Pyschic Awakening: Speculation

Triszin

If they were releasing a Primarch soon they'd have done it in the run-up to christmas. No way they hold back a major release like that until after the holiday shopping season.

Were Guilliman, Magnus or Mortarion released a xmas tho ?

One would argue on the other hand that they have plenty to bolster sales this christmas (battleforces, sisters, ...) ; maybe the smart move would be to push a primarch in what is a business lull, to push up sales then.

Considering the current state of the Galaxy, I think both of them would have their hands rather full to argue with Guilliman too much before realizing they've got bigger fish to fry. For Russ, Fenris is not exactly doing fine, Magnus is on the loose and Sortiarius on realspace, and depending on the events of Ritual of the Damned and Saga of the Beast, the Thousand Sons situation could become even more complicated and Ghaz could become a direct menace for the Wolves. For the Lion, well, Luther's on the loose and most likely mobilizing the Fallen, and who knows what Cypher's up to. Ritual of the Damned could make things even more dire for them too, depending on what happens in that Volume.

I think after an initial "what the hell have you done" and asserting the situation, they might, albeit temporarily, be content with Guilliman doing the Imperium's "paperwork", while they deal with their own issues. Of course, Russ' stance depends on how much he has changed as a person during his absence, and how aware he is of things that have happened outside the Warp. The Lion is in the same conundrum Guilliman was and there is no other scenario for him but to catch up on what has happened just like Guilliman did, but with Russ they can easily make up a scenario in which he already knows everything that has happened since he went into the Eye. Warp stuff, you know how it is.

Edited by DeadFingers

Who would argue with Guillian more, the Lion or the Wolf? Probably the Lion, I think.

Definitely the Lion. Russ would have some strong words for Guilliman and be loud and everything but once things settled they'd work together and complement eachother. The Lion would be a constant voice of critique for Guilliman and something he has to face in a more diplomatic way.

Considering the state of the galaxy (great rift, more and more tyranids, more and more necrons, T'au being able to access a different part of the galaxy now, Eldar got their new deathgod, Daemon Primarchs being active again) it would be better for Guilliman if someone like Russ would come back as Guilliman is already swamped by paperwork so he can't be out there and lead armies like he would like to and he would need someone that does exactly this without arguing all the time.

Which one of the two would make for better storytelling? Eh I don't know. GW main studio sucks at storytelling as is so it would depend on whoever writes the novels. Though personally I don't really want to see yet another thing Guilliman has to deal with. I want to see someone going out there getting things done personally. So that's why I would prefer to see Russ over Lion next.

So, I know it's been memed into oblivion, but would having the Lion turn traitor (though not Chaos) be an interesting story point? Have Luther (plus potentially Cypher) become the Primarch level character for Loyalist Dark Angels?

EDIT: I am _not_ suggesting that Dark Angels are, were, or should be traitorous!

EDIT.2: wasn't Aun'va (or whatever the chief ethereal's name was) killed in the books vs RG and WS? A new ethereal character could be a lot more interesting than a third Battlesuit character (and I believe there's already a firewarrior sergeant style character)

No. GW won't have any majour character or subfaction switch sides because it would just create a huge :cuss storm from people who were collecting the according army for years already. Having the probably most important character of that army switching sides would be just insulting and satisfy no one.

Like, I could be 1000% wrong on this, and maybe the return of Lion El'Johnson and Russ gets announced next week, who knows, but it's just my intuition based on how they've set the story up and what I can tell of their internal thought processes.

I don't think that we will see ANY primarch returning in the middle of psychic awakening. Primarch are too major and important to be just squeezed into some minor release schedule. Returning of a primarch is THE event so it must be treated that way. The only possibility I see for one to return is at the end of the psychic awakening. I also do not see any room now for any loyalist - probably the PA will end up with either Fulgrim or Angron entering the fray. I was hoping for Lion to finally awake but it's not likely to happen. 

On the other hand Guilliman was released as a part of gathering storm campaign, although at the end of it so who knows ?

Edited by bevulf

So, I know it's been memed into oblivion, but would having the Lion turn traitor (though not Chaos) be an interesting story point? Have Luther (plus potentially Cypher) become the Primarch level character for Loyalist Dark Angels?

I'd rather he invoke an Imperial civil war than turn to Chaos. It's a lot less likely to upset 'his' fanbase, whilst also giving potential lore excuse as to why 50% of tabletop battles (Space Marine vs Space Marine) might actually be fluffy.

If they were releasing a Primarch soon they'd have done it in the run-up to christmas. No way they hold back a major release like that until after the holiday shopping season.

Were Guilliman, Magnus or Mortarion released a xmas tho ?

One would argue on the other hand that they have plenty to bolster sales this christmas (battleforces, sisters, ...) ; maybe the smart move would be to push a primarch in what is a business lull, to push up sales then.

Magnus released in early December.

Gulliman was in February.

Mortarion was in late September.

Edited by Lord Marshal

No. GW won't have any majour character or subfaction switch sides because it would just create a huge :censored: storm from people who were collecting the according army for years already. Having the probably most important character of that army switching sides would be just insulting and satisfy no one.

After what they done with Malekith in Fantasy, everything is possible i guess :(

No. GW won't have any majour character or subfaction switch sides because it would just create a huge :cuss storm from people who were collecting the according army for years already. Having the probably most important character of that army switching sides would be just insulting and satisfy no one.

After what they done with Malekith in Fantasy, everything is possible i guess :(

Don't open old wounds my dude. :(

So... Speculation that Sisters are in a later book, and get Ephrael Stern.

She's showed up at least in the 1st one as a person of interest, and is mentioned in the sisters codex (supposedly. Haven't gotten my hands on it yet)

Also, they likely wouldn't give sisters a focus before their codex comes out, so will likely be one of the last books, and will give the imperium a new Living Saint?

I have serious doubts that the Sisters will be in another book, seeing as they featured pretty heavily in the faith and fury lore and had a big release at the same time.

Was it though? Did they get any rules in it, like a of the other factions? And it wasn't a general release. We can't buy the codex.

Sisters got a stratagem specific to one mission... its not much but it cover the "with rules for all these factions" promise...

Wich is something that made me think, what if the first picture they showed, the one that lacked sisters of battle, admech and space wolves symbols actually was NOT a mistake. And these 3 are next up in line for a 9th edition fitting codex, and werent getting quickpatch rules in psychic awakening (wich despite all the hype regarding narrative campaign, is more a quick creative way to update rules and old models so far.)

Because, as far as "bigger" releases accompanying a codex go, between what we know (Sisters of battle) what is highly suggested through GW ( Adeptus mechanicus ) and what is rumored (Space wolves) these are coincidentally the factions that were missing in the first image.
Along this line I could see Saga of the Beast actually being Imperial guard vs Orks, with ghazkull as the accompanying "champion" and Space wolves being a side attraction initially, just a setup narrative for a Space wolves vs Orks starterbox, directly followed by a codex and release wave for space wolves with orks followig near the end of the year.

I don't expect another loyalist Primarch to be released until the end of PA at the earliest. Who that will be I don't know, but I'm leaning towards the Lion. If I was Guilliman I'd send him north of the rift on a crusade to recover Nihilis, along with all the Unforgiven.

Then I expect Fulgrim to be released as a foil to the Lion to restore the chaos numbers supremacy.

The Collector's Edition also includes an expanded background section which features brand-new narrative and as well as three short stories that were released to coincide with the Psychic Awakening:

The short stories I know about, but what about the "16 pages of extra background material"? Did anybody get the collector's edition for Faith & Fury? Curious to see if there was a "pay to see the ending" thing going on here...

The Collector's Edition also includes an expanded background section which features brand-new narrative and as well as three short stories that were released to coincide with the Psychic Awakening:

The short stories I know about, but what about the "16 pages of extra background material"? Did anybody get the collector's edition for Faith & Fury? Curious to see if there was a "pay to see the ending" thing going on here...

None I noticed I’ll look again later

Pa4.

Speculation

Dark angels deploy to prospero/sorverors planet due to reports of fallen.

Dark angels are runningaroundim circles chasing the reports.

Revealed tsons are creating fallen illusions, insert.

Tsons are attpting to steal awakening psykers and funnel them to him/tzeemtch.

Dark angels are outgunned but greyknights show up.

Greyknights and da are not able to stop magnus and his ritual. It is starting to siphon awakening psykers to tzeemtch.

The astronomicom starts to dim

Found this on Reddit and there is a kinda pay to see KEY BLOODY LORE right here. A little pissed off by this move, GW.

Pa4.

Speculation

Dark angels deploy to prospero/sorverors planet due to reports of fallen.

Dark angels are runningaroundim circles chasing the reports.

Revealed tsons are creating fallen illusions, insert.

Tsons are attpting to steal awakening psykers and funnel them to him/tzeemtch.

Dark angels are outgunned but greyknights show up.

Greyknights and da are not able to stop magnus and his ritual. It is starting to siphon awakening psykers to tzeemtch.

The astronomicom starts to dim

It's time for Terminus Decree. Open that wooden box, buds

Found this on Reddit and there is a kinda pay to see KEY BLOODY LORE right here. A little pissed off by this move, GW.

Wow, some of the things here have pretty massive implications. And the cliffhangers are interesting, since I find it very unlikely that they'll revisit one of these settings in another PA Volume, if the rumours about their number are true. So either the rumours are wrong and Psychic Awakening will keep going and we'll come back to each conflict, or the "reinforcements from the Warp" will be revealed come the new edition.

Also worth pointing out that World Eaters and Emperor's Children, despite getting rules witht he book, are completely absent from the narrative. Maybe they're the "reinforcements", maybe it's something else and the two Legions will have a different place to shine, maybe a bit of both, who knows. Time will tell.

Not to sound like a broken record, but if that's not Endless Spells in 40k manifesting I don't know what is... right down to the 'holy manifestations' for the devout/non-psyker factions.

Also I know I was sure looking forward to another story where Chaos invades a world and oh no the Imperials are totally doomed guys, until reinforcements show up and beat them back, until it turns out Chaos seeded a super secret scheme to totally win in the future guys, except they get driven back anyway and it's called a stalemate.

Not to sound like a broken record, but if that's not Endless Spells in 40k manifesting I don't know what is... right down to the 'holy manifestations' for the devout/non-psyker factions.

Pretty much. Flock of golden eagles, pillar of purging flame, Emperor angelic/golden spirits, that's three that sound very specific and uh, sculptable, for lack of a better word. Almost like their descriptions are based on models they've had in a shelf somewhere for a while.