Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Marine New Releases & Codex 2.0

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2413 replies to this topic

Volt

Volt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,104 posts
  • Faction: Anges de Vindication

This is just Centurions 2.0. The back and forth will continue until someone on IG makes a cool conversion that everyone copies and it’ll all smooth over.

Did anybody ever manage to actually make Centurions look good?

Edited by Volt, 17 August 2019 - 01:46 AM.

+Quod vult valde vult+

ShibeKing

ShibeKing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 308 posts

Shoot... I think Centurions look good. blush.png

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,179 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Not the time and place.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,697 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
The Impulsor shows how you make open topped vehicles. The front is armored like normal, the back is open. A Land Speeder is essentially a space marine little bird, come in fast for a gun run, speed away, as Volt pointed out. The liability of it being open topped and splattering the pilot is represented in its armor value of 10, being vulnerable to small arms. An open cockpit with controls protected only by a roll bar is an industrial design, is drivers can see around them. It’s not a military design.
  • Lexington, jeremy1391, Interrogator Stobz and 4 others like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

I'm planning to do what I've done forever with GW models where I don't like specific bits - convert it. Pop goes the monkey has some nice redemptor-sized chest plates with chapter iconography, or redemptor sarcophagus and/or chest plate are cheaply available from bitz sites, and even converting in a standard castraferrum dreadnought sarcophagus wouldn't be that hard, or just sticking some plasticard behind the rollcage bars for a dirt cheap solution.

I'm sure Invictor-specific 3d printed designs will be along shortly to otherwise replace the roll cage.

More productive than this discussion for what feels like for the 50th time, particularly in the 'news' thread.

Edited by Arkhanist, 17 August 2019 - 01:53 AM.

• Boldthreat and Volt like this

gallery_53969_15812_3395.gif gallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg gallery_48988_15465_4294.png gallery_48988_15094_4883.png

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,697 posts
Definitely just adding a plasticard front plate to this fixes it. It won’t be hard at all.
  • Boldthreat and Nusquam like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,633 posts

I note that I have not seen bike options for Chaplains or Librarians, and so I presume those will only appear in some of the Supplemental Codices: White Scars and Dark Angels I would guess.

Only a Khan on bike and the new updated Khan model in the White Scars for unit choices.

OK then I wasn't missing anything. 

It looks like a 'Smash Chaplain' might be fun; use a jump pack one and name him Hulk msn-wink.gif  S7 A4 AP -2 D:4 if the Litany goes off and if they work the way I think they work.

Index only for Chaplain and Librarian on Bike. They don't have current models. The Khan on Bike does.

• Volt likes this

Boldthreat

Boldthreat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts

I'm planning to do what I've done forever with GW models where I don't like specific bits - convert it. Pop goes the monkey has some nice redemptor-sized chest plates with chapter iconography, or redemptor sarcophagus and/or chest plate are cheaply available from bitz sites, and even converting in a standard castraferrum dreadnought sarcophagus wouldn't be that hard, or just sticking some plasticard behind the rollcage bars for a dirt cheap solution.

I'm sure Invictor-specific 3d printed designs will be along shortly to otherwise replace the roll cage.

Mode productive than this discussion for what feels like for the 50th time, particularly in the 'news' thread.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,697 posts
That has me fuming. The models do exist. We :cuss made them. We bought the models, converted them, and played with them for years. Stop this datasheet BS.

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 17 August 2019 - 01:54 AM.

• templargdt, Juggernut, Nusquam and 1 other like this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,633 posts

That has me fuming. The models do exist. We censored.gif made them. We bought the models, converted them, and played with them for years. Stop this datasheet BS.

Show me where on the website they are. Oh right. They haven't been a thing, officially, since 4th edition.

Also: You think that's bad? The Ork Warboss on Bike exists AS CURRENT  A MODEL. But isn't in the codex. Because the model is from Forge World.

Edited by Gederas, 17 August 2019 - 01:57 AM.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,697 posts
Right all of those things are stupid. That’s why they should stop doing them. We made models for them ourselves out of GW kits. End the datasheet BS and bring back customizable armies.

Dracos

Dracos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,317 posts
  • Faction: Primaris Warhawks

Mode productive than this discussion for what feels like for the 50th time, particularly in the 'news' thread.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Its the pieces below the harness we need to hide the pilots feet and waist. Hope he can make those I'll buy two :)

Hope is a moment now long past, the Shadow of Death is the one I cast

sml_gallery_7985_14167_21284.pnggallery_48988_10069_135.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_87434_12256_5320.png sml_gallery_7985_15940_5720.jpg

9eRaven Guard : 9 - 1
Imperial Knights : 3 - 2

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 839 posts

Okay, am I way late to the party in mentioning that they let us in on the names of the proprietary psyker schools for the Blood Angels and Death Angels in today's updates? (EDIT: I have been corrected on my woefully-incomplete knowledge of the Blood Angels and Dark Angels. Sorry for the false alarm).

EDIT: Also, if I'm not mistaken, didn't they make one very large omission from the list of Forge World units that get Combat Doctrines?

99560101569_AstraeusSuperheavyTank01.jpg

Edited by Lord Nord, 17 August 2019 - 02:47 AM.

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,633 posts

They'll probably update the PDF for the Astraeus when the codex comes out, because the Astraeus isn't in the Marines index.

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,544 posts

Okay, am I way late to the party in mentioning that they let us in on the names of the proprietary psyker schools for the Blood Angels and Death Angels in today's updates?

No. What madness do you speak of?

Dark Angels have had spells from the Interromancy and Blood Angels from the Sanguinary discipline for quite a long time. That's what their psychic tables are today in their respective codexes.

Is there something new we've missed?

Edited by Lemondish, 17 August 2019 - 02:37 AM.

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,790 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion

I think an armour-glass canopy along the lines of the storm talon would have looked great. Could have more HUD capability allowing for better peripherals or enhanced blink-click control; stuff that's suitably high-tech and space mariney while also giving a "lighter" appearance. 

• Dracos likes this

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 839 posts

Okay, am I way late to the party in mentioning that they let us in on the names of the proprietary psyker schools for the Blood Angels and Death Angels in today's updates?

No. What madness do you speak of?

Dark Angels have had spells from the Interromancy and Blood Angels from the Sanguinary discipline for quite a long time. That's what their psychic tables are today in their respective codexes.

Is there something new we've missed?

Only that I know NOTHING about Dark Angels and Blood Angels, I guess. I thought their psykers used the Librarius discipline.

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,323 posts
  • Faction: Templars, Sisters, Chaos

You guys do realise Space Marine bikers are a more silly concept, potentially? The first pothole would send Marines flying and they have no protection. Landspeeders are the same.

Why is the Astartes armour in a landspeeder perfectly fine, but here it's suddenly a problem?

Landspeeders actually have armor and sloped cockpits with only the gunner being exposed, and are also a fast moving skimmer meant to only briefly engage the enemy instead of a slow moving walker. Bikes likewise would be one of the most realistic units in 40k if they were only equipped with hunter killers and lascannons instead of plasma guns and meltaguns.
Translation? Handwavium for old stuff apparently.

I stand by the thought that the Invictus is likely based on the old STC mankind used before the Dark Ages and the Emperor had them stick a life support coffin in it.

Now we've gone back to that original design but slapped guns on it.
No, because those units are specifically not designed to be shot at. This would be like making a tank with an open concept design for a hull, and then saying it's perfectly reasonable because aircraft only have 10mm or less armor. The entire point of the fast mover is that it doesn't get shot at because it's only there briefly, relying on mobility above armor for survival. That's not the case with the Invictor, which is a large lumbering war suit that towers over the battlefield and is such a large silhouette that even a crosseyed cultist with an autocannon could splatter the pilot.
-Warhounds- are recon vehicles for titans.

Heck, Sentinels are tall, operate in groups and the scout varients are just as open topped but the guy inside only wears flak armour.

Being lightweight and quieter than most Marine vehicles (not a hard feat since few of them are even "relatively" quiet) able to go behind enemy lines to perform recon or support a unit that isn't stupid. I can, and have hammered on this point on how this can work several times (not all of them here) since this model was announced but let's put it aside for a moment and look at some other things.

Ready? Okay. So Shrike, an 8' tall humanoid in black and white power armour with a JUMP PACK is a covert unit. So is a unit of Space Marine Scouts on Motorcycles. So are Scout Sentinels. So are Land Speeder Storms.

None of these are small, even "relatively" quiet and yet no one cares.

Moving on to all this demand for real world common sense seems to forget that thus is a setting that flips the bird to square-cube law, conservation of motion, and physics in general. Dang near no one wears protective gear properly or use seat restraints.

This is a setting where people charge head first through enemy fire to stab people with daemonically possessed prison shanks. This is also the same setting that laughs at blood loss from catastrophic amputations.

Space Marine aircraft doesn't even fly as much as it falls forward towards the horizon faster than it does the ground.

And that's not even getting into the Space locusts, fungoid Orks with genetic memory, BDSM powered elves, soul powered robots, and a dozen other things that don't -really- follow common sense.

Basically I think people are too busy nitpicking stuff because it's new (especially if it's new and Primaris) to realize how silly is to complain about the exposed cockpit on a walker that has an unarmoured engine block and is being piloted by a 9' tall human wrapped in armour as good as most tanks and can shrug off explosive shells the size of soda cans that would break a lesser man's bones from the impact alone.

Basically in a setting made of piling the ridiculiousness up past 11 griping about this sort of thing is just a -bit- silly.

Edited by Fulkes, 17 August 2019 - 05:06 AM.

• andes, Dracos, Juggernut and 4 others like this

My company inform me that their new primaris brother just don't fit in the safety harnesses. And the Chaplain won't let us ride unless we buckle up.

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,323 posts

Right all of those things are stupid. That’s why they should stop doing them. We made models for them ourselves out of GW kits. End the datasheet BS and bring back customizable armies.

Never going to happen in this post Chapterhouse landscape.

My company inform me that their new primaris brother just don't fit in the safety harnesses. And the Chaplain won't let us ride unless we buckle up.

Felix Antipodes

Felix Antipodes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 764 posts
  • Faction: Fighting Furies

I think an armour-glass canopy along the lines of the storm talon would have looked great. Could have more HUD capability allowing for better peripherals or enhanced blink-click control; stuff that's suitably high-tech and space mariney while also giving a "lighter" appearance.

This is exactly what I've thought from the first sighting. I will be investigating a way to do this and, if successful I will have two of them.
  • Dracos likes this

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,323 posts

This is exactly what I've thought from the first sighting. I will be investigating a way to do this and, if successful I will have two of them.
Shave the bars down on the back so they're thinner and then glue bits of clear plastic cut out from blister packs?
  • Felix Antipodes likes this

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,280 posts

You guys do realise Space Marine bikers are a more silly concept, potentially? The first pothole would send Marines flying and they have no protection. Landspeeders are the same.

Why is the Astartes armour in a landspeeder perfectly fine, but here it's suddenly a problem?

Landspeeders actually have armor and sloped cockpits with only the gunner being exposed, and are also a fast moving skimmer meant to only briefly engage the enemy instead of a slow moving walker. Bikes likewise would be one of the most realistic units in 40k if they were only equipped with hunter killers and lascannons instead of plasma guns and meltaguns.
Translation? Handwavium for old stuff apparently.

I stand by the thought that the Invictus is likely based on the old STC mankind used before the Dark Ages and the Emperor had them stick a life support coffin in it.

Now we've gone back to that original design but slapped guns on it.

No, it’s based on the Redemptor, which was designed by Cawl.
  • Panzer likes this

CaptainMarsh

CaptainMarsh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,102 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Vigilant Heart

This back and forth is tiring because it is entirely about subjective opinion, like arguing about which color is prettiest.

Its bad because X.
Its good because Y.
X though.

Y though.
X!
Y!

• Rik Lightstar, Juggernut and Majorbookworm like this

Pieces of paper for impassable terrain? My main problem with all of this is it really takes away from the game. A giant sheet of white paper on the table sort of breaks the theme of tiny fake armies running around tiny fake locales.

Real men play Adepta Sororitas!

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,305 posts
The problem is that the kit needs too much work to make it look good imo. My issue with plasticard is that it ends up looking like a small square of card. I lack the skills to make it look good.a conversion kit from a third party is a good idea but it makes the whole thing too expensive.

Gw could have anticipated this after the dreadknight feedback and included an alternative armoured shield in the kit. Then again when the design brief was a scout dreadnought they could have come out with an update of the smaller rogue trader era dread, complete with snarling cockpit face as a tie in to the reiver helms, but instead they went with industrial walker.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,610 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
I remember the Centurion complaints, and there were even complaints about the Stormtalon.

Basically, if it's something new there's a vocal element that hates it. No one has to buy it, but they will attack it over and over again.

I don't even like it that much, but it's no more "silly" than dozens of other kits and lores.

-~Ishagu~-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users