lysander. I'm ok with them being primarised. Wishlist would be a specific primaris unit also released with each supplement like assault marines for RG, bikes for WS etc. It's a longshot but as I said it's a wish.

As with any new release/codex/supplement regarding astartes the templars are out in full force ZEAL. I think you should cool the jets on any BT supp/release until we see what is in the Imperial Fists book. If you get rules in that you can obviously not expect your own supplement unfortunately.

Edit: Forgot to mention the choose your own tactics is a great and hopefully successful throwback.

Edited by Biscuittzz, 03 August 2019 - 10:28 PM.

• Felix Antipodes likes this

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 519 posts

The most interesting thing for me is the return of customizing successors with their own traits. My favourite Marine codex was back in the days where you picked positive and negative traits for your army. Hopefully we'll also see the return of a version of the Nid genus rules too.

I would be so in for that idea. The Nids are really stale as they are now

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,378 posts

BA, DA and SW historically always follow quite swiftly after the main space marine codex so I wouldn't worry about their time in the sun just yet. Now I don't think it'll be a codex but possibly a much larger supplement compared to what the 6 shown here are.

Lol we waited over a year this last time.
  • Sea-People likes this

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,747 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
I think there should be a single supplament for all of Dorn's main chapters.

Imperial Fists - various strats, relics, traits, Primaris Lysander, Upgrade Sprue

Crimson Fists - various strats, relics, traits, Primaris Pedro Kantor, Upgrade Sprue

Black Templars - various strats, relics, traits, Primaris Helbrecht, Grimaldus, Emperor's Champ. Chainsword upgrade pack

-Rogal Dorn

Imagine it...
  • Brother Chaplain Ryld, Lexington, jeremy1391 and 6 others like this

-~Ishagu~-

Biscuittzz

Biscuittzz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 940 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard/Grey Knights

More to do with the massive undertaken that was 8th ed in fairness probably, would you rather have been the Grey Knights who were practically index 2.0? 

Edited by Biscuittzz, 03 August 2019 - 10:41 PM.

• templargdt likes this

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,337 posts

codex dornknobs

• Lexington likes this

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,903 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

I am interested to see what this Psychic Awakening is all about. The codex is mandatory if it's good or not, the models do not really impress.  The transport looks like a floating work truck or the Marine version of the battle wagon body.  

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,337 posts

More to do with the massive undertaken that was 8th ed in fairness probably, would you rather have been the Grey Knights who were practically index 2.0? 

space wolves were basically index 2.0 though. was exactly what dark angels and blood angels players got in december/january, except we had to wait to the following november.

it was supposed to be out with the other 2 though, but got delayed for release schedule padding.

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,214 posts
  • Faction: Chaos and Tyranids.

The Dreadnought thingy seems oddly pointless- I like big stompy robots as much as the next guy but half the point of the Dreadnought is that entombment is permanent.

The rest is pretty cool though.

• Zebulon likes this

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but monkeys do too, if they've got a gun." -Inquisitor Edmund Izzardos, on Jokaero.

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,043 posts

no, from the looks. Our dex was done and ready with the rest of them, but they pulled it because the rightful complaint of 6 months of marine dexs and it was pushed to fill a gap.

wolves came out a 1.3 years after ( last week of aug 2018) the marine dex (june 2017), and we had replacement pdf's for pages in the book. and outdated pricing on models.( but the problems compounded by absence in the chapter approved 2018 and nothing the the spring faq)

:/

------------------

I am really curious to see the impuslor and the missle system load out.

Edited by Triszin, 03 August 2019 - 10:47 PM.

• Biscuittzz and General Strike like this
banana

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,173 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

This is mostly really cool. I think the walker looks dumb but it is nice to genuinely say that I like some of these Primaris models. It's also great that we (the spiky dudes) get shock assault, because the argument against that was one of the most stupid things I'd ever read. Ever. Hats off to GW.

However I need to make a traditional CSM related complaint. Given the close proximity of our codex releases it is very frustrating that loyalist SM are getting such a comprehensive re-do of their book with chapter supplements & successor tactics when all of our Legions are stuck in the same book (and the Renegades from Vigilus aren't even in there). Will this happen for us in the future? Probably. But it would have made far more sense to do it together with our Loyalist brethren and now we are miles behind in terms of versatility and coverage when we had parity only a few months ago.

Also, with this Psychic Awakening thing, we now have an answer for why the Chaos Sorcerer was not released with the earlier CSM wave.

• Marshal Rohr, Juggernut, Bryan Blaire and 3 others like this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Death Guard Warband: The Fourth Seal

Oshikai

Oshikai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 234 posts

The Dreadnought thingy seems oddly pointless- I like big stompy robots as much as the next guy but half the point of the Dreadnought is that entombment is permanent.

The rest is pretty cool though.

I get what you mean and felt the same at first, Thing is...its not a Dreadnought, its a Warsuit. Different Role, Different Name although similarities from a Tech Standpoint I guess. If thats something good is probably a matter of Taste.

Edited by Oshikai, 03 August 2019 - 10:52 PM.

My Vlka Fenryka

gallery_120877_15674_2721.png

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,008 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion

This is mostly really cool. I think the walker looks dumb but it is nice to genuinely say that I like some of these Primaris models. It's also great that we (the spiky dudes) get shock assault, because the argument against that was one of the most stupid things I'd ever read. Ever. Hats off to GW.

However I need to make a traditional CSM related complaint. Given the close proximity of our codex releases it is very frustrating that loyalist SM are getting such a comprehensive re-do of their book with chapter supplements & successor tactics when all of our Legions are stuck in the same book (and the Renegades from Vigilus aren't even in there). Will this happen for us in the future? Probably. But it would have made far more sense to do it together with our Loyalist brethren and now we are miles behind in terms of versatility and coverage when we had parity only a few months ago.

Also, with this Psychic Awakening thing, we now have an answer for why the Chaos Sorcerer was not released with the earlier CSM wave.

It's great that GW releases so many new models and content compared to say 4th and 5th, but you can really see them struggling to find a proper schedule. Chapter Approved basically being months out of date, books being held off to coincide with campaigns and splitting content with those campaigns, etc..

• Marshal Loss likes this

helterskelter

helterskelter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,576 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords Legion

-Rogal Dorn

Imagine it...

I do every time i see the stewing steak. He's been Dorn to pieces
I'll see myself out
  • Lexington, templargdt, Ishagu and 1 other like this
gallery_48988_10980_7442.png

My referal code for eternal crusade:EC-MHXKY9RLYIIEH

Gundric

Gundric

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 59 posts
  • Faction: White Scars, Death Guard.

If every chapter is getting a supplement and White Scars are getting a upgrade kit, I would think that the Imperial Fist supplement would be when they release the Imperial Fist upgrade as a standalone.

Does this mean that the others are getting upgrad sets as well?

Ultramarines and Fists already have theirs, White Scars are getting one. I hope a Iron Hands one will have at least a couple bionic bits.

Probably only be like the others and be the pads, a couple heads, a chest, and a couple weapons.

Is love a generic bionic kit to be hot. With the way Primaris legs are made a simple left or right leg swap would be easy, just replace the non bionic leg (or both) with the bionic part.

I'm personally looking forwards to a Raven Guard upgrade sprue, I've tried doing them in the past but freehanding that chapter symbol......

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 519 posts
I know Marines are the flagship line for GW and all that.

But the disparity between the amount of resources spent on them and literally every Xenos faction is starting to get depressing.
  • Brother Cristopher, alexkon3 and MoshJason like this

klisof

klisof

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 925 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
I'd rather not see the BT and IF rolled into one codex expansion, they have very distinct identities so they would both end up being short changed compared to a chapter with a whole expansion to itself. It would rather see the fists get one to themselves, a breacher style unit for them in 40k would be awesome.

Also where was the limit of six codex expansions confirmed?
Has GW actually said this or is it just based on the picture of the UM expansion + 5 redacted ones and everyone is assuming based on that?
There would be no need to redact the WS one shown earlier in the same update.

After finishing all the first founding chapters it would be great to see expansions for later chapters, maybe some of the badab war chapters or one or two of the Ultima founding primarus chapters. But only after covering all the first founding chapters.

klisof

klisof

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 925 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I know Marines are the flagship line for GW and all that.

But the disparity between the amount of resources spent on them and literally every Xenos faction is starting to get depressing.

I would love it if they gave the same treatment to Orks and Elder.

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 654 posts
Can we expect the master ‘dex and supplement treatment for the future codices now? I can see it for the heretic legions, guard regiments, and craftworlds for sure.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,792 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
nevermind

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 03 August 2019 - 11:13 PM.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users