Wolves 2.0 Speculation

PeteySödes

If anything I think we deserve our own unique litanies table, focused on Fenrisian myth and shamanistic incantations. 

Also, I hope we get access to thunderfire cannons, they would be super useful for dealing with tempestus scion alpha strikes (via chooser of the slain), and for slowing the advance of ork boy and termagaunt rushes (tremor shells strategem).

A week ago the thought of being less wolf and more codex compliant was anathema to me.

I see the new angle they're taking, still nothing. But half an hour ago I typed 'Astartes' into YouTube and goodness gracious. I need more Primaris urgently.

This army is going in a very new direction, gripes or no I care not, nerfs or no I care not, my inspiration is rekindelled and I apologise for possible derailing, not my intent. I must paint at once.

So I'm a little confused (doesn't take much ahaha), would a space wolf successor chapter have access to unique space wolf units, codex compliant units and be able to pick a choose the from the new traits? 

So looking at the custom chapter tactics, you can mix and match them and 2 stand out "fight on the move" and "crusader". These two would give you the ability to advance and charge and also reroll your charges. For me that is almost worth going to the codex compliant side, except I would lose the wulfen rules, wolf priest, and stormwolf. I guess the later is mostly dead, for me, as it can't take primaris sadly.

Stormwolf is still great. It has lots of dakka and it transports Wulfen.

So I'm a little confused (doesn't take much ahaha), would a space wolf successor chapter have access to unique space wolf units, codex compliant units and be able to pick a choose the from the new traits?

Near as I can tell s space wolf successor would come out of the wolf dex which is not being released right now. This release is codex marines. That said you could make a "successor " using codex units and the successor rules but no access to wolf units outside alliance.

I will be very surprised if they put the full data sheets in this faq

I wouldn't. They come free in the units why not include them in the temp update for the rest of us, it's not like it would be difficult. They seem to be making it clear we dont need to buy this book to play our army.

I think it depends on how the keywords are treated. As it stands, if you made an Imperial fist successor, while you can make the tactics match, I'm not certain they've said whether you can take its strats and gear.

I think the problem is that there are a lot of specialty units in the non adherent chapters that should you be able to swap tactics could get busted really fast.

Blood Angels, Space Wolves and Dark Angels:
Captain in Phobos Armour
Librarian in Phobos Armour
Lieutenant in Phobos Armour
Eliminator Squad
Incursor Squad
Infiltrator Squad
Suppressor Squad
Invictor Tactical Warsuit
Impulsor
Primaris Repulsor Executioner
The full datasheets and matched play points values for each of these units will soon be available as a free PDF download for each of these Chapters, along with the rules for the Shock Assault ability.* Essentially, if you collect one of these Chapters, you can still pick up Codex: Space Marines for all the expanded lore, background and aforementioned datasheets, but you don’t need it to add the new units to your collection and use them in battle – your codex is still fully functional!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/07/space-marines-preview-new-unitsgw-homepage-post-1/

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

Meanwhile the codex marines get the following included, we do not.

Angels of Death: Combat Doctrines
Combat Doctrines represent the structured way in which adherents of the Codex Astartes overcome any adversary. First of all, they bombard their enemies from afar with heavy weaponry, then they advance on their positions while delivering punishing volleys of bolter fire, before charging in to crush whatever’s left in brutal melee.

Veterans of previous editions may remember that the Ultramarines had a form of this ability a number of years back. Now, it doesn’t just apply to them, but to all of the Chapters (and any successor Chapters you’ve created) that use the rules from Codex: Space Marines. Here’s how it works…

Your Space Marines will begin the battle with the Devastator Doctrine active. At the start of any of your turns (after the first), you can choose to change from the Devastator Doctrine to the Tactical Doctrine, and again on a later turn, from the Tactical Doctrine to the Assault Doctrine. Once you’ve changed doctrines, you can’t go back – your Space Marines are already committed –but your current doctrine will remain active for the remainder of the battle unless changed. Here are the benefits you can look forward to while each doctrine is active – suffice it to say that your opponent’s saving throws are in for a shock!

SMPreview-Aug7-DevastatorDoctrine-58fj.j

SMPreview-Aug7-TacticalDoctrine-458v.jpg

SMPreview-Aug7-AssaultDoctrine-398fj.jpg

The assault doctrine makes our pistol stratagem give them -1ap a little useless now becauseit's universal to codex marines, kinda taking our edge off.

Read again :sad.:, they never Mention that we are getting the Angels of Death Rule! They explicitly state that we are getting Schock Assault...no Doctrines for us. Thats the first things that REALLY annoys me about all those News.

I knows why I said the stratagem is useless  because it's universal for everyone but us. Everyone has access to it for free, while we pay CP to use it for a unit per turn (or even per game depending on local rules). I remember that being GW making a big scene that we could use bolters with -1 ap in CQC and it was just for SWs. Now codex marines get it for free and it even effects that new walkers pistol and their troops heavy pistols.

This primaris thing is turning into a joke I feel and I'm really salty about this, and still no melee weapons.

Mmmmmm Im not going to panic just yet about the doctrine thing. Ive been around the block long enough to not 100% trust the way those articles are laid out.

Edit: NM Simon Grant confirmed no doctrines. Now I rage panic.

Edited by PeteySödes

On The Space Wolves FB group our designer responded that we are not getting Combat Doctrines but he believes we will get something suited for us in the future. No timetable for that. Just "later on".

Would be nice for my missile Long Fangs to have gotten that Devastator Doctrine. -1AP frag or more AP on krak would have been pretty cool.

If...

If SW's get the +1 A to Wulfen on the Charge, per the Angels of Death ability, I think we're going to see some changes to the core army for SW's.

If SW's get the +1 A to Blood Claws, they're going to be deadly with Wulfen nearby.

If SW's get +1 A to GH's, they're strong in shooting, the chance to push with Melee even better might help out.

Intercessors with -2 AP would never be a bad thing, but the SW's might not get the Tactical Doctrine, in fact, likely will not...

Yeah, there's plenty to be cautiously optimistic about. They could have kept the whole, "Stormraven in Bjorn!" and it would have helped my mood. I think that should be allowed. I do hope that GW realizes that the option to do just this very thing is a great chance to let the Wolves shine on the table, if just a little.

Still, GW is known for being unclear on what they expect out of their games; so, I wait, and wonder why, above all else, I'm not the only tired, sorry soul stuck with a plasti-crack army that can't do what other plasticrack can...

Oh well, just keep waiting, it seems.

Don't worry, we will get doctrines, litanies and the other generic marine stuff in 1.5 years from now (when they will be outaded from new tau, new eldar, new guard, etc) :smile.:

Eeeexactly this. We had to wait 1.5 years for our coded in 8th only to get a crap codex. Now we aren't getting any of the new things codex SM are getting except shock assault and new Primaris units. We were already tied with Grey Knights as the worst army in 8th. I didn't think we could get worse but here we are. The power gap between codex SM and SW is gaping at this point.