Wolves 2.0 Speculation

PeteySödes

I remain sceptical, don`t think we will getting much new apart from the new primaris Units and maybe Litanies.

I rather fear that they will Limit some possible Synergies like Schock Assault for Wulfen and other stacking Attack Buffs.

ya, I think Wulfen atm are really well balanced for their cost. another attack on them might be a little much imho

I think with how strong our codex is in general we probably need a couple of units that are over powered. Typically what makes armies competitive is having a 3-4 units in that category, in 8th wulfen would be our one (and this coming from someone who never really liked that ideal so will never run them).

I wonder if we will get successor traits as well, as we know we have the wolf Spear among other unknown successors. Or we could get company traits. I just want more options for our wolves.

I think company/successor tactics would be cool, but I think the "make your own successor" traits should be tied to the vanilla marine book.  I've made my own primaris chapter and its kinda tough to justify the no apothecary thing fluff wise. Plus they would have spent a really good chunk of their careers being influenced by Guilliman. So I really could see myself going with the new successor rule if I can find a pair that is flavorful enough. 

Don't get your hopes up chaps. We're not exactly high on G'dubs most wanted list. We'll get basic improvements and nothing more. I've always felt the imagination and passion held by space wolf players is poorly matched by GW's output and thought for the faction. Hate to be negative, but just don't set yourself up for another round of disappointment on the level of our codex release. 

I remain sceptical, don`t think we will getting much new apart from the new primaris Units and maybe Litanies.

You are probably right. I briefly got my hopes up when they started talking about a Stormraven to carry Bjorn into battle but they retracted that one pretty pronto.

The one addition I would love, just give me Grav for my Long Fangs. Pretty please.....

the new marine dex will probably be full of new strats for old and new primaris units , which will open new mechanics and uses for them on the battlefield (also add the newlitanies,doctrines etc).How unfair it would be for chapters not included in this book but have/will gain access to those primaris units... to not get those rules ( or get them months or years later like our previous codex where most of them were already outdated in terms of efficiency). ..i hope access to those new rules  will be included in that pdf and not only data sheets and a universal marine rule...time will tell but like

many of you ...i dont think it will happen....

Edited by lonewolf81

You are probably right. I briefly got my hopes up when they started talking about a Stormraven to carry Bjorn into battle but they retracted that one pretty pronto.

The one addition I would love, just give me Grav for my Long Fangs. Pretty please.....

Air dropping wulfen dreads and shield dreads might make them playable again

The loss of 3++ blizzard shields and knight meta made me sad bc dreads are anti knight target practice basically

Time wise, I don't expect a new wolf book for 1.5 years.

I also suspect we will be getting access to everything like they claimed before they redacted it. Which I'm fine with.

Even though, get knights and wolves, the only way to fix them is with new books imho

Edited by Triszin

If we get nothing but access to new units and no changes to our chapter tactic etc. we will remain the worst space marine army and frankly the worst army in 8th. Our codex is terrible and needs work.

GW backtracking the kind sounding "we just get it all" statement is kinda sad.

SW's are seriously strong on the assault, and with the way things are shaping up, they should have not removed the way things were stated beforehand.

I don't need to wait nearly two years to get stuff they could just PDF allow access to me as a player.

What I DO like is that it was up at all. If it was meant to be a surprise, maybe they should reassess the way they dish out 'surprises' in the future.

Meh. Still, the game will move on.

Eh, at least we can still sandbag then lol. TBH I’ve come to enjoy the looks on faces when I pull one off in a competitive environment. I’m probably around a 50/50 win rate competitively still.

With no power comes no responsibility etc. I would have liked something for our vehicles though like other chapters got. What that would be I’m not sure. Maybe allow for talismanic shields to be used once per battle round or something. Useful but not broken.

GW backtracking the kind sounding "we just get it all" statement is kinda sad.

SW's are seriously strong on the assault, and with the way things are shaping up, they should have not removed the way things were stated beforehand.

I don't need to wait nearly two years to get stuff they could just PDF allow access to me as a player.

What I DO like is that it was up at all. If it was meant to be a surprise, maybe they should reassess the way they dish out 'surprises' in the future.

Meh. Still, the game will move on.

were not dead last, were 2nd to dead last ;P

Poor grey knights :(

I'd rather not be overpowered, all I ask for is a fun, fluffy well balanced book.

As much as I'd like an updated chapter trait, I can't help but think it would be kinda fluffy for our vehicles to gain +1 to hit. After all, the Wolves are known for their reckless use of their vehicles, I love the visual of violently ramming my rhinos into enemy lines.

As much as I'd like an updated chapter trait, I can't help but think it would be kinda fluffy for our vehicles to gain +1 to hit. After all, the Wolves are known for their reckless use of their vehicles, I love the visual of violently ramming my rhinos into enemy lines.

You know, heroic intervention via vehicle, specifically allowing disembarking units the turn they disbark then heroically intervene.....

What fun shenanigans.

I have this image in my head off space wolves crashing their storm wolf into the ground in front of the enemy, while jumping out of it mod crash to engage them.

Wolf: Ahhan excellent drop pod!

Ultramarine: that's a landraider, most holy and sacred

Wolf: drop pod, were just gonna drive/drop it out the cargo Bay and run out of it. If it can still move after the combat neat, quicker way to the tavern

Edited by Triszin

Considering space marine chapters make up half of the faction list when you tot it up, you'd think they'd spend more time on designing them. I love that we got our own codex, but it's no way on the level of the last one. Playing space wolves feels like you might as well just be playing ultrasmurfs at the moment. The only lists that do well are lists that just sit on your side of the board and gun your opponent down. Which clearly has nothing to do with anything ever written about space wolves. You're just sort of sitting there repping the colours but not really doing the thing that all of the stories suggests they do...

The only way I could see it working is getting a few chapter traits to pick from. Which would make perfect sense considering how our faction fits together. Shame it won't happen though. Having a trait that allows advancing followed by a charge would make amazing sense. Or just transpose the rest from the new update and call them something else. White scars are looking really good right now...

For those not checking in on the Facebook page here is what was said when a blood Angel's player asked if he would need the new codex or if the pdf would have everything:

"Hey Alisdair,

As a Blood Angels player you would only need the PDF update, this will contain the new units you will be able to use, as well as any updated rules that will effect the less codex complaint chapters.

Just a heads up that Blood Angels, Dark Angels etc. will be getting access to the new datasheets in the codex, not every datasheet in the codex."

So it sounds like the pdf will be a larger document containing all the sheets we have access to. And it also sounds like the odds of getting a stormraven have dwindled. That is likely why they deleted the post about stormraven Bjorn.

So looking at the custom chapter tactics, you can mix and match them and 2 stand out "fight on the move" and "crusader". These two would give you the ability to advance and charge and also reroll your charges. For me that is almost worth going to the codex compliant side, except I would lose the wulfen rules, wolf priest, and stormwolf. I guess the later is mostly dead, for me, as it can't take primaris sadly.

Simon Grant just posted:

“There's an article that will explain all going live today, folks.”

So I guess we’ll see.

Cmon litanies and combat disciplines...

Though if all our stuff is going into a pdf that makes me pessimistic about whether we get them

Unless

We get unique ones which would be cool as heck

For those not checking in on the Facebook page here is what was said when a blood Angel's player asked if he would need the new codex or if the pdf would have everything:

"Hey Alisdair,

As a Blood Angels player you would only need the PDF update, this will contain the new units you will be able to use, as well as any updated rules that will effect the less codex complaint chapters.

Just a heads up that Blood Angels, Dark Angels etc. will be getting access to the new datasheets in the codex, not every datasheet in the codex."

So it sounds like the pdf will be a larger document containing all the sheets we have access to. And it also sounds like the odds of getting a stormraven have dwindled. That is likely why they deleted the post about stormraven Bjorn.

This is very clear. Access to all Primaris, but everything else in the book no access. The statement ",,,as well as any updated rules..." applies to the pdf.

Simon Grant just posted:

So I guess we’ll see.

Though if all our stuff is going into a pdf that makes me pessimistic about whether we get them

Unless

I don't mind If we miss out on litanies because our wolf priests can heal other models which is pretty unique.

Simon Grant just posted:

So I guess we’ll see.

Unless

I don't mind If we miss out on litanies because our wolf priests can heal other models which is pretty unique.

No way that’s a raw deal. What we get is apothecary-light because they cant have wulfen coming back. Our Wolf priests are every bit as chaplain as codex.